what's on the holiday menu? | SouthernPaddler.com

what's on the holiday menu?

JEM

For Christmas, we have some rib eyes from these folks: http://www.sterlingsilvermeats.com/

A local butcher shop carries them at a good price ($8.99 per pound). $8.99 sounds high but it is a premium grade of meat and tastes simply unbelievable. Better than any cut of meat I've seen at any chair grocery store.

We'll do some sweat potatoes with it and a vegetable yet to be identified (wife's responsibility). :roll:

Christmas morning breakfast will be some home made pork sausage from the above mentioned butcher. He makes it very lean and very tasty. An 11-year-old female...who will not be mentioned by name but looks a lot like my wife and has my personality... let it slip that a Belgium Waffle maker might be under the tree for me Christmas morning so waffles will be on the breakfast menu.

This weekend, the in laws are visiting and we'll do some turkey one night and knish another tonight. Knish is a Jewish recipe we tried one year to make the spouse of a friend, who is Jewish, feel welcome at our holiday party. We've been doing our variation of them ever since.

New years eve will be shrimp and for new years day, jambalaya. I make jambalaya every year on New Years day because... well I don't know. I just made it one year and it been requested every following year.

What is everyone else doing?

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Just the two of us this year , the kids can't make it ..........
So around here , not sure about breakfast , might be eggs , bacon , grits and toast with some coffee or hot chocolate....or Oatmeal...... Lunch is a guess ( we have some left over spaghetti ) and dinner......... :?:

I just asked the wife about supper tomorrow night and she said ..... What ever is in the frig you want to cook. Me to her ...Honey , we have a HAMMmmmmmmmmmmmm.... THAT'S FOR NEW YEARS..... :oops: :oops: :oops:

I just did a Turkey a couple of days ago and still have left overs so I might march down to the store about mid morning and get a beef roast or a couple of steaks. Not really sure .... What ever I see that strikes my fancy since she is leaving it up to me.

I could always go with some fried cabbage and sausage ( mixed together) with some peppers and some corn bread on the side. Or just go for some take out from Famous Recipes , there fired and spicy chicken livers , mashed taters , biscuits and black eyed peas are some sort of good with some gravy to dip the livers in.
Yep , Supper tomorrow night will be a crap shoot on what it will be. Roll the dice and see where they land. :lol:

Chuck.
Pork Chops on the grill for tonight.

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
i aint cooking nothing i,m coming over to you guys house. sausage,sweet potatoes ,cabbage & black eyed peas thats good enough for me. :wink: :D

last week we had christmas at my family,s , at church & last night at my wifes family good thing we don,t have these big dinners & suppers every day :( i probally we gain a few pounds. as far as tommorrow i guess its,eggs ,sausage & maybe somepan cakes in the morn. wife hasn,t said what we havent for dinner i guess i want turn it down? :wink:

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
We're invited to my sister's house for Christmas dinner ( that's the noon meal for you Yankees). Roast, rice dressing, candied yams, sweet peas, corn, potato salad, and the main thing- crawfish stew and rice. Crawfish stew has been a family tradition for close to 50 years in our family. For Thanksgiving at my mother's house we had much the same menu as well as 12lb turkey. Had 57 people there - just immediate family- and they cleaned out the crawfish stew. We're not talking about a cast iron pot - more like a cauldron. 12 lbs of crawfish meat , onions ,celery and bell pepper. Might have been worse if the other 20 or so family members would have showed up. 5 generations of family make for a big event.

Joey

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
My Son, Daughter, and Grandkids are here and we have Tortallini (did I spell that right Yak) soup. Tomorrow we will all go over to my parents and have our Christmas and dinner. Don't know what all will be there to eat but Mrs. B has made Bean Bundels. It will be good.
Bob

swamprat

Aug 28, 2003
Venus Fl.
members.findmoore.net
Wife decided that the "theme" would be food that we have grown or harvested from our new home in the woods so its a wild hog roast in a mango glaze. sweet potatoes, green beans and key lime pie. To drink will be lemonade from the wild rough lemon tree by the creek.We had to cheat a bit as the key lime juice came from the trees in our old house in Naples but I'm not going to complain. :mrgreen:

dawallace45

Lamb leg roast covered in mustard and rosemary , Boneless pork roast stuffed with dried apricots and studded with garlic and glazed with honey , all done on a wood fires spit roast , glazed ham plus Pumpkin , Zucchini , Potato , sweet potatoes and carrot all done in the Webber for that smokey charcoal flavoring and seasoned with Cajun seasoning , Pavlova , Rum trifle , Caramel cream tart and toblerone cheesecake , white Christmas , rum balls , chocolate truffles and white chocolate truffles , unfortunately it was too bloody hot to eat much

David