Waterproofing Fabric. | SouthernPaddler.com

Waterproofing Fabric.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
OK... Guy's what do you use to waterproof fabric. Fabric just as tents , tarps and other large fabric items.

Why I'm asking is I just had a custom fit rain fly made for the little camper and the rain fly is out of a tight weave nylon. I know it will resist water but I want it to be 100% waterproof.
I did not like the one the manufacture of the little camper has for us to use , it is nothing more then a non fitting hurricane tarp. There idea is you use it or don't use anything. :evil:
Figured I could come up with something better and better fitting for the top of the camper.

Any Ideas.......

dangermouse01

Sep 8, 2006
Palm Bay, FL (East coast)
If you look in the camping sections of stores, they carry spray-on stuff, the one I have is called "Silicon Water-Guard". Looks like a spray paint can, probably about $7. I use it on my kayak spray skirt. Seems to work ok. Can says it works on "suede leather, nylon, cotton, canvas and all other fabrics".

Maybe ping the guys at Cooke Custom and see what they recommend.

Of, course no spraying this stuff around you boat building area or stuff. Silicon & epoxy dont play together.

DM

a Bald Cypress

May 7, 2007
Northwest Louisiana
wr

For my rain gear, I use "hydr-lize. At $10.00 for an 8 oz bottle it is a bit costly but, better than wet.

You spray it on and then tumble dry for 50 min. Seams to work.

Got mine at Bass Pro. Could be you can find it someplace cheaper.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Joe ( Lazyriverguy) did his tent with this and I have 1st hand knowledge of it's waterproofing abilities. The water ran off his tent like water on a ducks back. We did have some serious rain and wind on that trip and his tent just shook that water off like nothing I have seen.

I found it at Wally World as Joe told me I would.. $4.80 a spray can of 10.5 oz. It is Silicone Water-Guard. www.atsko.com
The same stuff that dangermouse01 likes to use. Two campers and paddlers like it , that is all I needed to know.

It's in the camping section at Wally World and is the can with the florescent Orange Top on it.

Anyway I am going to do the rain fly I had made for the top of the little camper to have extra rain protection up there. I could just do the top of the camper but it is a breathable material which is water resistant. Right now I want it to stay that way.
The rain fly will make it waterproof and add some protection. Plus the rain fly is dark green and that white top they have on the camper makes it really bright inside , this way I can subdue that brightness a little which should let me get a few more minks of sleep when the sun comes up in the morning. :lol:

Plus Wally World has the small folding camping table in aluminum for $17.00 and with Fla tax ...$19.09. They are priced at $44.95 and when I had the sales Girl scan it and found out how much it really was .... YEP..I got one.
Nice and light weight , normal height to it and a hot item placed on it will not hurt it since it is aluminum. But it will fold up and fit in a boat really easy.
Some of the guy's have then for camping trips and Bear calls his ... his Communistic table since they are made in China , like everything else.

Master Chef Bear , boiling water :lol: with the Commodore looking on. ( Notice the concentration on Bears face , he burnt the water on the 1st try [ pot] and did not want to on the 2nd try) :p
Dec08%20015.jpg

Chuck.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
I wuz deep in thought......likely ponderin' the close bond tween donuts 'n cops. :roll: :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :wink:

( Chuck here... Thar's a difference ????? )