Wabanaki Build | SouthernPaddler.com

Wabanaki Build

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Wabanaki ??????

OK. I could not locate it on Matt's web site . What are you building from Jem Watercraft. :?:
Providing you can tell or show us a picture/drawing /sketch of it , providing you do not divulge any top secret details about this mystery craft.

Chuck.

Gator

Dec 15, 2006
East Lansing/Okemos Michigan
Chuck, Yes It is a JEM. 15'4" long, 36" beam, Estimated weight of 45-60 pounds, and can haul up to 650 pounds (I hope not to test that too much).
It looks like 16 pannels to build the hull.

JEM

I'm trying a marketing experiment with Chuck at Duck Works. I drew up a canoe to sell exclusively at Duck Works.

http://www.duckworksbbs.com/plans/matt/ ... /index.htm

This is the 15'2 x 32" version (solo or very ligth tandem)

3-view.jpg

Plans that Gator has is a little bit wider version at 36".

Depending on if things pick up with Duck Works sales or not, I may also list on my site in the next few weeks.

Gator

Dec 15, 2006
I starting epoxying the boats this week. My shop furnace is set at 70. The mix ratio is 2/1. After 48 hours I set up fans, today at about 90 hours it was still tacky.

WHY?
What did I do wrong?
How can I fix it?

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
That doesn't make sense. I would not expect the fans to help any. And 70 is not by any means cold.

ANY possibility that you got mixed up on the 2:1 ratio - maybe reversed it?

I'd mix a small batch of epoxy, small as I could while making certain the ratio was right, and apply it over a smallish area on the boat. See what happens.

If you have epoxy that hasn't cured in 90 hours at 70 degrees, it ain't gonna cure at all, so my suggestion isn't going to hurt a heck of a lot. I'm hoping that a properly mixed batch laid on top of the stuff that isn't curing might kick off the mixture...that's probably grasping at straws, though.

Stand by first, and let some of the others sound off. They may have more useful suggestions than mine.

Gator

Dec 15, 2006
Jimmy, I've tacked most spots between the stitches. I like trying Gbinba's idea first before I break out the scrapers. I mixed in styrofoams cups, It didn't seem to harm the cup but could it have had some type of reaction.

I'm going to try a small patch over a tacky section today and see what happens. I'll get rid of the styrofoam, and check back tomorrow.

dangermouse01

Sep 8, 2006
Palm Bay, FL (East coast)
Gator;
Sounds like a bad mix ratio to me.
Not sure what brand epoxy you are using, but some come with pumps that you have to add little spacers to to control the volume of one stroke of the pump. Different spacers for 2:1, 3:1, 4:1 etc.....Do you have spacers added?
Some epoxies come with pre-calibrated pumps for the epoxy you ordered. If this is your case then the only way to mess it up would be to put the wrong pump in the wrong jug, (it's been down before :oops: ). But then you would be adding more hardener than resin and it would be kicking off sooner rather than not at all.

Make sure you are mixing the epoxy & resin together VERY thoroughly. Some suggest 1 minute of mixing per pump of resin. If you are adding a filler (wood flour, cabosil..) mix the epoxy & resin together before adding any filler.

Another thing you could do before mixing up your new test batch, is put one pump of resin & hardener in separate clear cups and visually compare them to see if it looks like 2 parts resin to 1 part hardener. There are threads in both Chuck's forum and over on Matt's site that detail how to make up an accurate measuring system by placing a clear mix cup inside another clear cup and making a mark on the outside of the outer cup of the volume.

Def get rid of the Styrofoam cups. I like to use the 9oz clear party cups. I buy from SAM's or BJ's, container of 200 for about $7. I also keep used mix cups around, to use as a gauge, if the slag in the mix cup is cured, so did the stuff I put on the boat.

Good luck with the tests.

DM

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Like DM Said , the clear cups are perfect , I get mine at the Winn Dixie , the clear , plastic , party cups. Also I don't toss them when I'm done. They are placed on the work table so I can check them later on to see how it set up.

Plus I use the pumps , hard to mess them up but it can be done , especially when it is a 2 to 1 and you do a 1 to 1. :lol:

Chuck.

stickbow

Feb 25, 2009
Americus, GA
The West System standard open time mix I used on my first 'yak ate styrofoam (the heat from curing melted it), so I'd assume that your mix was weird, to tell the truth.

I use "tin" cans for mixing boat, bow, or other epoxy batches. I just bang the dried/hardened epoxy out of them in between uses if you are cheap..I mean efficient...and only mix up what you'll use in a given batch. A week or so worth of saving cans will give you plenty to work with.

If you need bigger batches, just get V-8 cans and make lots of Bloody Marys/Boody Marias before you start work :twisted:

that and a couple hours of epoxy fumes, you should be good to go. :mrgreen:

I hope it cures, but if not, you will need to scrape and start over, but do test mixes on something else 'til you figure out what went wrong. Most quality epoxy manufacturers are good about having online forums and such to ask questions.

Gator

Dec 15, 2006
I went to the dollar store and got a clear measuring cup and started mixing in that and measuring just by adding volume. Its setting up great now. I did a batch last night, left the shop about 10. When I came back at 6 (only 8 hours later) it was dry and hard.

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
That's good news. Did the new mix cure the old that was already on there? Or did you have to scrape off and start from scratch?

George

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
Gator said:
It Cured the old stuff too.

Outstanding. I honestly didn't know if that was gonna work or not, but I think it is what I would have tried under the circumstances. Scraping all that mess would have been such a dog-gone discouragement.

Looking forward to more pictures - this should be a sharp boat when you get it done.

George