What is the Fall and Winter going to be like... | SouthernPaddler.com

What is the Fall and Winter going to be like...

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I'm waiting to see what this Fall and Winter will be like around here...........

Not sure about the neck of the woods you are in but down here things are looking up. If you believe in the Old Wives Tails about the weather then this could turn out to be a nice Fall and Winter around here.

It's the old adage that if the Oaks are going to have a lot of acorns it will be a cold winter.
The Oaks around here are loaded with acorns at this time. During the walks I do around here and checking out the Oaks they are full of acorns. The acorns on the trees look like clusters of grapes hanging off the branches.

We had a good crop last year , the ground under the oaks were covered with acorns , but not much cold weather. Checking some areas last year you could see where the Deer , Turkeys and especially the wild hogs were having a feast. Those wild hogs made some places look like someone plowed the ground and then tossed more acorns over there work. The trees were not as full of the acorns this early as they are this year.

I would feel sorry for any camper that decided to pitch a tent under them this winter since the ground would be covered with the acorns and then the ones falling off the trees would sound like rain on a tent. Without cleaning off an area for the tent it would be like sleeping on a bunch of marbles , pointy marbles. Looks like a hammock would be the best way to camp. :lol:

At night if you are under a nice oak then you get less frost on the tent since the trees offer some frost ( or dew before it freezes ) protection. Not even thinking about all the good firewood that would be laying around the area , that helps to make the evening even better. Especially if you have a chunk of beef to cook over it. :D

mike

Jun 29, 2009
TEXAS!
It's the same here. Acorns everywhere. Also, the Sweetgum tree by my driveway has shed several BIG limbs due to the weight of the balls it is producing. The same for my Pecan and Hickory trees. Extra heavy crops on all of the nut making trees here. I just attributed it to last year's drought.

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
chucky i read on the puter the other day where they said up north (yankee country) was going to be real cold lots of snow.said even down your way to the gulf and talehasee could see snow and ice this year? its been raining here every day i believe its dog days, i believe we are going to have a wet fall to. i got fish swimming in my yard. :lol: i havent seen any in the woods yet havent done any scouting but i know you geezers have heard about the tale of the hornets nest. gope i get this right if its low to the ground gona be cold if high up will be a mild winter?

look on the other bright side of all dem acorns some fat pork and venison for some of us geezers. :wink: :D :mrgreen: