What plywood to use | SouthernPaddler.com

What plywood to use

grubdog

May 26, 2008
Lawrenceburg,In
I have a question about what kind of plywood to use. I have sifted through pile after pile of luan plywood, and have yet to find one good sheet. We do not have any decent fir plywood either. My final option is to use marine plywood, which is 90 dollars a sheet; I am building an Uncle Johns four rib pirogue. One thing in addition to the lack of quality of the luan, is whether or not I am looking at luan or not. The luan I have seen in the past was slightly dark brown on one side, and lighter colored on the other. It is labeled as luan, but I wonder whether these big box stores just label it as such; with no real knowlege of what they are selling. I am dying to get started, but I do not want to waste money needlessly. Other questions I have, is how many sheets will I need for a four rib pirogue that is fifteen feet long? How do I space the ribs? Thanks for any feedback.

JEM

$90 a sheet? Ouch!

Try calling these places to see if you can get a better price:

South Bend - Johnson's Workbench, 51315 N US 33, 46637, 574/277 8350

Indianapolis - Carter Lee Lumber Co, 1717 West Washington St, 46222, 317-639-5431

Elkhart - Hudson Marine Plywoods, PO Box 1184, 46514 219/262 3666 '

La Grange, KY - Northland Corporation, 2600 Highway 146 East, 40031, 800-873-1441, 502-222-1441

grubdog

May 26, 2008
Lawrenceburg,In
Thanks for the resources! I really did not want to pay that much, but I have everything in place to start the build. I will be making some calls this week.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
A Uncle John pirogue only requires two sheets of plywood and the ribs if using 4 of them should be evenly spaced in the boat dividing it into 4 equal sections. The center two can be a Little closer together depending on what you want to do.

Best thing is to contact the designer and see what they have to say , just to play it safe.

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Grubdog, what thickness were you pricing? 4mm or 1/8" is what you want to use, I expect. My answer to you is in my signature block (down below the whiskey and women part - gotta keep priorities straight, ehh?)

grubdog

May 26, 2008
Lawrenceburg,In
Thanks Kayak Jack, I will go with that. Now the fun part is getting the wood to my house with the least amount of money possible. In my neck of the woods, few people ever consider building a wood boat of any kind; so availability of marine ply is almost nil. I just discovered that we have a beautiful marsh and swamps connected to some lakes near the Ohio River, so now I have a great incentive to build this boat. Hopefully I will do alright, then I can build one for my wife as well. I love this forum because people are so willing to help others out, a rare thing in this day and age; so thanks to everyone.

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
Got Lowe's where you are? They have a better grade of 1/4" Luan for sale. They call it premium underlayment. Brand name "Ultraply XL". Should be around $20.00 per sheet. It is not marine ply by any stretch of the imagination, but it is decent, and I think a good choice for a first boat.

GBinGA