Wet Feet | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

Wet Feet

john the pom

Jul 30, 2007
Queensland
Hey come on guys it's pretty obvious what Jack was doing. I reckon he'd just finished reading about eskimo rolls and figured he'd try it for himself.
Now Jack isn't as daft as he looks (despite the picture) his version keeps him dry... a bit like an air swing in golf. I always claimed they was just a practise swing 8)

jimsong

May 24, 2008
lakside village, texas
My most surprising dip, was when I beached a canoe on a beautiful white sandy shore line. My second oldest son, who was about twelve at the time, was in the front.
The beach was quite flat, but in the length of the canoe, the water was six feet deep.
I held the bow against the shore line, and told Dana to get out, and hold the painter tight, intending to bring the canoe in Parrellel to shore
Dana was a big strong kid, who always wanted to help me, so he grabbed the front thwart, intending to drag the canoe, with me in it up on the beach. So I wouldn't get my feet wet, he said later.
My first recollection of the dump, was still being in my seat, and being upside down in the cool, crystal clear water of the North Canadian.
I wasn't in any trouble, but Dana lost the painter, and I was headed East upside down.
Poor Dana thought he had drowned me, and jumped in the water and was pounding on the canoe, when I surfaced. For some reason the look of terror on his face tickled me, and I almost drowned laughing.
We floated, bellied over the canoe for a couple hundred yards, gathering up gear, and howling like a couple of hyenas.
Had there been any witnesses, I am certain we would still be in padded cells to this day. Twenty odd years later.

jimsong

May 24, 2008
lakside village, texas
This isn't my story, but that of a friend from years ago.
Kurt was one of those guys you like to have on the job. He was always where work was taking place. And when he left that job, he went to another. Sometimes he had up to four jobs at the same time. He's in his early sixties now and still has two.
He is pretty much of a loner, he seldom goes into the boonies with anyone. But in the early eighties, he consented to go on a fishing trip with a fellow in another department, of the company where we worked.
I thought Kurt KNEW the guy, or I might have said something to him! This guy was a wild man!
When Kurt arrived at the rendevous point, there were four more men, two pick ups of gear, and beer, and one 12 foot jon boat.
The plan was to camp om an island, and fish and drink beer all week end.
Apparentely, the beer drink was in full swing at this point, because they loaded ALL the equipment, ALL the beer, and ALL six guys into the 12 jon boat, fired up the outboard, and headed for the island about a mile out.
In some pretty good chop. With two, maybe three inches freeboard.
They apparently had aquired some speed, because, when the bow went under, the jon boat darted toward the bottom.
There were ice chests, tackle boxes sleeping bag, tents, gas cans, oil cans, and various other flotsam, at the sight of the ship wreck.
When all six men were accounted for, Kurt swam to shore, got into his truck, and went home.
The yelled after him concerning his gear. He yelled back"You can have it!"
It was a little more adventure that Kurt's constitution could handle!
(It would have been for mine ,too! The great outdoors is dangerous enough, without teaming up with half wits!)

Lazyriverguy

Nov 9, 2006
Eureka,Florida
(set the scene) Val deceides she wants to do solo kayaks for a change. We head off from Gore's landing around 8:30 am. Val is doing real good at controling the movment of the little craft. Makes it through several strainers over a couple logs that are a few inches under water. She says lets stop in at the first camp site and take a break. I did and she did.
Thats were the trouble started. She needed to get back in the boat. I was cross river to take a picture of her I said holed on a minute I ll come over and show ya how to reenter the kayak. I can do it Says she. well she steped in the boat left she is upside down in about 5 inches of cool water. I have to give her credit were credit is due. Never spilled 1 drop of her beer.
100_0302.jpg

This is were it happened. Just as I put the camera down.
Joe

jimsong

May 24, 2008
lakside village, texas
She didn't spill a drop of beer? She qualifies for the ultimate complement of the beaver trappers, in the era between the late 1600s to the early 1800.--"He'll(She'll ) do, to ride the river with."
Of course, in the original context, much more was involved. Courage and honesty were the desirable traits implied. But, honestly wanting to finish that beer, and couragesly sustaining the injuries neccissary, to preserve that beer, "sort" of qualify her.
(About 40 years ago, I fell down a flight of concrete steps. (22 steps, as I recall) Carrying an uncased banjo, and a gallon jug of vodka.
Upon my tumultuous arrival at ground level, the banjo had not a scratch, and I had not spilled a drop of vodka!
(I , myself, of course, was bleeding in about six places!)
But, LRG, A chick that ballsey may not hesitate to take you out as well!
Tread softly, be kind, utter gentle words. Maybe we will get another post from you!

Lazyriverguy

Nov 9, 2006
Eureka,Florida
AAAARRRGGGGGGG
Hiya folks
Val just happened by the puter. She has now asked if she can start the hand gun safety course here in the area. I of corse said aaaa i don't think ya need it baby.
Hopefully more on that later.
Your dear freind a colege Joe
PS She is a good sport she said I can live for a while yet.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Ever since the 1st time I meet your lovely bride ..... Then I meet you. :roll:

I knew she believed in helping the handicapped. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Val... Does this put me in good standing with you , after all you did pawn Joe on us for that one trip ... ( where all of had a blast , thanks to him being with us ) .. Guess you might saying I am calling in any cards that are due for picking on your hubby. Remember all the shopping you got done while we had him on the river with us..... :roll:
Dam , I should of not said that . :oops:

With any luck ... I might be in your area later on...... Yep , the value /reputation/respectability and over all honesty of your area will drop for a few days , but then it will come back up , even with Joe still there. :lol: :lol: :lol: .

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
Probably fifteen years ago I took a fishing trip to a lake in South Georgia with three friends. I forget the name of the lake, but it was near Sparta, and they rented canoes and jonboats. Ed Moon and I rented a canoe and the other two fellas rented a jonboat.

There were signs all around the lake that said "Alligators are dangerous. Do not molest". I'm not sure who would molest an alligator, but then there is no accounting for some of these South Georgians. We asked the ranger if it wasn't a bit far North for 'gators, and he said they had stocked them in an effort to control the population of water moccasins and snapping turtles. Swear to the Lord, that's what he told us.

To make a long story a bit shorter, the lake had a lot of standing timber, and we decided to tie the canoe to a tree in amongst the timber so as to still fish for a while. Ed was tying his end to a stump that poked up about six feet out of the water and I was fiddling around in my tackle box when the canoe started shaking and Ed started saying things like "Ohh! Whooo! Oh God!", and then promptly jumped out of the boat.

When I looked to see what was going on, I found that our stump had a wasp nest about the size of a soccer ball built on the top of it, and when Ed bumped the boat up against the tree, those wasps were in an uproar. And about the last thing Ed accomplished before he started talking to God and giving himself an old fashioned baptism was getting the boat tied to the stump so I couldn't get away.

Now Ed weighed maybe 150, and I go closer to 200, so his exit was reasonably graceful. When I dived there wasn't any ballast left, so my exit was not. I dumped myself, the boat and all the gear in the process. Only reason I got my rod and reel back was that I hooked myself on the way out of the boat.

After furiously dog paddling for what seemed like two or three minutes, I finally kicked bottom and realized I was in about four feet of water. We got the canoe loose, got back in it, and managed to get back to camp without further incident. I'll never forget the smell, though. It was a swampy little lake, and I've smelled dead things that were more attractive than I was that evening.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend binga,

I have tole this tale before, but sometimes when I tell it, it dont come out exzactly the same. My pal Fount Ray (aka Mister Barbecue one time at the Memphis in May) went frog giggin' with John Raymond. They wuz in the ole river lake jest cross the river frum where the White River joins up with the Big Muddy. They had flashlights 'n wuz lookin' fer frogs when lo 'n behold they musta paddled up inta a swarm of moccasins. John Raymond wuz in the front of the boat.

Snakes come at 'em frum ever which way....bangin' the side of the boat like they wuz blind az Little Stevie Wonder. John Raymond sez they beat 'em off with the paddles fer a while, but it got worse. Fount Ray tole John Raymond ta douse hiz light. Both of 'em sat in the dark with snakes hittin' the side of the boat, but they slowed down 'n finally quit. John Raymond sez he wuz so scairt Fount Ray wuz gwine ta turn that boat over. [That wuz before him 'n Bo went ta Memphis ta git their bellies stapled, so I reckon Fount Ray went somethin' over 300 pounds.]

Sounds like ya'll need ta set down 'n share a cold drink with John Raymond. :wink: That wuz a fine tale. Dont let me catch ya tryin' ta make anuther good one like that short agin. :mrgreen:

respectfully
bearridge

Woodrow Call: Things sure have changed since the last time I was here. It's all growed up.
Gus McCrae: Of course it's growed up, Woodrow. We killed all the Indians and bandits so the bankers could move in.
Woodrow Call: Only a fool would want the Indians back.
Gus McCrae: Has it ever occurred to you, Woodrow; that all the work we done was for the bankers? Hell, we killed off everybody made this country interestin'!

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
I got aware of my situation right quick when the wasps started going after me.

I was reading Bear's story - I'd rather have wasps than moccasins any day of the week. Killed a cotton mouth at my wife's family farm a couple of years ago - Sherry and I were clearing some brush alongside of the pond so that we would have a clear place to fish from, and I decided that a good size limb needed to come off of a tree that was growing out of the edge of the water. I checked pretty carefully for wasps and snakes before I climbed up in the tree to cut the limb, but what I didn't think about was the snake that was living in the hollow part of the tree where it faced the water.

About the same time I jumped out of the tree, Mr. No-shoulders came slithering out of his little lakefront home to see who was vandalizing the property. He was about five feet long, and as big around as my wrist. It's funny how people will look at a snake and speculate about whether it might be a moccasin or it might be a copperhead, but when you finally run up on the real thing, there isn't any doubt in your mind - it's "Oh god help me, that really is one". I suspect it would be that way if you walked up on the devil. You wouldn't have to wonder, you'd just know.

I had a little .38 with me that had two shot shells and three hollow points in it, and that should have done the trick nicely, but I was so balled up about nearly landing on the thing that the best I could do was to aim in his general direction and pull the trigger five times - no marksmanship involved. Basically messed the snake up some, but had to finish him with a hoe.

Sherry still gives me grief about that. She was a farm girl, and does not step aside for a snake. Just finds the nearest tool and beats it to death.

Bear - I liked that Woodrow Call quote. That's one of my favorite all time movies, along with Sam Elliot's "Conagher".

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
Sorry Jack you get a 10 for style but only get a 3 for execution. You missed the water!

Now I know of this guy who managed to go straight down when he hit a strainer only about 30 minutes into a week long trip. Good thing the temperature was just at freezing. The snow that started a few minutes later didn't stick. At least the next time he got caught and sunk (on the fourth day) :oops: it was about 70 F. Note that both times the canoe went straight down -- no silly lookng roll. :roll:

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
C'mon, Ger! Weren't you there when that picture was taken? It may even have been YOU that took the shot. I was getting out of the kayak, and my multi-tool snagged in the stadium seat.

Right after I stood up, I slipped and fell backwards on my butt in stones and water, Fortunately, more water than stones. (Actually, Charlie pushed me over. I didn't fall.)