Wednesday paddle on the Ogeechee (Can you say 80 degrees) | SouthernPaddler.com

Wednesday paddle on the Ogeechee (Can you say 80 degrees)

buckisland1950

Aug 15, 2007
Savannah, GA
What a day! After two short hours of sleep I got up and gathered gear and Dog and headed to Connies Place (Ogeechee Outpost) to meet up with Dusti and Rick. Dusti and Rick beat me there and after a hug from Dusti and introduction to Rick we loaded boats and gear and headed to Dasher's on Hwy 80. The plan for the day was leisurely paddling down the Ogeechee, stopping along the way for food, drink and just relaxing on the river. Bayla was across the river when we arrived and after tauting her to "walk across" I proceded across the river with her boat in tow. She had had a lot of coffee and the caffene buzz was buzzing. The day was warm and got warmer as we paddled along, and the water was cool, just a little to cool to go for a quick swim.

As we paddled along Bayla regaled each and everyone of us with her wit but soon focused on girl talk with Dusti leaving Rick and myself to "Male Bond" as she says which I sure she means comprises of a lot of grunting and pointing. We settled in to a routine of paddling until we could no longer hear "the girls", paddle a little further and then drift until they caught up or got into earshot once again. Turtles sunned on logs, birds flew in the sky and all was right in "our world". Ducks lead the way downriver with the ocassional Kingfisher taking over the lead. Several woodpecker were present and an occasional Great Blue made his presense know. Hawks, vultures and a flock of robins added to the mix as we paddled along.

The water was low but on the rise so it wasn't hard to keep the boats afloat as long as you paid attention to the shallows and the numerous snags that inhabit the river. With a mandatory stop at the trestle we relived the train wreck that Meldrum is famous for but missed Dave as he is usually the one that recants the story so well. After a sandwich and a rest we headed on our way under I 16. I had been hesistant to paddle the whole way and had a back up plan of calling Connie to pick me up if needed but was feeling great at this point so I continued on. With a hot sun bearing down on us and good company I not sure I would have called even if I really felt the need to stop!

The ladies had been observing trees and such on the riverbanks and the imaginations were running wild. Bayla at one point clued us guys in on some of the observations and needless to say it was quite entertaining...... The coffee buzz was not wearing off! Next time we have to limit her to one cup of decaf! I really don't think she took a breath the whole trip or that Dusti quit laughing the entire way.... Go Girl!!! Bayla did rescue a volleyball and set it free and took more pictures of the illusive Ogeechee Dragon. We passed under the power lines and shot the rapids (read ripples) coming to the bridge at 204 all too soon. We said our goodbyes and were on the road before 5 pm. The water level was just over 2 feet and with paddling mostly to retain steerage, it was a great leisurely day on the water. Westbury had done his mandatory digging in the sand on most stops and as usual was worn out on the ride home. After a quick bath he headed off to bed a tired but happy dog! I quickly followed suit........

Thanks to Dusti, Bayla and Rick for a great trip on my favorite river. Hope to paddle with you all in the near future.... Bayla, NO MORE COFFEE!!!!!!!

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Franke, sounds like you and Wonder Dog enjoyed yourselves. Good on ya. We're fortunate to have friends to share Life with.

Your accounts of wildlife sound like spring here in Michigan - same cast of characters. Last August I took a 4 day trip on the Au Sable here. On the last day, I was sitting in camp while a gaggle of vultures wheeled overhead for almost an hour. Worried me; I wondered what they knew that I didn't.