Where are the Boat Builders? | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

Where are the Boat Builders?

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Cliff welcome and thanks for posting. "By hand and by eye" is a very rewarding way to build. Looking forward to your build.

beekeeper

cliff58

Jun 5, 2017
Orlando, Florida
Hope y'all didn't think I gave up. The weather here has been very uncooperative, raining all but 2 afternoons or evenings (the only time I can work on it) for a month now. I did mention I have to build outside, didn't I? I managed to put up some makeshift shelter using an 8x8 canopy and a 9x12 tarp so I can make a little progress here and there. Just uploaded some images to postimg.io so I can get the build thread going. But first I'll have to see if I can get the pics to show up in the post, so here's the moment the forms finally got set just right so I could shoot screws in them... well, it might show up :confused:

skrq97paj
https://postimg.org/image/skrq97paj/
skrq97paj

cliff58

Jun 5, 2017
Orlando, Florida
Okay, forget the image button here, simply copying and pasting postimage's "hotlink for forums" is all it takes. :D How simple is that? Oldsparkey, will this size be ok for everyone?

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Looking good. I like the shape of the boat. Have you determined what the rocker will be?

beekeeper

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
cliff58....

Looking good ;)
When you start to do some epoxy work or glassing the best time is in the evening when things are starting to cool down but look out for the bugs that like to land on the wet epoxy.

Just to let you know...... On the initial application of epoxy to the woods surface. Especially in a non climate controlled enclosure.
Here in Florida , I found that the wood has a little air in it. As the temp increases during the day the air escapes from the wood as it heats up. If you have epoxy on the wood it will have a lot of small air bubbles on the surface that needs to be lightly sanded after the epoxy cures. Then you can put more epoxy without any problems.

If you do the epoxy in the late afternoon as the temp decreases the air is drawn back into the wood as it cools and there are not be any bubbles on the epoxy's surface when it cures.

cliff58

Jun 5, 2017
Orlando, Florida
That is some great advice oldsparkey! To some extent I think that would be true of any initial finish applied to the wood.I simply can't afford epoxy and glass right now, but do have a plan for something better than just painting. Another concern that I've given some thought to is how much moisture will be trapped in the wood when it's sealed here in the Sauna State. I'll be asking about that in a separate thread. So far all I've thought of is to expose the boat to a few hours of sunshine just before coating the wood, which I'm guessing would drive out some of the moiture.

Beekeeper, I'm aiming for about 1 to 2 inches of rocker, and trying to eyeball it up on the horses it looks close to 2 right now. I won't know the exact measurement until the stems are in and I flip it over. Got one stem in today before my drill battery died doing countersinks for the second one.:(

Oh and Kayak Jack, I'll believe your log cabin story just as soon as I see the video on youtube. You did wear the old 8mm GoPro, didn't you?

Last edited:

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Cliff, in those days, wandering scribners documented such events by carving in wood or stone. If they used wood, they thinned down the skabs. That way, two men could hold the stack, and flip through them quickly. It gave the impression of moving pictures.
Later, I invented paper, and the flipping was easier.

cliff58

Jun 5, 2017
Orlando, Florida
Hey, remember me? More of that "life got in the way" stuff has been going on here than I have known what to do with. Another 5 weeks of daily rain, my computer died, the wife got sick, the hurricane hit, the wife got sick again, I think you get the picture. Things started turning around a bit at Christmas, starting with this little incentive from the wife:

I didn't get a computer that day but not long after that someone who probably did tossed out their old one with just the part I needed inside it, so I finally fixed mine. Also a friend gave me a tarp to create a "build shelter" so here we go again! Tonight I will upload pics and get stated on composing an actual build thread. Sure hope the old brain cells haven't forgotten too much in the last 8 months... o_O

Last edited:

hairymick01

I've been a bit busy these last 5 years or so. Life has got in the way of building too many more boats.. My Southwind, Sasquatch and Okwater do all that I need from paddlecraft for now.

About a year ago, I bought a 23ft modified Dutch Scow of an old bloke who built her from a book. He and his brother sailed her up the west coast of our Cape York Peninsula and back. True wilderness. Have been quietly modifying her as a bug out boat, should the need arise. My version of prepping I guess. When done, she will make a fairly comfortable and seaworthy coastal cruister with remarkable shallow water capability.

For my part so far, i have been playing with the standing rigging, electronics like solar and refridgeration etc to try to make her truly liveabord should the shit hit the fan. Will post pics if anybody is interested.

oldbuffpilot

May 13, 2014
Central Kansas and Central Texas
Since the thread is where are all the boat builders, I guess it's Cliff and me. I'm kind of stuck in Texas right now, no complaints--I love Texas and it's where I need to be now. Anyway with some spare time, I decided to build myself a short sided crawdad, our Grandsons looked so good I went for it again. May or may not get finished in a timely manner, just see where life takes us.

Good Fish'n
Andy

Guess I need to send Matt some money-- worth every penny!

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Nice boat. I enjoy the woodworking but not so much for the finishing, but the finish is what highlights the wood. Thanks for posting.
I assume cedar? Where do you find your's?

bee

oldbuffpilot

May 13, 2014
Central Kansas and Central Texas
Nice boat. I enjoy the woodworking but not so much for the finishing, but the finish is what highlights the wood. Thanks for posting.
I assume cedar? Where do you find your's?

Bee
Home Depot or Lowes. I also keep an eye on craigs list. A few years ago I found some WRC 2x8 x14' bought 10 of them for $80! So I've got lifetime supply here in Texas. I use the WRC to keep the weight down. I just got some UV inhibited epoxy from RAKA. I'm thinking about not varnishing, just keep UV shield auto coating on it and see what happens. If it starts to get cloudy I will paint it!
Got to spend a short time at Baudcau a few weeks ago. Way too much water, but beautiful.

Andy

NWDad

Oct 4, 2015
Checking in again. Hit with life changes. Looks like we will be moving to north Florida sooner than planned. Was going to do if in three years but now it looks like 9 months. Not my choice, being forced out. With that in mind I was going to build a Southwind but that is going to change to a Sasquatch which is better suited for the area I will be moving to and the needs of this tired beat up body. Hope to start it next fall.