Water Purification & Filters | SouthernPaddler.com

Water Purification & Filters

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Watching the Survival Guy an Discovery Channel, I'm struck with one thought, "He's good, but why would he needlessly subject himself to all the really bad parasites, virus, cysts, bacteria, and animal and vegetable scuzz that's in dirty water?"

I learn from him, but he could teach all this stuff - and personal safety too - by adding a water filter to his gear. Not smart in my book. One drop of bad water can give you dysentery, typhoid, etc. No need to risk it.

I try to ere to the safe side on this issue; I'd rather "waste" a few dollars than puke my guts out all over the countryside. the solution I found is:

First Need® Deluxe Direct Connect™ Purification Device. Only purifier certified to EPA Standards (cysts, bacteria and viruses) without using chemicals. Removes pesticides - provides deliciously refreshing water instantly on one pass through. Ecological, actually removes microbes using reliable molecular capture, ultrafine microstraining (to 0.1 microns) and other purification mechanisms. Self-cleaning pre-filter. Mounts directly to trail and bike bottles and dromedary bags. Sealed canister protects users from accumulated cysts. Backwashable. Includes tote bag and gravity feed kit.

Buy and use any good filter you want, from any vendor you want. If you do select this one, it is Campmor Item# 81249 www.campmor.com $70 plus S&H.

WestCoastPaddler

I've been using the MSR Miniworks for over a year and have had no problems. Granted, in this part of the world the water probably doesn't require filtering for the most part, but it's better to be safe than stupid (and it sure beats carrying your water). I've heard of the odd case of Giardia around here but it's not very common (perhaps because a lot of people doing wilderness travel around here are fairly saavy about the dangers of drinking untreated water).

I suspect that the closer one travels towards the equator, the more likely there is going to be bad stuff in the water.

Jack, I've watched that Survival Guy on Discovery Channel before and have wondered the same thing -- that guy takes a lot of chances with drinking water.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
You bet, WCP. I used to drink directly from streams etc. in the Sierra Nevada's. One day, after slurping in a quart or two, 50 yards up the trial were a bunch of long, glassy-looking worms crawling around in the water.

I like filtered water. I don't like to be doubled over with beaudacious gas cramps and pressure in my guts. I buy and use a filter like I buy and use safety belts and air bags in a car - hoping the entire expense is a total waste.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Hi Jack,

Good post mate.

We got all sorts of bugs in our water down here, Ross River Fever, blue/green algae and so on and on and on.

I have never used a filter but boil all my water before use and haven't had a problem yet. I don't know how boiling would affect chemicals etc but most of my collection points are not that subject to that sort of contamination. Paddling though areas of high levels of agriculture & farming, I allways take my own water. Who knows what chemicals the bloody farmers have been using that have leached into the watrway.

Johnny Swank

Mar 6, 2006
www.sourcetosea.net
Survivor Dude, H20, and damn filters

I think it's OK for him not to be using filters and whatnot if the idea is to present an actual survival scenerio. More realistic. (Note: never seen the show)

I'd don't filter anything myself, after having sold hundreds of those things over the years. Way to high failure rates. At least in the States, some Aqua Mira for the funky stuff, hand sanitizer after the poo (you're MUCH more likely to get ill from dirty hands than anything you drink), and boiling on occasion and you're good, IMO.

I do tend to carry water on trips rather than drink from rivers if the river is of any size though. We treated water for the first couple of weeks on the Mississippi, then carried H20 the rest of the way. Carried all my H20 on the Cape Fear River. Sort of a pain, but damn I hate dealing with filters too. YMMV.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I carry my water with me but also have a purifier for the just incase scenario. Having the water in one gallon jugs they can be used as ballast in the boat.

The nice thing about Florida is that most of the rivers have fresh water springs. The Suwannee (if memory serves me correctly , has 40 of them). Manatee Springs discharges 116 million gallons of good clean water ever dayinto the Suwannee. All of the other rivers have quite a few fresh water springs along them.

Using the bakepacker you can use river water for cooking because all of your food is in a bag and not in the water plus it boils for 20 minutes with most of the cooking. The good water with the food and the river water for cooking , it does save on the water usage.

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Boiling is interesting. According to an article by two MD's, by the time the first bubble has appeared, you've killed it all. Much stuff was dying once the temp hit that magic 140, all the way up to the 212.

HOWEVER, killing some things leaves behind a toxin as they die. It's the toxins that get you. Also, boiling does nothing for agricultural or industrial wastes.

I sure agree with the waterless handl ceaner for after the toilette - and before handling foods. While I've eaten some pretty odd concoctions in camp, I've never had the back door trots or upchucking. (knocking on wood here)

Johnny Swank

Mar 6, 2006
www.sourcetosea.net
The Ag and industrial things are what worry me more than anything. Up in the hills it's not so much of a deal, but the watershed bottoms are where everything's going to end up eventually.

I'll dig up the article, but a toxicologist/hiker guy ran a number of H20 samples in the Sierras. There were virtually no giardia cysts, but fingernail scrapings of other hikers were pretty scary.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
While I've eaten some pretty odd concoctions in camp, I've never had the back door trots or upchucking. (knocking on wood here)

Jack
You are a lucky Son of a Gun ... I always have a bad case of upchucking on every camping trip. For some reason I have never managed to get around it or away from it, it just follows me around like a bad curse. :evil:

I have (almost) learned to live with it and regardless of what anyone says I still get volunteered to do all if not most of the cooking. Sometime I just can't figure out folks, especially those who I go camping with.

I did learn one think ... I never .. That is NEVER ... had a case of upchucking when I was out camping by myself and still don't when out there alone or with the three of us, Me, Myself and I.

It is only when I am with the gang when the upchucking is in full force..... Up-Chuck I need some more ice .... Up-Chuck is supper ready yet , Up-Chuck can I have 2nds on the stew , Up-Chuck I need a refill on my drink , Up-Chuck did you get the crapper set up , Up-Chuck I need some help with my tent , Up-Chuck your boat needs to be tied off..... On and On and On and On. Dam Up-Chucking.

Chuck.

islandpiper

Jack, now......about 30 years later I can laugh about it, but at the time it was pretty nasty. Gives the old term, "blow it out your butt" a new meaning.

I have always just boiled water, didn't think much about toxins left behind by the death of those millions of little creatures. I suppose choosing reasonable water in the first place is part of staying healthy.

Chuck's idea of carrying "home" water is probably best, but not always possible. Have you tried the Freeze Dried Water from Campmoor? they can get about 12-gallons into a 2-pint can and they're coming out with a vacuum pack this year. Not very good as ballast and you have to pack the empty can back out.

Piper

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Br'r Bear uses freeze dried water to supplement river flow when they close flood gates on dams above where he paddles. I couldn't ever get the stuff to work. He adds flourescent color to track how effective it is.

And, yes, I had the Ho Chi's for a week in Nam. Couldn't stand up straight or get more than a few yards from the necessary building.

stevesteve

Sep 5, 2006
UK
We used to boil water in Iraq, steritabs also work but make the water taste odd. We used potassium permanganate crystals dissolved in water to sterilise fruit (you never know what they've be watered with).

Then we were told "the waters fine now" - they lied! When we had recovered, we went back to boiling it!

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Well, I backed my belief with more action. I have a purifier, and just ordered one for Eric - my Son - for Christmas. First Need from Campmor, Item# 81249.

I used halazone tablets & chlorinox drops & clorox. If I was stuck with nothing else, I'd use chlorine bleach. But, the purifier is better.