UJ pirogue repair project | SouthernPaddler.com

UJ pirogue repair project

islandpiper

My trusty old UJ needs some repair. Mostly it needs a new bottom and both side panels replaced. I figure it will take two sheets of plywood and a complete set of glass and epoxy. I might replace the stems and all three frames, too, while I'm at it. I'll keep you posted.

My paddling partner, Jdupre' told me i can't go any farther from shore than he can drag me carrying the dutch oven. I won't go out without the DO, so that settles it.

(I've told Diane I need two sheets of 1/4" fir ply to make some book cases.)

piper

mike

Jun 29, 2009
TEXAS!
jdupre' said:
Knowing piper, I'd say his description of the rebuild was a bit of tongue in cheek. :wink:

Joey

Yeah, I'd be concerned the two sheets of 1/4" ply is just a start to see if his wife notices he's building a PT boat in the driveway.

Mike

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Piper, did you consider a design with a little less rocker? Tracks a little better and possibly won't have as much draft which means less waves over the side. :mrgreen:

islandpiper

Jdupre', i'm thinking that i can mess with the stem angles and trim a loooooong arc off the bottom edge of the sides and flatten the bottom a bit. I'd build a canoe except that i want it done before we head out again, and a canoe would take much longer.

piper

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
reducing the stem angle is a good idea, it essentially increases the footprint at the maximum width of the boat
need to get beekeeper to write up a tutorial on making rounded stems

cutting the long arc out of the bottom of the sides lets you increase the side flare with the corresponding increase in rocker resulting in more stability and more capacity - maybe 3 dutch ovens? another good idea

hurry up and get started

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Ditto what seedtick said. I reduced the rocker, increased the foot print, and flared the sides when I built my pirogue. The boat is working great for me. It is easy to paddle and is very stable. A couple extra strokes are needed to turn it around, but it tracks really straight.
I've only built two (succesfull :roll: ) rounded stem pieces, so I don't think I'm quailified to do a tutorial. You will probably want your boat before I could figure out how to post the pictures. :lol:

beekeeper