Update on piro | SouthernPaddler.com

Update on piro

JAYCEESFOLLY

Jul 8, 2007
Upstate New York
Well, I have made a lot of progress on the piro today and will try to bring everyone up to date.

I have the ribs screwed in temporarily and the gunwale and inside chines glued in.

IM001187.jpg

This is the first void that I have run into with this cheap plywood. (3/16" Luan from Lowe's) It's only 1/4" long and less than 1/8" deep. Not bad for the cheap stuff.

IM001191.jpg

Here is the rookie mistake of the day: I had a temporary brain seizure and forgot to cut this rib notch on an angle. There are 8 notches in 4 ribs, so I can justify this and say "Oh well, 7 out of 8 ain't bad! The fortunate part is that the notch is on the bottom of the rib, and will be covered with glass and resin. So I am not too concerned about it. I wonder if I will think about this notch when i am in 50 feet of water and 1/2 mile from shore!

IM001194.jpg

This is a shot showing the bottom screwed on temporarily with brass screws. At this point, my wife came out in the yard to tell me dinner was ready and her comment was "Oh it's a boat, I wondered what all this wood was for." They just don't understand ......it's not just wood, it's much more than that. This thing is beginning to develop it's own personna.

IM001195.jpg

That's all folk's ... for tonight anyway. I have to get some stuff ready for tomorrows trip to Alabama. I will not have a chance to work on the piro again until Sunday or Monday. :cry:

JC

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
JC,

If your wife sews, then she will recognize the procedure. A set of plans/ pattern, a pile of wood/ cloth, some thread and needles/ stove pipe wire and a drill, etc. Absolutely a direct comparison.

FlaMike

Jun 20, 2007
Spring Hill, FL
www.ptponds.com
Looking real good! :D

I had a frame that I "over-fitted" a little bit and there was a gap left in the process. At one point, not sure when, I spread a layer of epoxy around in the gap. Then I mixed up a rather thick putty of epoxy and wood flour and filled the gap with it.

Worked out pretty good.

Now then, if I found myself "in 50 feet of water and 1/2 mile from shore," I'd not be thinking about that little gap-thing, I'd be wondering just how the heck I got out there!

I built my Pirogue for fishing the thin water. Around where I am, I'd have to paddle out for half a day to find water 50 feet deep. :lol:

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

cctyer

Apr 20, 2007
Short Shorts, Arkansas
JC, You wont be thinking about that little gap when your out a 1/2 mile in 50 ft. of water. You will be thinking about the lack of a gap in your seat vs. cheek :oops: if you know what I mean, and why the hell you ventured that far from the shore in the first place. All kidding aside the boat is coming along great and you are gonna love paddilng her no matter where that is. Have fun building her and keep posting pics.

Chad