two yaks "joined at the hip" | SouthernPaddler.com

two yaks "joined at the hip"

woodenyouknow

Nov 19, 2011
My mate and i own identical kayaks(except for colour) and have wanted to fish offshore,both of us are poor swimmers and mediocre paddlers so we came up with this arrangement. We have trialled in smooth and moderate swells 2to 3 foot and it is (they are )sooooo stable

john the pom

Jul 30, 2007
Queensland
Any chance of a bit of detail on the connection method? I guess you can saw your paddle in half as well. Do you ever find that water builds up between the kayaks where the space narrows and is it an issue? Flex or lack thereof, looks fairly stiff, do you find any great problems manouvering in a swell? Now you've got me thinking of splitting my Laker down the centreline and putting a flat side on both insides for a catalaker. Flat deck, deck chair, umbrella, topless waitress...
Cheers John.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
You bring up a good point, John. I read that when you raft up a couple of boats, you want to have the bows a couple inches closer together than the sterns to prevent that build up of water in between the hulls. I've never done it, so haven't tried that technique yet.

woodenyouknow

Nov 19, 2011
Hi fella's thanks for your interest and i will try to answer all your questions
With my mate Joe on board i never put my stubbie down unless its empty lol...
As our yaks were finished when we started thinking of joining we had to reinforce the deck for the "bridle's"so we probably went for an "overkill The actual fittings for tightening to the deck were off old motor mower handles substituting the existing bolts with stainless steel.A heavy guage aluminium angle was used from bridle to the deck.
in answer to water build up between hulls and under platform it is minimal and not a worry and the bows are 3 inches closer than the sterns
the size of the motor is 3.5 h.p and at app. quarter to half throttle we can move along at a nice pace and estimate about 2.5 times faster than we can paddle. we are not interestd in breaking speed records, and the motor is very economical at the above speed.
I did find an old double paddle at the recycle centre and cut it in two give it a coat of paint , works like a charm.
This was a trial, and we were so pleased that i am now building two laker 13 s and i will be reinforcing the fore and aft bulkheads before installing the decks and they will protrude through the deck then the frame between the kayaks will have less visible fixings
Hope this answers your query's
cheers Ray

Roger

Nov 20, 2011
Far South Coast NSW Australia
A stubbie is an Australian term for a small single serving size bottle of refreshing amber thinking fluid. It is normally about 375 ml except of course for the Darwin Stubbie which comes in a 2 litre bottle. ( they're a thirsty lot in the Northern Territory).

Cheers
Roger

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
It appears that you have the two boats fastened rigidly and solidly. Some boat rigs have them flexible and boats can move somewhat independently. I haven't rigged two boats together, so am asking. After using the rig at sea, do you still prefer the rigid mounting? Have you found circumstances where flexibility could have had advantages?
I like your ideas of two guys working together on a trip.

woodenyouknow

Nov 19, 2011
Hi K.J. To joe and i rigid frames are the go, in fact we added extra fixings (2 to 4 per yak) to the rear yolk as we found the motor in the up position was putting strain on the ply deck, even with reinforcement pads.
The main purpose's in joining the two together were stability, safety, We pick our days and will not venture out unless we are satisfied that conditions suit .
You are so right about two guys working together ,when landing a fish we can hand the rod to each other to use the landing net ,etc etc .
Thanks for your interest , and i would like to take this opportunity to wish every one a very safe and a very happy Christmas
Kind regards Ray

woodenyouknow

Nov 19, 2011
Hi Ron. Joe and i often stand to fish when our yaks are joined together, it also gives your rear end a rest to stand and stretch, we have tried to capsize in safe shallow water and it is virtually impossible,
Even with only one person on board,you can still stand up to fish and as it is soooooo stable you can swap from one hull to the other .This is also the way to go rather" than two in one boat"
The northwinds would be ideal

woodenyouknow

Nov 19, 2011
Hi Mick thanks for your interest and compliment. I have been an admirer of your work for yonks now and have followed your builds with great interest and admiration on the jem forum mainly.(Cridgie down under)
I live in Sawtell near Coffs Harbour and have built a laker 14 an okwata 15 and have currently cut out two laker 13's .which i intend using as singles and also "join at the hip"
The small problem i have at present is that my mate Joe owns one okky and i own the other,which means if either one of us is indisposed it is a small problem .I figure if i own both boats it will make me more independant
and i will be able to take my grand children out and not worry about damaging Joe's kayak.
That's my excuse to build again (funny how sawdust gets into the blood)Building from scratch will also streamline the yolk attachment as it will allow both permanent bulkheads to be strengthened and protrude through the top deck fore and aft this will eliminate all of the above deck attachments penetrating water proof compartments.
I live a stones throw from bonville creek and Pine creek a lovely spot
Nice to hear from you regards
Cridgie