UJ Pirogue maintenance | SouthernPaddler.com

UJ Pirogue maintenance

islandpiper

In February I notice what looked like a discolored spot in my UJ pirogue. Today i took the time to cut the top veneer off these spots and brush them full of epoxy and then layer heavy glass cloth tape over them. I lapped glass out a foot in all directions, and doubled it up......and tripled it. Probably the stongest part of the boat now.

Next pirogue will be better wood. But, we build with what we have, what we can afford, for the purposes required.

The last thing any of us want to do is paddle across a broad expanse of open water while watching a soft place in the hull .

piper

ohioriver

Sep 9, 2008
The only problem I had with my pirogue is the cheap paint I put on it last year had to be sanded and repainted. I am so happy with it and will put many miles on it this year and hopefully years to come.

islandpiper

Well , i peeled loose veneer and filled in with slices of heavy glass tape and then overlays of glass in epoxy. Then, light sanding and vrnish. Same on the outsed, but with the original glass overall on the outside there was almost nothing to do, just one little chip at the point of one stem where it had knocked into something hard. Then, light sand the hull and make it GREEN again. The next one will be glassed inside and out, and i'll just have to live with the extra weight.

Now, make up a new bow/tie-down line, new grommet in the stern and we'll be ready to go.

I wonder who among us has the oldest UJ pirogue still in use. Or, at least that COULD BE IN USE. Let's hear from you. And, pictures.....lots of pictures.

piper

islandpiper

I have built most of my boats I guess with luan, some with fir.....some before epoxy and some after. I've had good and great results, if the result I was looking for was a simple, easy and AFFORDABLE boat. Man, i'd love to get some truly GREAT plywood to build with sometime.......at the same price as Luan, which i can afford.

In all honesty , i build violins for two centuries of use, that is the goal and standard. When it comes to pirogues, i want it now, i want it cheap and i want to use it without regard for the simple marks that come from regular use....so, for me it is probably luan, untill i see a sale on something better.

piper

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
islandpiper said:
I wonder who among us has the oldest UJ pirogue still in use. Or, at least that COULD BE IN USE. Let's hear from you. And, pictures.....lots of pictures.

piper

OK... I responded to your question about the Uncle John Pirogues , especially the one I made back in 2000 and still am using , posted some pictures as asked for of the pirogue ( see the above quote) , even several pictures. :? :? :? I did not say anything about the one I made before that one which I used one time and is in a friends procession today and being used. All I know is I still am padding the 2000 one and that is why I listed it as the earliest one in my procession.

I deleted those posts because they seamed to offend someone or someones and for that I am sorry if the truth hurt you , even the ones who have never made a Uncle Johns Pirogue. As far as I am concerned they have no business responding to something they have never done and should remain neutral. :| :|

The reason we are here , what started the forum , this web site was originally called .... Oldsparkeys Canoe and Pirogue forum and guess where those Pirogues came from.... Give Up ? .......................... Uncle Johns.
Since then we have helped a lot of folks and in the process the boats evolved into a lot of ones to chose from and from different designers. Time has let the builder have a lot of choices.

There are those who do things and then there are those who don't and do not like it when someone has the proof of the item and is still using it. No Brag , Just the Frigging Fact's as asked for.

If I misread the above request , then it is my fault , if it is understood as it is written then it is NOT my fault that the boats I make from that other wood last so long and I was willing to say it. :twisted: I will butt out of this at this time and you have a nice day.
Color me as a non percipient in this discussion but will retain the Editorial position. :D

Chuck.

wildmike4

Sep 2, 2008
South Bend, IN
Chuck,

Please don't take your knowledge and hide it away ! I've been lurking on this forum for awhile now. I've not built my pirogue yet, so I don't have a lot to contribute.

I've bought the Six Hour Canoe book and the plans for the Comfortable Seat. I have printed off the Uncle Johns instructions.

I have made the folding kayaks found in the Boy Scout stuff. In fact our first group made them about 10 years ago. I pulled out the plans and my new scouts made them last year. They have a ball with them ... especially since they made them themselves. One sheet of Luan, a little 1/2 plywood, some canvas, some contact glue and paint. It don't take much to float somebody down stream. I've not kept track of my older scouts to see where their kayaks are ... but the memories of building and paddling them live on.

I know that a lot of guys on this forum are craftsman in all that they build, but there are a lot of us I'll bet, that just want something to put in the water and have some fun. And although I'll probably get blasted ... I'll build my pirogue out of Luan and Ploy Fiberglass.

Thanks for all you do.
Mike

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Dont worry Mike. We tried ta run him off at least a dozen times, but he jest keeps comin' back. [chuckle] It iz kinda like Ole Yeller, cept not quite that sad. lol

regards
bearridge

How soon we forget history.  Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force.  A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master.  George Washington

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Well, Piper's UJ pirogue maintenance was surely put to the test last weekend on Lake Verret. What started out as a lazy paddle in calm water, escalated into a pretty hard hump in 1- 2 1/2 foot seas for about 5 miles. We both took on a bit of water, Piper probably a bit more than me. We had to stop to bail a couple of times and Piper said he heard some strange creaking noises from his boat, but we made it there and back with no problems.

I am truly impressed with the performance of these simple boats. Probably pushed them past the point of good sense, but got where we were heading upright with all our stuff. Good to know the upper limits of your boat.

Joey

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
Chuck--I missed the photos and description of the pirogues. Please re-post.

Sorry , but I am unable to respond to your request. As I said in a post before this one.... ( I deleted those posts because they seamed to offend someone or someones and for that I am sorry if the truth hurt you , even the ones who have never made a Uncle Johns Pirogue ). ... I don't want to offend anyone ( AGAIN ) so that information is gone.... Chuck