Water Storage...why didn't I (or Kayak Jack) think of this | SouthernPaddler.com

Water Storage...why didn't I (or Kayak Jack) think of this

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Re: Water Storage...why didn't I (or Kayak Jack) think of th

If I don't have empty wine bladders (5 liter container of Chateau de Cardboard wine) for water, this is a good idea. I'd keep the boxes no more than 12" X 18" so the water doesn't break them out. Also, heed the warning of food grade bags, as some trash bags have insecticides in them.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com

A couple of the plastic 55 gal garbage cans , lined with the heavy duty black yard bags make good water reservoirs for emergencies. Not drinking water but washing and toilet flushing water.
By the way they will not blow away during a storm since they are filled with water. :wink:

Drinking water is from the faucet , store or the 1st need water purifier. I usually get two 5 gallon water jugs for the drinking water , keep the empties for refiling for later storms.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana

Great idea, piper. I put in a supply of ten 5 gal buckets for water storage. A box with 10 more gallons wouldn't hurt. For Hurricane Gustav, our municipal water supply was undrinkable for about 3 weeks. It looked like root beer with a pinch of sediment in the bottom of the glass. Yuk!

Joey

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan

jdupre' said:
<SNIP> For Hurricane Gustav, our municipal water supply was undrinkable for about 3 weeks. It looked like root beer with a pinch of sediment in the bottom of the glass. Yuk!
As Ben Franklin observed, "Beer is proof that God loves us." He made no such observation about water. W.C. Fields, on the other hand, said, "Water?! Never touch it. Fish (make love) in it!"