dsc3537medium.jpg

dsc3539medium.jpg

dsc3542medium.jpg

very yummy upside down pineapple cake

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I know Canada is not like the States and sometimes the law of gravity does not apply up there. Which might explain how in the Devil you managed to pour that cake batter across the working table ( Parallel to it ) and not down like all of the rest us have to do down here in the land of misery and gravity.

dsc3537medium.jpg

Or are you are holding back on a cooking secret and not sharing it with all of us. Unless it is just one of those Canadian things we would never understand. I do have to say the final product sure looks really delicious. Now I have an idea why the pancakes up there are so much lighter, you really have to soak them in syrup to keep them on the plate. :D Which leads me to thinking the pineapple slices on the cake held it down on the plate where it was placed.

dsc3542medium.jpg

Chuckles. :lol: :lol: :lol:

islandpiper

jack, if you cook, bake, fry, stew and fricasee really good stuff in cast iron for a hundred years or so....then it seems like even the kettle itself would taste good, right? And a little iron in the diet is necessary.

I made a nice, big Australian Damper Bread in mine over the weekend. Used a dark beer and Hairy Mick scolded me pretty quick. Oh, well......it tastes good. Next time I'll use the light Pilsner he recommends.

Of course, there's always Grandma Doyles Irish Soda Bread, too.......

So many recipes, so little time.

piper

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
oldsparkey said:
I know Canada is not like the States and sometimes the law of gravity does not apply up there. Which might explain how in the Devil you managed to pour that cake batter across the working table ( Parallel to it ) and not down like all of the rest us have to do down here in the land of misery and gravity.

dsc3537medium.jpg

I don't believe for a minute that Canadians pour things sideways. Has to be that the picture was rotated.

The only place you can pour things sideways is on the equator.

Of course if you were in Australia you would be able to pour things UP.

Get your facts straight, Sparky.

GBinGA

grandpa paddler

May 25, 2005
WNY-land of exhorbitant taxes
Bellybuster said:
dsc3542medium.jpg

very yummy upside down pineapple cake

BB,

Cake does looks yummy :!: Think I'd like that better'n my cobbler.

Jack, I'm takin' my smaller DO but don't get any ideas - ya ain't gettin' no PUC. (maybe some lasagna then cobbler if'n I decide I like you enuf)

BTW, BB, where is Wasago Beach? Anywhere near Ft. Erie/Niagara Falls?

Jon

We are North of Niagara on the bottom of Georgian Bay. Really is a Northern paradise here.
That upside down cake is a treat, I used to always do cobbler untill I found that recipe.

came from here, a great site for dutch oven cooking
http://papadutch.home.comcast.net/~papa ... ecipes.htm

gbinga.....i did not rotate that photo...I rotated the Earth so the batter would pour properly

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
BB, you ARE in a paradise. And, Dapper Al is about 64 mi W'ly of you in Oscoda MI. I'm about 252 miles SW'ly of you.

I've paddled a couple of times in Killarney. I liked putting in on the W'ly side (Lake Charlton) a lot better than going all the way around. Killarney itself is an interesting little burg.

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
belly buster i looked at the post last night that sure is some good looking food. i don,t have a dutch oven . i thought i bought one awhile back which it doesn,t have the recessed lid & the feet on the bottom. this was before i knowed anyhting about one.

i plan to get a small one one , & learn to cook in them the bigger ones are heavy for canoeing . i have several cast iron frying pans that i love cooking in. they are heavy too i have other pans that i take depending on trip. cat

I think the dutch oven isn't so heavy for canoeing. it can easily be your only cooking vessel. There is not much you "can't" do in a dutch oven.
No worries about the no feet. My big one doesn't have any. You can raise them above the coals with anything...rocks bricks etc...I cut 3 pieces of angle iron for mine. The lid you just have to be careful you don't spill ashes in the food

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
BB,
Most of the guys you are writing to there, don't live in the Canadian Shield Country. Piper san did, but he vacated. Some of us are still here in the land of granite, flint, gneiss, quartz, feldspar, obsidian, etc. In the South, they outlawed rocks years ago, as being too technologically advanced. :wink: