Well this is different! | SouthernPaddler.com

Well this is different!

john the pom

Jul 30, 2007
Queensland
So, it's been a while. Hope all of you that are still alive are well. Got a new car last year. Too bloody high to put a kayak on, mebbe I'm too short... Bought a trailer. Then i started to think. (That in itself has been know to cause problems.) Thought hmm a teardrop , or tiny camper. Currently 3/4 of the way built.
Ever so slight American influence...

Attachments

• 20180624_094620.jpg
    20180624_094620.jpg
    495.1 KB · Views: 499

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
John!! You're alive! The story of your early demise was greatly exaggerated. Good to hear from you.

What (tall) kind kf car did you get? Not one of those double-decker busses, I hope. Does your coverd wagon have wooden wheels? ;-)

john the pom

Jul 30, 2007
Queensland
Hey Jack, wood wheels are frowned upon these days, gotta move with the times. Wagon all folds down inside itself when on the road and even I can put a kayak or two on top.
Car is a Grand Vitara, not huge but out of reach to roofrack for li'l ol' me.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
There are little rigs that set over a tire, and are a step to stand on to reach a bit higher. I carry a folding step stool.

It's good you don't have wooden wheels. They'd make a helluva clatter on those cobblestones. Your trailer sounds interesting. Can we hear more about it?

john the pom

Jul 30, 2007
Queensland
Started off was gonna be a teardrop camper but you can only sit or lie down in those. Formply floor and sides. Had some left over fibreglass tent poles but they exploded due to tight radius bend. Electrical conduit, cheap and tough enough. Calico covering. Went for a "look" rather than weatherproof. The whole thing fits well under a 10 ' x 10' pop up gazebo which is weatherproof, but will eventually make a custom tarp to suit. Fits a few inches short of a double bed matress width and can walk inside it. Fold up the matress and fits a small table and a couple of camp chairs if the weather doesn't cooperate.
Trestle type table will attach to the side for cooking. May or not put some storage inside. Will give it a work out before deciding that.
Where I live about every third neighbour has a $20 - 100k caravan sitting in their yard 48 weeks of the year.
Cheers John.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
I cheer you on. If you look up about little camping trailers that tow behind motorcyckes, it might orovide an idea or two to incorporate into your designs. From a compact, 2 bushel package, they unfold into a bedroom and a patio.
Whatever you decide. Good luck, and keep us posted?

Reactions: john the pom