What Kind of Snake Is that? | SouthernPaddler.com

What Kind of Snake Is that?

islandpiper

this is a good snake ID site.....easy and accurate.

http://mdg.ext.msstate.edu/Tom_Snake/index.html

Today while the Brinks man was here wiring the homestead he left the door open so that the snakes in the front yard could cut through the house headed for the back yard. Very convenient for the snakes. I got a good look at the big one. Good thing my bride was at work or the Sheriff would have gotten a call, or she would have gotten out my 12 ga with the #9 buck and taken care of the snake and the floor.

Piper

islandpiper

Jack, I know you are truley interested......

It was a Black Rat Snake.......may explain why there are no Chippies on my yard.

I told my wife if this happens again and I'm at work, to take the big buckshot loads out of the 12 ga. and put the #7 birdshot in. The floor work would be easier I think.

Guess I'll go check to see if there is any snakebite medicine in the house.

Piper

islandpiper

Jack.......chipmunks.....ground squirrels.......Tom and Jerry......

As for snappy looking, attractive women.....there are lots of them here in the deep south, a never ending supply. Sit in my shop when you come to visit and watch the high-heel crowd "do lunch" at Topa La Restaurant, right next door. And, oh yes, there are a few "snakes" who accompany them at times, too.

Piper

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
JACK.... GRITS ===> Girls Raised In The South.

Piper.... By the way the Black Snake , Indigo , Black Racer , what every you want to call it is protected here in Florida and killing one can cost you $500.00. They get rid of the ones you don't want around your place. I have two that live here and like to hang out in my workshop. They are small ones , only about 4 feet and nothing like to one that was at the old place.

He or She lived in what we called the Mule Barn , a old stable we keep fertilizer and feed in. That darn black snake was a good 7 feet (if not longer) and as round as a ball bat or bigger. There weren't any rats or mice in there to long , they disappeared really quick.

Chuck.

islandpiper

wannabe........'course, there's always the chance the mules ended up in the stew-pot, that old Chuck-meister's a cook , you know.

I had a recipe for mule but I think I lent it out to somebody and didn't get it back. As I remember it was pretty good but a quarter of a mule wouldn't fit in my regular smoker !

We put in some rosebushes in the front yard last night, about 15-feet from the front door, the one the snake uses. My wife kept a pretty close eye out in the grass for that Rat Snake, let me tell you.

Piper

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
islandpiper said:
... I had a recipe for mule but I think I lent it out to somebody and didn't get it back. As I remember it was pretty good but a quarter of a mule wouldn't fit in my regular smoker ! ...
I have recipes for:
Deer track soup
Feather pie ( can use turkey, pheasant, dove, etc. feathers)
Hog's breath pudding
Bloated goat gritz
Moose pie pie
Bear track steaks, and
Fish ripple chowder

I have no snake recipes; Chuckie is the snake-eater of the group. (He'll eat snails too.) I prefer beef, chicken, pork, or venison.

a Bald Cypress

May 7, 2007
Northwest Louisiana
snake

If y'all like snake pics, here are a couple of a fine fella we had living under the cistern down outside of Corpus Christi a coouple of years ago.

e924f5dd.jpg

e924f5d7.jpg

As you can see. Not all snakes are bad :p

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Not all snakes are bad , most of them are really good and serve a beneficial aid to us by getting rid of the bad ones and other critters which are just as bad.

The Good , The Bad and the Ugly depending on your thoughts provide a lot of good ....... Those idiots who think the only good snake is a dead one are some IDIOTS. Even the bad snakes are good for us , the Rattler eats more rodents then you will ever know about , he is helping to keep the population of them in check. Without his help we would be over run with rodents. You know the ones who like to sue you. OK... So the ones he eats are smaller but can cause a lot bigger problems ... Like plague. Sorry about he reference to lawyers ... this is not about Sharks. :lol:

Yep , You see one and ...NO not a Lawyer .. A Snake...PANIC.... he is going to kill me......... Not really , if you take a stick and gently move him or her out of the way it will leave you along , mess with it and get bitted. The same thing as messing and getting in the face of a person , you will get your lights punched out.

In a lot of ways they are like us ... leave me alone and I will leave you alone , I am not looking for a fight , just the ability of being here and doing my thing.

Stupidity and not understanding them is what creates the problem.... be nice to them ( at a distance because it might be a grumpy ole fart like some folks I know ) and there are no problems.

If you are going to be outdoors then you need to understand where you are.... You are not at home (Yours) you are in there home so if you have any decency then respect them.

I will tell you right now ..... Just like to pore misunderstood snake , step on me out there and you will suffer some damage and I think that goes with everyone on here. Let us be and then have a good time because we will.

In Summery.....
A dog will not bite you till you kick it or try to , a cat will not scratch you till you abuse it , The IRS will not get you till you cheat on your taxes , A Eye-ta-lion will not blow up till you throw out the garlic , A Yankee will not fight till there are grits on his plate , A snake will not bite you till it is picked on and I will not put prune juice in your water jug till you make me mad.
(Did I say I would hide your toilet paper , silly me I forgot that part)

When camping .. Understand and respect your neighbors...They were there before you..:D

Chuck.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
I hope the little pardners had their listenin' ears on fer that. Dont the Sparkanator remind ya'll of Saint Francis the Sissy. He liked ta talk ta the birds 'n the sweat bees.

Back when I wuz a little pardner a little gal down the street liked ta wear bright red lipstick 'n talk ta the big oak trees in the park. I always wondered if they talked back. Last I heard she wuz a doctor in New Orleans. That iz where everbody who talks ta trees 'er sees transparent folks end up.....by 'n by. :wink:

regards
bearridge

If Mr. McMurphy doesn't want to take his medication orally, I'm sure we can arrange that he can have it some other way. But I don't think that he would like it. Nurse Ratched

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
bearridge said:
I hope the little pardners had their listenin' ears on fer that. Dont the Sparkanator remind ya'll of Saint Francis the Sissy. He liked ta talk ta the birds 'n the sweat bees.
He was in WWAAYYYYY over his head. A couple of words there had three, maybe four, syllables. Sparkus Arrestus gets smoke coming out his ears with that kinda pallaverin'.

He's best off with single syllable words, like TIDE CHART.

If it sez TIDAL CHART, he gets all flumbustered.