What is the most important | SouthernPaddler.com

What is the most important

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
I want to see if I have this right. Ease of paddling efficiency speed.
Longer is better up to a point 17 to 20 ft
the narrower the better till you fall out :lol:
shape of hull
rocker
What am I missing here ?
I listed them in the order of most importance to this ole red neck top being the highest.
Ron

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
tx river rat said:
I want to see if I have this right. Ease of paddling efficiency speed.
Longer is better up to a point 17 to 20 ft
the narrower the better till you fall out :lol:
shape of hull
rocker
What am I missing here ?
I listed them in the order of most importance to this ole red neck top being the highest.
Ron

For Me.........
I highlighted the most important one which was missing a lot of details. :D

Or to put it simply .. Enjoying the trip down the river , taking life easy and seeing all the sights plus .... one might say ...Smelling the roses.

Our everyday life is a rush to do this , a rush to do that and we get caught up in that thought. Why take that idea with you when enjoying something that has been there since creation. It took a long time for it to be there ...WHY rush threw it and miss everything that is offered to us for our enjoyment if we just don't take the time to see and understand it.

There are things in life that offer more enjoyment going slow then rushing past it. If anything it should be criminal to rush past it and not see , understand and appreciate it.

There is a pleasure in paddling three strokes forward and four going backwards if you have the time , thought and ability to do that. :D If you have zipped down a river then when you can go back and go slow and look at everything you missed , there is a whole new world for you to discover out there.

Been there , did it and did not get the "T" Shirt. :lol:

Chuck........

rpecot

Nov 10, 2006
Katy, TX
Since I don't have the luxury of many different boats to paddle, the one sure thing that I know of, that is independent of which boat you use, is a bent shaft canoe paddle.

Several years ago, I laid out the cash and ordered one from Bending Branches. No matter what kind of boat you have, if you're using a single blade paddle, get one with a bent shaft!

rpecot

Nov 10, 2006
Katy, TX
I didn't mean to high-jack the thread.

Just want to reiterate that the bent shaft made a world of difference in my canoe. When I first got it, it was to the point that I thought it wasn't working :? It was so darn effortless to paddle. For a <$100 investment, I made my canoe paddling experience MUCH more enjoyable.

And thanks for the kind words guys. Hard to believe those pictures are over 2 years old!

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Russel
A cute model there.
I think you hit on something I am a firm believer in, A good paddle is really more important than the boat you paddle.
Ron

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
When I tried a bent shaft paddle, I was as clumsy as a cub bear with his (well, never mind). I couldn't make it do what I thought it should be doing. Maybe I should have tried longer. I use a double bladed kayak paddle all the time for everything, and it works nicely for paddling I do.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day Ron,

I think what is most important differs from paddler to paddler.

Even then, our paddling styles, locations and even what we hope to achieve in paddling varies not only from bloke to bloke, but from day to day.

We both have some very fast kayaks. I just couldn't be bothered paddling them at this time. Likewise, I have no real interest in covering a lot of miles in a day - or a week for that matter. To this end, my Canoe is my preferred boat. It is no slouch by canoe standards but way slower than my sea kayaks or TK1s and K1.

For me, in the waters I am likeing more and more, (quiet mountain rivers) a canoe is ideal. I can load as much or as little as I choose, just amble along down the river taking in the sights and the wildlife and most importantly of all, I can take my friend with me. :D

To answer you question tho,

1. Ease of paddling.
2. Comfort
3. Safety. (Appropriate boat and equipment for the conditions and location)
4. A very good paddle
5. A boat one enjoys paddling

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Different paddlers, different paddles, different water, different usages, but ease of paddle keeps cropping up as a priority.

beekeeper

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
OK, I originally took the question " What is the most important?" to be referring to the performance of the boat. It seems like most of y'all looked at it from the angle of the paddler himself. In that case I would have to say that , for me, seat position is at the top of the list. There is nothing else that will make me more cranky than a seating position that is awkward and uncomfortable. Next in line is a comfortable paddle and THEN the performance of the boat comes into play.