Where are the Boat Builders? | SouthernPaddler.com

Where are the Boat Builders?

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
I believe only one canoe and one kayak build post have been made since 2014. Both were incomplete. :( Only one pirogue build this year, and only a few build questions. Other forums I look at seem to have little activity also.
Seems to me there is a falling away from the hobby and business of building wooden boats. With the world wide internet craze you would think new blood would be joining the fun.
Might just be my perception. Does anyone know any areas of activity?

beekeeper

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Jack that may be one of the reasons for lack of building by the regulars on here. It is understandable that folks take up a hobby/activity, master it or at least partake of it for some time and then move onto something else. Just seems to me new builders should be coming on board. Hoping someone might know an active community/group of builders.

beekeeper

NWDad

Oct 4, 2015
I for one am doing a lot of research for my 1st build. I hope to be ordering the plans for the South Wind 17-9 this fall and start building this winter. It does seem like there was a big rush and then it died down. I really enjoyed following all your builds and got lots of good ideas for when I finally start mine.

Kevin

NWDad

Oct 4, 2015
Thanks, I will try and get a hold of him. I am thinking that it would be just right for my daughter and me. Where we like to fish no motors are allowed so the South Wind looks like it would be perfect for us.

Kevin

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
My take on it is that it's the curse of the active minds we have here on this forum. A lot of us are of the "been there, done that........OOooooo, that looks interesting. I think I'll try that." persuasion. I tend to go off on tangents for a month, year, 5 years and then go on to other things. I tell my wife that life is like an all you can eat buffet. I wouldn't want to go to a buffet and eat the same thing every time.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
tx river rat said:
My lack of building is from building the Northwind ,I am not going to get any better .
Ron

Ron , I'm with you but in my case it is the Sasquatch solo canoe.
A couple of months ago I got a friend of mine , who has finally beat his Cancer , into a ready to go fishing pirogue because his Doc suggested that it would be good therapy for him to get back to fishing , he does like his fishing.
The old sayings say it the best .... The time spent fishing , does not count against you. :D

Gamecock

Jul 17, 2012
Well I hope to finally get started on my cypress plank pirouge this summer. I have everything to get started and now I'm just working part time. I've got to get the shop cleaned out first. It's a mess. Dave.

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Spoke with three people Sat. at the Denham Springs "Pioneer Day" that were building pirogues before the flood. (washed away or put on hold)
I guess there may be some builders out there, just not posting.

beekeeper

cliff58

Jun 5, 2017
Orlando, Florida
Hi, I'm Cliff and I'm one of those boat builders you're looking for. Well, not really but I'm learning by doing here so perhaps I can say that and mean it eventually. Just started on my first build, a pirogue this weekend. Ripped a 2x6 up into 1x2s Sat. and cut sides out of the plywood Sunday. Thats all the rains let me do so far without a shop to work in. I guess the next step is to dig up my camera knowing how y'all feel about pics!

I didn't find a thread for new member intros so in this first post I'll mention that I've enjoyed fishing and boating all my life but never got to do enough of any of it. Funny how life tends to get in the way of the important stuff. Now that 60 is knocking on my door I've got some catching up to do, and after much lurking here and other research, I'm going to build something appropriate for Shingle Creek which is just down the street from me and the other "skinny waters" around here. What a great alternative to the plasic toys in Walmart! It started with a google search for "cheap canoe" and over a month or so has evolved into a "by hand and by eye" project that should end up very rewarding, thanks mostly to the inspiration of all the good folks on this forum.

So, am I going to have to do this all by myself? Come on people, let's build some boats here!:D

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
cliff58 Welcome to the nut house :confused:

It's nice to see a new boat builder on here. New in relation to being almost 60 since most of us on here passed that many , many , many years ago. One exception is Kayak Jack , he passed it century's ago. He keeps hinting about being instrumental in making the boat for the Lewis & Clark expedition. :rolleyes:

Feel free to ask questions and it is safe to say you should get more then one answer to anything asked. You are correct about a boat you made , it is always better then one off the shelf because it is done your way , for you and your enjoyment.

Several pleasures in making one , 1st is making it and understanding all the steps. 2nd is watching it become complete. 3rd is actually using it and the best are all the comments when folks see it.

Chuck.......