Waterproof compartment suggestions | SouthernPaddler.com

Waterproof compartment suggestions

VTFogg

Jan 14, 2007
Rutland, Vermont
I'd like some dry/waterproof compartment(s) in my Uncle John's pirogue. I have inner and outer rub rails the full length of the boat with spacers between. I do not want to increase the height of the boat at all or make anything that low limbs can snag. I'll appreciate your suggestions on how to build this. Your thoughts on the best way, one on each end? Size? I'd like to store a camera, cell phone, snack/energy food, dry clothes, rain gear.

After my adventurous outing yesterday, I've got to get this done and then start another boat! I'm going to go check out some of the designs at JEM Watercraft.

Thanks - VTFogg :)

FlaMike

Jun 20, 2007
Spring Hill, FL
www.ptponds.com
VTFogg,

My Pirogue is also an Uncle John's design. (Love it!)

I'd suggest not actually making a waterproof compartment, but instead, just add a little decking on both ends and use some sort of "dry bag" under those decks. Not only will they keep stuff dry for you, but they'll still act as floatation, so long as they are secured in those decked-over ends.

Funny thing happens when a Pirogue, Kayak, or Canoe has water-tight compartments on both ends, something happens and the boat is filled with water, and one water-tight compartment decides to take on water. The boat has a tendency to float nearly vertical, making any sort of recovery kind of, well. . . Awkward, at best.

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend VT,

I liked yer tale of that far north river. Blowin' out in fast movin' water, comin' upon a tree 'n gittin' pinned iz grim reaper time. Sounds like the Irish luck wuz on ya'll. Be mindful of the "100 Rule": If the water temp 'n the air temp dont add up ta 100, be extra careful. If it iz close 'n someone blows out, build a fire 'n spend some time warmin' up.

I figger a pirogue jest aint cut out fer the type of water ya'll jest paddled. Boots scare me, but if it iz really cold I wear wool socks under a thin neophrene sock in my river sandals.

That iz my two cents. Sorry that two cents dont buy nuthin' these days. :wink:

regards
bearridge

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Foggy,

I'd vote with Florida Mike. Dry bags to carry gear, and lashing them in with a zig zag pattern of line from gunnel to gunnel - and maybe glue in a couple of tie down points near each stem end - will do very nicely. You can buy "D" rings with a patch of adhesive canvas on, or make some wooden gizmos with a hole in and glue them to the boat bottom. This way, you build a cage to contain gear.

Also, there is no such thing as a water proof compartment. If you do successfully build an airtight compartment, thermal expansion and air pressure variations will flex the sides and break it down.

If you erect decking and bulkheads with a hatch system, I'd put in a small hole at the top edge of the bulkhead. this should be about the size of a fine line pencil lead, 1/32" It will not allow water at surface pressure to enter, but air will pass.