We're Under Way and My Confidence is...Low | SouthernPaddler.com

We're Under Way and My Confidence is...Low

I saturated the edge grain/end grain and one side of what will be my pirogue's sides, then put a piece of fiberglass on (about 12" by 12"). It was a fight the whole way due to the edges wanting to raise up where the butt joint is. I'll be shocked if it all looks okay tomorrow when the wax paper gets peeled off.
L1000556.jpg

The boys had a little fun but also got their ears burned a little as the old man spouted off some words and phrases they've never heard before. Luckily we were working from shot-glass sizes of epoxy mix, since a couple of them hit the floor before we were done.

islandpiper

OK, it will be fine......the area of the butt will have the center rib assy, and a chine log, and a gunwale and more glass on the outside.......just treat it carfully as you build. If things want to curl up, do your best, grind off any bad places and graft in or lay on more glass later.

this is a very forgiving building system.

The second boat will be easier.

Piper

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Taw mate,

It will be fine mate. Don't stress. :D

Provided your floor is flat and had no foriegn bits under your panels to prob them up, the weights will hold them down in place and pretty flat with each other.

This is a very forgiving building system otherwise knuckleheads like me could never get away with some of the things we do. As previously said, be gentle with the panels and all will be good. :D

I snuck a peek at everything a couple of hours ago (and pulled some of the weight off) and it may not be as bad as I thought. It looks like there's a small gap in one of the joints so I may end up doing a wood filler job when I do the next side...there also seems to be enough twist left in the ends that the boards don't stay "trued-up" when the weight is pulled off. Any chance that will get better when the next side is glassed?

I also had one small area near an edge, and right at the butt joint, where the fiberglass didn't attach to the wood. I think it should get covered up by the rib, but I'm most concerned about that joint being strong. Any chance that after I get the other side finished I can come back to this side and wet out that part of the fiberglass?

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Mate, I often have to go back and clean up some patches like that. I wouldn't worry too much about it at this stage. give your resin a chance to set up properly and do the other side. If you have to use wood flour then use it.

It is a big mistake to be in too much of a hurry, particularly with a first build. Take your time, enjoy the build. I made an awful lot of mistakes with my first build simply because I tried to rush it.

Joining the panels is the most frustrating part of the process for me. Everything else depends on how well you do it. Once that is done right, the rest will come together pretty quickly.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Taw...

Just take your time and enjoy the building process , after all it is nothing more then some wood , epoxy and fiberglass. The whole idea is to relax when you are building the boat , that way you are destroying all the stress that has built up inside of you.

The process gives you an outlet , constructive one, and can make the process a lot of fun. You are not building a show boat , you are building one for your use the way you want it so .... go slow , think about the steps that you will have to do and then follow threw with them.

As you go your confidence factor will build just like the boat and if you do make a mistake then you have done something a lot of folks don't do .... You have learned something , actually a couple of somethings , the mistake and how to correct it.

As I said it will relax you , get rid of your stress , build your confidence and when done then you can use it to get rid of any stress and enjoy some relaxing times in your own personal creation.

As far as the stress factor while building the boat we are here to either help reduce that or increase it depending on your outlook about asking questions.

Just remember .... all of us have gone threw the same thing with the 1st boat we made and some of us never had anyone to ask questions to , we just blundered ahead at full steam. :oops:

That is the main reason we are here , some of us had this screwball idea that other (New ) builders might have some questions to ask about building smaller wood boats for there enjoyment and needed a place to ask them. Then after they have built a boat the help the others starting out..... We don't care if it is your 1st or your 20th , if you have a question then it is answered and someone is always coming up with a great idea about how to do it better and easier. All of us learn for each other.

Chuck.
PS. Heck you are way ahead of some of the guy's ( Like Kayak Jack ) you know how to post pictures and that is a lot harder then making a wood boat. :lol:

cctyer

Apr 20, 2007
Short Shorts, Arkansas
Taw, I used plastic on mine and it created wrinkles but I sanded them down and went on. The butt joints were not even noticable after they were glued to the boat. I understand you are not in a hurry but only have limited time to build, so try to get everything ready and three or four steps ahead before you continue and it should go smooth. I over thought the whole process a bit much and found getting into it was the best way to get rid of the jitters about doing it right. Good luck and it looks like your doing great so far!

Chad

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
My kit for my first boat lay hiding for a few months. I even considered sending it to someone to build it, then driving to get the boat.

Finally, I started. Though I turned a three week project into a six month project, I got it done. Then, three more afterwards.

My level of craftsmanship produces a "fifty foot boat". It looks pretty good from about fifty feet out. But, as you draw near, glitches begin to appear. Plus, I use my boats in an ungentle manner. They are tools of the trade, not pieces of furniture.

My boats aren't pretty boats. They are working boats.

When it was time to do the other side this morning I got a good look...things aren't nearly as bad as I thought (assuming everything stays together when it's time to move the pieces tomorrow afternoon). The epoxy/glass job we did this morning is uglier than what we did yesterday, but it's on what will be the outside of the boat so I'll get plenty of chances to hide that with primer, paint, and maybe graphite.

With this part complete I have more confidence working with the epoxy & fiberglass and I think things will go smoother from here.