What do you use for camping...... And Why. | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

What do you use for camping...... And Why.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
When Bear was eating his MRE and I was eating a steak he was trying to barter for the fat off the steak :D :D :D
Ron
I camp pretty comfortable andd most guys that camp with me more than once sort of like the hot food and comfort

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
I run inta a heap a fine, generous folks over the last few days. On the Brazos, me'n the High Sheriff finally got Ronnie ta pull over fer vittles. I went fer the fancy sardines, but he sez ta put that stuff away cuz Frito pie iz comin' up. He put a big can of chili on hiz stove 'n pulled out a bag of Fritos...even had some fancy metal spoons. Then he pulled out some more bags.....one fulla chopped onion, one full grated cheese 'n one fulla jalapenos. He tole Sondra ta pick out only mild ones. I reckon she missed one 'n I ate on it some each meal til the hoodoochie tore up our camp. No tellin' where them jalapenos ended up. It looked like a junkyard with tables 'n boats blowed everwhere, cups, bottles, bags, cameras, shoes, plates, fishin' gear, etc. Frum now on, when it comes time ta turn in, I aim ta keep my shoes inside 'n lay everthin' else down flat in case hell drops by agin lookin' fer Chuck. Now, if I go on a expedishun without the Master of Flowbizness, I mite not worry quite so much. [chuckle]

Keith 'n seedtick went way outta their way in Denham Springs on my account. Even passed up supper 'n took me ta see a Bass Pro Shop. I kin only stay inside a place like that bout 15 minutes, but it wuz like walkin' in with movie stars. All them folks who work inside that place called 'em by name 'n the first thing I seen when we come in the door wuz this 6'x4' pichur of Keith with that shotgun. [I seen it on here one day, but in person it iz mitey dang big.] Two mitey fine lookin' homemade pirogues wuz then next big display. They had a heap a pichurs of seedtick's kin on the walls too....none of 'em the kind ya see down ta the postal office. [grin]

The next mornin', they went ta askin' bout what I wanted ta eat, coffee 'n such. I tole 'em I like ta eat grits 'n eggs...mebbe some bacon. I figgered we might met up somewhere like the Low Gap General Store fer breakfast. Well, Keith calls seedtick 'n drives us over ta see hiz house, shop, tools, ole stuff frum way back 'n a ole time coffee pot that Keith used ta fix some coffee. seedtick 'n hiz bride dont drink it, but they had some Community coffee jest fer visitors....I reckon.] MItey fine treatment, even come away with some new Cajun seasonin' that seedtick claims beats Zatarains. I aim ta test that stuff some this week.

The whole time I wuz there, they dropped everthin' ta show me round. I even seen some pry bars on the wall of Keith's shop. I had clean fergot bout 'em. Besides a hammer 'n both kinds of screwdrivers, I am purty good with one of 'em. Tore a heap a stuff apart.

All them fellas done purty good when it come ta women. Seems that all of 'em put up with quite a bit 'n keep a smile their faces. I reckon Miz Bear puts up with quite a bit herownself. [chuckle]

regards
bearridge

ps Nobody topped piper 'n Miz Diane.

Woodrow Call: What do you want legs for anyway? You don't like to do nothing but sit on the porch and drink whiskey!
Gus McCrae: I like to kick a pig every once in a while. How would I do that?

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
I do things pretty basic,

A small dome tent, communist tarp, my beloved Trangia an a few old pots n pans and a big cooler. I like to eat fresh meat or fish when I can and when I can't, I'll eat anything i can get my hands on or around. :D

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
G I pup tent, G I sleeping bag (or a fleece blanket bag for warmer nights), polytarp groundcloth, space blanket, G I messkit and 6qt aluminum pot, homemade wood burning trail stove or single burner propane stove, Coughlan's water purifier.

Gator

Dec 15, 2006
East Lansing/Okemos Michigan
Well I go kinda minimal. I have a tent ( used from the scouts is my favorite) Dome about 7X7. a little mosquito stove, and a couple flasks. as long as I'm dry and warm... thats all I need

hairymick01

Evie and I like our comforts and we seem to need a lot of stuff for some reason :D This has been our camper for about the last 18 months or so.

ImbilCanon048.jpg

Austrack012.jpg

Austrack015.jpg

All it is is a big tent on a camper trailer.

Up until recently, this set up has worked really well for us but with our arthritus getting worse, the very big tent on this rig is just getting too hard to lift back onto the trailer. We have opted to scale down to a smaller set up, similar to this one.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Cub-Drifer-P ... 3cc359555d

Most, if not all of our camping now is car and trailer stuff and we think this will better suit our needs.

We bought an old one of these iconic, little Aussie campers a couple of days ago and while it is still usable as it is, It needs new canvas and a re-fit. Over the coming months, I will be gutting the interior and re-fitting as well as a major upgrade to the chassis and suspension to make it truly off road capable and better suited for the type of terrain we want to take it,. Aussies would call that a build up and if anybody is interested, will post a thread on the build up.

Option A: H. Hammock and poncho liner or hybrid blanket.
Option B: Tarp over Sleeping bag or at least poncho- inside USGI bivi.

Anymore, I always have the tarp on my pack anyway, though. Never know when it might come in handy. Once I couldn't find a dry spot in the backwater so I strung it between two saplings and slept beneath it on the yak. Miserable sleep but I stayed dry. Skeeter net would have made it much nicer.

wagnerj

Jul 25, 2012
During camping I'm using tarp over sleeping. I also have the tent and most of all I have my shotgun for shooting at the camping area.