UJ Pirogue - raising the sides... | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

UJ Pirogue - raising the sides...

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
thanks for the compliment

short of having some fancy CAD program for boat design, I find that scale models can be very helpful. Two or three foot models don't seem to scale very well for me so I like half scale or larger.

As you know the shape of the pirogue is determined mainly by the cut of the sides, the flare of the sides and the spread of the sides. So if you model the sides you have most of the work done. A 4X8 sheet of 1/4" anything cheap will give you two to four sets of sides for half scale. Cut out a pair of sides, wire the ends together with copper wires and washers and spread the sides out at different widths and angles. Most pirogues are about 24" at the widest point in the bottom so you can set this variable and only work with the flare or angle of the sides. I believe thaqt UJ sides are less than 20 degrees but play with it up to about 35 degrees. You'll find something that you like and you'll know how to reshape the sides to get to the final design.

If you really want to nail the final design, buy another $10 sheet of 1/4" and make full size model. It'll be money well spent.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend seedtick,

Nice....very nice. I knew/know some mitey nice folks frum Denham Springs. That iz some fine woodworkin'.

respectfully
bearridge

The clergy believe that any portion of power confided to me will be exerted in opposition to their schemes. And they believe rightly; for I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against any form of tyranny known to the mind of man. Thomas Jefferson

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Heya SeedTick :D you little beauty. :D :D I love what you have done with those boats. :D

I particularly like the yellow one with the curved bow & tumblehome insert.
Great idea. the bull nose effect on the bow is very impressive too

Nice, mate, very nice. Thank you for sharing.

stevesteve

Sep 5, 2006
UK
I particularly like the wood-finished ones. The multi-rib version looks very sleek and I agree with Mick that the version with the recurved sides at the bow is a beauty.
I like the yellow boat, personally I don't think it has the beauty of the other two but it has a really solid working-boat look to it. With the tumblehome (never seen that on a Pirogue before) it looks like a boat you could paddle out into choppier water with confidence.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
The picture of the Bumble Bee (yellow pirogue) is that a water cistern and an outhouse in the back ground or is my imagination playing tricks on me. Boy, you never see those in these days.

About building boats, the only restriction on a persons part is a lack of imagination or should I say the fear of doing something different.

Chuck.

Ode to That Little Brown Shack Out Back (Words available on request) Jack mushing in

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
Chuck - you saw correctly, the cistern and outhouse are only a small part of the LSU Rural Life Museum. They recreate plantation life from the mid 1800's. The pics are part of our display earlier this month for their Harvest Days program. We show the evolution of the pirogue from dugout to plank to plywood, along with different models that had different uses in the southern part of the state. Also had a demo chopping out a dugout from a cypress log.

BB - no epoxy, the yellow pirogue is plywood and the outside chine is nailed and glued on to protect the edge of the plywood

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
seedtick said:
Chuck - you saw correctly, the cistern and outhouse are only a small part of the LSU Rural Life Museum. They recreate plantation life from the mid 1800's. The pics are part of our display earlier this month for their Harvest Days program.

One point for you.... 0... For me. :p

NO .... I am not as old as Jack but I do remember those things and they do bring back some good memories.
I can also remember cooking on a wood burning cast iron stove and all of the good food that came off of it on a frosty morning. :D

Can you say hunting camp and venison southern fried with onions, tomatoes, garlic, salt & pepper with a swamp cabbage side salad for supper.

Then up in the morning ..... warming....... your self by the stove as it belched the oak wood smoke out of the stack (what a smell, it hung over the camp like a cloud) not counting the smells from bacon, ham, eggs and flapjacks cooking on it while the coffee was a perking, the grits a bubbling in the pot and the biscuits are almost done in the cold morning air. Some red eye gravy for them :p

I will not even go or get there about the trip to the outhouse ....... Just don't be the 1st person, let some other sucker warm up the seat for you. :lol:

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Tell ya what......

In the morning I will takeout and go someplace you guys would be interested in , take a lot of pictures and then post them on here about the way life was down here before Kayak Jack and his crew. Or the way we liked it.

I am having some trouble typing this ... pups and I were fighting over an empty water jug (his Favorite toy) when he bit my thumb.... Hit is wrpped in a paper towelll at this titmimm. Next time I will just bit that ousey jug and kep my hands out of the way. :lol:

I willl putt it in the tripss section sinces hit has nothinge to do with buikding boats .

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
oldsparkey said:
...I will not even go or get there about the trip to the outhouse ....... Just don't be the 1st person, let some other sucker warm up the seat for you.
One of the wisest men I ever knew, had a cottage on a nearby lake. Out back was a little brown shack. Next to the stove was a shopping bag with the toilet seat inside. It was pre-warmed for a trip out to the little brown shack out back, where we could listen to the yellow jackets' drone.