Uncle Ben's Ready Rice | SouthernPaddler.com

Uncle Ben's Ready Rice

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I thought I had posted this before but I guess I am just having a Senior moment. :wink:

If you have not tried it the Uncle Ben's Ready Rice is something good and I think even better for a camping trip. It is in the pack that tells you it is ready in 90 seconds in the microwave.

I know a lot of us don't take a microwave with us when camping....( Those who do take a microwave this would be of interest to you ) ...... without a microwave you can reheat the rice in a skillet.
1. Gently squeeze the sides of the pouch to break apart the rice and pour contents into a skillet.
2. Add 2 Tbsp of water and heat.
3. Stir occasionally until heated thoroughly.
4. Serve immediately.

There are 16 different variety's of the rice to chose from. Plus 5 from the Ready Whole Grain Medley choices. My favorite is the Brown and Wild Rice Medley. :D This way if you want some rice that is easy to cook and then add some meat you have a complete meal. A tuna sized can of chicken ( or any meat ) with the rice ( of your choice ) would round all of it out for a complete , easy , fast and good tasting. Or just the rice for a meal , it is that good. :D
http://www.unclebens.com/rice/

All I can say is I have been trying it here at the house ( cutting down on the cooking and especially the heat from that ) this summer while thinking about good things to take camping this fall. You could call this rice ... A Quick Rice Camping Meal.

In Summery ..........
1.. Does not require two cups of water. Only 2 Tbsp's of water.
2.. No 20 or 30 minutes of boiling and simmering and adding stuff.
3.. A lot of flavor and does not weight more then all of the other brands of rice and packs up in the same space.
4.. Can be cooked ( reheated ) on the Trianga Stove in no time.
5.. Lots of seasoning and flavor , is not bland by any means and quiet filling , even for two people at home. ( I would say one when out camping) :wink:

Chuck........

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
That's a good option - actually a good SET of options.

Toby taught me to make my own quick rice. I like brown rice, so I use that. Cook the rice as you normally would, then dehydrate it. When you add boiling water, it reconstitutes the rice as it does whatever dried veggie you have included. So, if Uncle Ben's doesn't have a flavor/mix that you want, you can easily make your own. Seal it in a vacuum bag, reconstitute in that bag, and eat from that bag.

Bon apetite!

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Your way sounds like a good idea to have everything the way you want it. :D

Personally I am lazy and would rather let the other guy do all the work....... With that rice all I need is a couple spoons of water , heat and eat....... That quick.
Not saying I do not add stuff to it , cause I do , but that is to my taste and no one else. Anyone can adjust it to there way of having and enjoying a meal.

Like building our boats , imagination and personal choices. for our pleasure. :D

In the past on a long trip I liked to add rice and beans to the one of the water jug's ( Nalgene ) and then fill it with water , let it roll around in the bottom of the boat while paddling to reconstitute and then cook it for supper with some fresh fish. Providing the fish cooperated with my idea for supper. :wink: If not then it was rice and beans for supper with spices added. I have grown rather found of that meal when camping thanks to the fish having a severer case of lockjaw.

Now I have found a short cut to that , it even saves the Fresh Water for some mixed drinks after supper. A good thing to do when there is water everywhere and not a drop to drink ( Saltwater) :mrgreen: