Two nights on Lake Verret | SouthernPaddler.com

Two nights on Lake Verret

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Leaving at daylight for two days of camping along Lake Verret. Campsite is only about 2 miles from the put-in. Setting up camp early leaves a lot of free time for SET's (spontaneous exploration tangents). There are quite a few sloughs, coulees and bayous I haven't explored in that area yet. I'll be packing my scoped Ruger Mark II .22 to defend myself against errant squirrels and such. :) I'm also bringing the fly rod, but don't think the water will be very good since it was stirred up by Gustav.

I'll post a few piccies when I return.

Later

Joey

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Left Friday morning at daylight. Put in was 5 miles down a gravel road.
putin.jpg

A short 20 minute paddle to the entrance to Lake Verret. This view always quickens my pulse. Adventure begins.
ontolake.jpg

Just through that opening and onto the lake. I'm heading around that point and another half mile to the campsite.
topoint.jpg

Campsite on the edge of a oilfield canal. Plenty of firewood thanks to Gustav. :)
tent.jpg

After setting up camp, I went to do a little exploring. I wanted to see this shell point because I hadn't visited it in about 10 years.
shells.jpg

I was surprised at how much this point changed shape over the years. It's 25 yards wide at it's widest and about 150ft long. There are small deposits of these shells here and there around the lake. I think they were pushed along by glaciers and deposited there when the glaciers receded.

Stopped to fish in a small dead-end canal on the way back. Fly fished along the banks with no luck so I figured the fish might be deep. Made about two casts with the sinking spider when this big boy hit.
1cat.jpg

He gave me quite a fight on my little 3wt rod. Took over a minute before I could tell what I had. He was 21" long and I figure about 4 lbs. Supper!!

I saw a clearing near the end of the canal and went to investigate. It was a deer food plot which was strange, because there is no road within a mile of there. I looked a little closer at the plants growing there and realized........MUSTARD GREENS! I picked a mess of them to go with the catfish. They WERE for the wildlife and I felt a little wild about then. Catfish and mustard greens------Mick, would that qualify for "bush tucker"? :lol:

At the campsite before the feast.
catatcamp.jpg

Much more to tell.

Later

Joey

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Joey....

You paddled into a slice of Heaven , fresh catfish and fresh greens for supper , a beautiful place to camp and your own boat to do all of it with. Not even thinking of all the firewood around there for the evenings enjoyment.

That area looks like Hammock Heaven and the water is sure fishy looking , I can see all of the Bass swimming around just looking for a tasty fly to munch on. Especially if it is attached to a fly rod.

Yes Sir .. You know the good spots. Looking forward to more pictures and report. :D

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Supper having been taken care of, I headed back towards camp and slipped up on this immature bald eagle on the edge of the lake. At least I think it was an eagle-- too large to be any of the hawks around here.
eagle.jpg

Did a little more poking around and cleaned the cat for supper. Put the mustard greens off to one side of the grill to cook nice and slow. Sat down in my Sparky chair (love it) next to the grill and pan fried the catfish fillets. When everything was done, I made a little drink with some of that special elixir from Bourbon County Kentucky. My plate was piled high with thick fish fillets and a side of greens covered with some of the brown bits of fish scraped off the fry pan. A finer meal could not be had at any price. I finished my meal and fixed another drink and sat back just as the owls started tuning up. I was one contented camper.

Next morning I headed back to the same canal and caught another catfish about 3 lbs. Feeling very benevolent and having other provisions at camp, I let this one go.

Came back to the camp canal and drift fished for a while and this guy surfaced about 25 yards away.
gator.jpg

Gators usually run one foot in length for every inch from the end of the snout to their eyes. I put this guy conservitively at between 10 and 11'.
I drifted past him at 20 yards and about 20 seconds after that picture he turned in my direction, his head went under and saw the big sweep of his tail as he turned towards me. I figure the two ridges on his tail were the width of paddle blade across. I stopped drifting and started paddling then! :shock: I looked back over my shoulder and saw his bow wake still coming in my direction. Paddled a bit faster and got the heck out of there. :)

Lee Schneidermann

Dec 6, 2007
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
I hear that.
Had a fella got attacked by a lynx and malled bad cause he was afraid to defend himself. He thought it was a protected species.
Just wondered how agressive some of those repillians get down there.

Lee

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
They are pretty skittish normally. Us Cajuns like to eat alligator, don't ya know. I figure a hungry 10'-12' gator sees a 16' pirogue making splashing noises as a possible meal.

Joey

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Joey,

What a fine report 'n pichurs! I looked at the pichurs 'n had this feelin' how much we are alike when we paddle/camp.....a dry bag, a plastic box, a seat, some fine sippin' whiskey 'n a big box/table next ta our chairs. I git my fish frum a sardine can, but the rest of it hits home. Did ya watch the sun set? I bet ya built a small fire 'n watched the flames dance....after ya ate?

regards
bearridge

ps I never had no gator git after me, but I have had two times when somethin' in the water come at me. It had ta be a Lock Ness 'er a cotton mouth.....most likely a cotton mouth. Scairt two of us the first time 'n me the second time cuz I wuz the only one who seen it comin'.

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. Alexis de Tocqueville

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
bearridge said:
Friend Joey,

What a fine report 'n pichurs! I looked at the pichurs 'n had this feelin' how much we are alike when we paddle/camp.....a dry bag, a plastic box, a seat, some fine sippin' whiskey 'n a big box/table next ta our chairs. I git my fish frum a sardine can, but the rest of it hits home. Did ya watch the sun set? I bet ya built a small fire 'n watched the flames dance....after ya ate?

regards
bearridge

Brother Bear, I did watch the sunset and did a little fire watchin'. It ain't campin' unless I have a campfire. Put up the cheap string hammock and traded off between watchin' the flames and gazing at the stars. Life is good.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Broke camp early this morning. While waiting for the dew to dry off of the tent, I did a little drift fishing in front of the campsite. Still no luck in the shallows. Started casting out into deep water and on about the tenth cast I hooked into this monster.

bigcatbottom.jpg

100_0457.jpg

That's what I call a "four finger" fish.

He was 25" long and I guess somewhere around 8-9 lbs. Quite a catch on a 3 wt fly rod!

100_0459.jpg

It was one of THE best camping trips I've ever had. :)

Joey

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Joey,

That is a cracking trip report, Thank you. :D

Re the bush tucker - close enough for me mate. :lol:

Your catfish look a LITTLE similar to ours but from what I read must be way better to eat than ours.

Mate, I love your pirogue and intend to build a UJ for myself one day. At the moment, I just can't keep up with Matt.

A question about car security. If I understand correctly, you left your car at the end of a gravel road while you paddled away.

Is there no problem there with maggots breaking into your car or stealing it? :shock: Man if we did that here, there would be nothing left inside a couple of days.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Joey...

Over here we have the Gators tag along behind the boat , sort of like they are thinking ... "What is that thing". They will tag you for a while and then it seams like they hit the boundary for there area and turn back.

It is a little nervy cause you never know what is going on in there mind. Only thing I know for sure is if one is going to charge you there is no wondering about it , it is full steam ahead and dam anything in the way. Had that happen twice but it was my fault , young ones in the area and mommy was protecting them. A canoe paddle hitting her nose helped but the real cure was some hard paddling on my part. The Econ River was not that wide with only one direction to go to get out of trouble. :lol:

The other time was papa coming at me , guess I was to close to his date , during breeding season , and he did not want me there or anywhere in the area. Lake Jessup and that is one big lake.
That one scared me and I got out of there really fast. Fortunately I was in a kicker boat and that Mercury on the transom paid for itself that day.It even started on the 1st pull. :D

Chuck.

john the pom

Jul 30, 2007
Queensland
Doesn't get much better than that Joey. Now all we need to know is where we can find an employer with the common sense to hire us to do trips like that. He'd get good value 'cos we wouldn't take days off unless we was really sick :wink:

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Mick, about leaving the vehicle. There are a couple of residences and about a half dozen camps right there close to the landing. Most of the families have been there all there lives. Good people.

John the pom, we could make guided camping trips for hire. Charge $10,000 a trip. 5 or 6 of those a year would be all we would need. :)

Brother Bear, if that gator had sex or food on his mind, I wanted no part of that! :lol:

Joey

keith

Hi Joey, good read, were you close to shell beach. the water looked clear,most have been that little cold front. we have shell in the swamp over here, we call them indian mounds. i cant beleave bear didnt comit on the hat, i like it. enjoy life. later keith