Utilizing the fryer to the max... | SouthernPaddler.com

Utilizing the fryer to the max...

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
I have been deep frying turkeys for Thanksgiving for a number of years now. As a matter of fact, the family only wants the fried ones now. I'm doing 3 turkey breasts this coming Thursday for 15-20 people.
I was trying to figure out what else I could cook in my pot with 2 1/2 gallon of peanut oil at 350 degrees. Kinda have better utilization of the equipment. Help the ladies with the vege's.
Well, I'm gonna try some fried cauliflower. We got a foodie up this way name of J. Scott Wilson(food editor,column in local news site) and he got a sister what married into an Italian family in Louisiana. Got the recipe from them. He says this is a mighty fine way of eat'n cauliflower. He makes it right after he pulls out the fried turkey. Oil already at 350.
Thought I'd pass it on in case anyone else is fry'n the big bird and wants to give it a whirl. J. Scott say's he has a problem gett'n a plateful from the fryer to the table.

Fried Cauliflower
3 C. all purpose flower
3 heads fresh cauliflower, cut up bite size
fry'n oil, cook'n mine in the peanut oil from turkey fry'n like he does.
2 large eggs
1/2 C. milk
1 tsp. granulated garlic
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/2 tsp salt
Cajun/Creole seasoning to taste (Zataran's, Tony Chachere's)

>350 degree oil.
>Beat eggs and milk together in a bowl.
>Combine all the other ingredients except cauliflower in a zip bag and mix.
>Soak cauliflower pieces in egg wash, place in zip bag, shake to coat.
>Place cauliflower pieces in hot oil until golden brown.
Drain on paper towels and season with salt and pepper.

A

Anonymous

Friend oldyaker,

Mitey good thinkin'. I figger broccoli, green tomatoes, zucchini 'n bell pepper would do jest az well. Wonder how sardines 'er sharp cheddar cheese would fry up?:lol:

What about dates? Okay....reckon that iz gwine too far.:roll:

This batch of Blackeyed Pea Caviar is near bout good enough fer a CEO bonus accordin' ta Miz Bear.

Enjoy yer Thankful Days,

bearridge
culinary geezer

Woodrow Call: ...and if that ain't bad enough you got all them Greek words on there, too.
Gus McCrae: I told you, Woodrow, a long time ago it ain't Greek, it's Latin.
Woodrow Call: Well what does it say in Latin?
Woodrow Call: For all you know it invites people to rob us.
Gus McCrae: Well the first man comes along that can read Latin is welcome to rob us, far as I'm concerned. I'd like a chance ta shoot at a educated man once in my life.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Br'r Bear, My Ozark Pal,
Some rich folks gave me caviar once, I tried it, kinda like salty jello. Don't care if I have it again. I usally take fish eggs, tie 'em in a small sack and use 'em ta catch Lake Erie Steelhead fish. Now, yer black eyed Susie caviar, well, I might like that, I luvs black eyed peas! Especially with breaded and deep fryed pork chops. Now ya ain't lived 'til ya had deep fried pork chops. Even #2 son who is an aspiring Chef and hopes to take Emerils TV spot sez his 'ol mans deep fried pork chops is a little bite 'O heaven. I tell him that Chefs make it look fancy, but hash slingers like his 'ol man make it taste oh so good, you'll take back stuff ya never stole!
Have a nice Thansgiving Bear and that goes to everyone on the Paddl'n Geezers web site.-------Yakus fryus anythingus...

A

Anonymous

oldyaker said:
Now, yer black eyed Susie caviar, well, I might like that, I luvs black eyed peas!

Friend oldyaker,

Miz Jean put one near bout like this up once before, but either one iz fittin'.

Black Eyed Pea Caviar

The Peas:

Soak 1 ½ cups of black eyed peas overnight
Bring to boil, then simmer 30 minutes
remove from heat and drain (save the juice fer grits)

The Other Vegetables:

chop
1 medium red onion (or yellow or white onion)
one medium bell pepper
3-4 stalks of celery

1 can whole corn, drained

The Spice:

in a jar, combine:

1 chopped, fresh jalapeno pepper (or 2 tbsp. canned chopped peppers or 2 tbsp. Zatarains)
½ cup of olive oil
1/4 cup of red wine vinegar (or apple cider vinegar)
1 tbsp. Honey Dijon mustard (or regular mustard with a touch of honey or sugar)
1 tsp. of parsley
1 tsp. of dill
1 tsp. of cumin
1 tbsp. garlic powder
1 tbsp. salt

Shake/mix these ingredients in the jar.

The finale:

Put the peas, celery, bell pepper, corn and onion in a large bowl or plastic food container.

Add the contents from the jar.
Mix well with a big serving spoon.
Refrigerate for at least 24 hours or up to two weeks, stirring occasionally.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Black Eyed Pea Caviare

Sounds to me like this stuff could be made and dehydrated. In camp, I might rehydrate it with beer instead of water. Spread it liberally around on a white flour tortilla.

"Oh, Death, where is thy sting-a-ling-a-ling?
Oh, Death, where is thy sting!""

A

Anonymous

Correction:

Simmer 45 minutes. Peas come out a bit mushy, but that way they go good with some chips.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Time to dust this thread off again...T-Day around the corner.
I do mine at 350-360 degrees at 3 1/2 minutes a pound and internal temp of thickest part of thight is 165 degrees. I dust the outside with Zat's. Zat's attracts Bears however! :wink:
My oldest son does one almost every Steelers home game using my temps and method. Here is another....
I don't know why...but when you do just the breast, ya gotta do them at 8 minutes a pound. Strange, but true.

ThePittsburghChannel.com
Mr. Food's Deep-Fried Turkey

1 Whole Turkey (max. 14 pounds)

* 1 thawed turkey (maximum 14 pounds)
* Injectable flavored marinade
* Dry rub (any flavor)

1. Be sure the turkey is completely thawed and free of excess water. Inject it with the marinade then cover the outside of the turkey with your favorite dry rub.

2. Fill turkey fryer pot with oil to the oil line. Bring oil to 400°F. Please follow manufacturer's instructions for your particular model of turkey fryer.

3. Place turkey horizontally, breast up, in basket. Wearing a long barbecue mitt, slowly lower the basket with the turkey into the oil. Cook for 3 minutes per pound then add 5 minutes to the total cooking time. (Example: A 14-pound turkey should cook for 47 minutes.) Turkey may float before cooking time is complete, but continue cooking for total amount of calculated time.

4. When turkey is done, turn off the appliance. Slowly and carefully remove the basket, attaching hook to basket handle. Allow the turkey to drain and cool.

NOTE: Do not move fryer until oil has cooled. Recipe courtesy of Bruce Foods

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I'm going to brine and then smoke a turkey breast. Carol will bake a pie ore three. Likely have some sweet potato fries or chips too. I also like cranburies (pun intended, but - batteries not included) ground up with whole orange and some sugar.

I have about 7-8 recipes for sweet potato fries. I have one to try yet that is supposed to yield a hard, dry, crisp chip. THAT'S the one I'm looking for. I plan to carry some to the next camping expedition into uncharted territory.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Jack.....put some apple juice into that brine! I smoked chickens this summer and brined them. Apple juice really made it fanrastic! I gave one to a sudo chef and he claimed it was the best he ever had.