Where have I been? | SouthernPaddler.com

Where have I been?

mosportsmen

Jul 29, 2005
Kirksville MO
mosportsmen.com
I have been over at the Teardrops & TTT web forum.

I have been building the ultimate canoe camper. She is a long way from being done. I will post some photos this week. Building a boat.......qualify that....building a simple pirogue, ain't nothing compaired to this little project. I am already months into it and I feel like I have months to go.

Gona be pretty cool when she gets done though.

Hope everyone is doing well over here.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Looking forward to some pictures and information on the construction of your camper. A while back we were discussing them and the advantages of having one for roaming around and camping.

Are you going to put a canoe rack on it so you will have the best of both worlds?
How about the web site where you located it and which one you are building. I found the http://www.teardrops.net/ and they have a bunch of them listed.

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Ya know, Chuckie, he's a pretty smart feller (did I say that rightly?) to hire those movie star-type folks to be in his pictures. Much better looking than us.

And, he borrowed the 'Possum Van from Red Green too!

mosportsmen

Jul 29, 2005
Kirksville MO
mosportsmen.com
I am building the one that is designed for toting a canoe of course.
http://www.angib.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/teardrop/tear42.htm

I am using this basic design with a lot of self design and design while doing.

I scavenged some doors from a construction dumpster at a local colege remodel. That was great for saving me time building my own. I just got the first coat of epoxy on them today.

My design is a little taller so I can have the canoe on top and cook in the gally and not bump my head on the canoe too often.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Mo,

I like what I'm seeing. Also, let me congratulate you on your sketching abilities. Three views in mechanical drawing portray a complicated solid well, and adding colors helps too. I can envision it well. In fact, I saw you cooking and smelled the hamburgers too.

Chuckie, Old Yaker, & I have been back channeling about a trailer for Chuckie. One of Yakus Trailericus' suggestions was to add Bearing Buddies to the wheels. I'd have to concur; anything to increase both convenience and quality of lubricating wheel bearings is a good thing to do. Grease is cheap; bearing steel is expensive.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
Red Green is the northwoods version of Snuffy Smith and Andy Capp and Archie Bunker - all rolled into one.

(His nephew, Harold, is a retired sheriff.)

Here in the South Red and Green are the colors of our stop lights. "O" I almost forgot there is a yellow in between then, sort of the shade of Yeller Gritz. :D
Man are you Yankees ever messed up, thinking colors are folks in the woods.

OK ... I got it .... I think I might understand it from what I have heard about living up there...
Green would be a guy who is mildewed from the moisture and not taking a bath.
Red would be someone sunburned or eaten up with black fly's.
I am not even going to think about the yeller snow. :oops:

I see how all this fits in with camping and camping trailers... Find a place with showers , no black fly's and no snow. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chuck.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
After looking at the links oldyaker furnished I really would like to watch that show but as life always is .... I just have to many things to do. :p

1.... Wash the car during a rain.
2.... Wrinkle the ironed clothes.
3..... Mow the grass during a drought when it is dead and not growing.
4..... Make notes about all of the things Jack said that are true.
5..... Publish a book about How Yankees Eat Grits. ( a recipie book about how Jack cooks his grits and serves them) I would not even have to number the pages, except for page #1 .... The Introduction.
6......Dull all of the sharp knives here at the place, if I can find a sharp one.
7..... Count the Kleenex that are left in an empty box.
8..... Watch the paint dry on the back wall.
9..... Balance my closed checking account.....
10.....Replace the winter air with summer air in the flat tire on the bicycle.

So much to do and so little time to get it done, I have to spend it wisely and not fritter it away by watching something on the Boob tube, as much as I would really like to.
A Yankee version of Hee Haw would be interesting to see. :roll:

Chuck.

mosportsmen

Jul 29, 2005
Kirksville MO
mosportsmen.com
I think I understand. I can see the relationship of my redneck mud, blood, canoe carring camper with the Red Green show. Red Green would be proud of me. I know you fellar's will enjoy the project too once you'se see's my progress. Got a front wall on with epoxy today. Shore is lookin' purdy. I rigged up the itchen with your choise of lights...bright white fer ifn ya needs to tye some flies on the kitchen counter top or orange ifn ya jest needs a beer and you don't want to trackd the skeeters.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Ya is using them lectric lights in the camper... :? ... Golly Darn , shucks, all we have down here are them Kerosene lights and when a bug gets near them he goes up in flames.

Some folk have something called Coleman lanterns that run off gas but I have not figured that out yet ... most of our gas comes from the cows. :lol:

OK ... On the serious side ... Dam that hurt's me to say it............. The lights you have hooked up are they the standard ones that require the power company or the ones a 12 volt battery with a solar panel to recharge the battery ......... make them work.

You might want to take a break and see how this camper ( Clyde) fixed up his van for camping in the middle of nowhere. http://www.clydesisler.com/index.htm His is a very interesting web site to have some fun digging around in , lots of good ideas.

Chuck.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Glad to see you back MO! Don't stay away so long. Now the Sheriff can poke fun at old Red Green as much as he wants, but he is more like old Red than he cares to admit. Old Red made a mobile BBQ grill from a Dodge K-Car, he made a canoe from old ice chests, he made a canoe from two old bass boats, he made an entertainment system from an old fridge, he made a camper from an old porta jon. Now, Chuck is trying to make an air boat from a bath tub and an old ceiling fan! See the connection?
Remember, "If the women don't find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy!"

( Chuck stepping in here....... Yaker ... Go back to your nap. "O"ooop's that was Swampy when I called him today at 2 P.M. , darn it is hard telling the difference betwen you two) :p

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Chuck, I've never even met Swampus Dranicus, and I can tell the difference between him & Yakus Crumpicus from 50 feet - one's more ugly than the other.

Trick is, as you glance back & forth from one to the other, each one sinks a little lower into terminal bestiality. It's a slow process, but noticeable after a while. So far, neither one seems to have a lower limit.

Don't look a way too long, though, because then they both start to sharpen back up. But, neither one's had ever made it back to the surface.

mosportsmen

Jul 29, 2005
Kirksville MO
mosportsmen.com
Here are the photos. I put a pile of them in my gallery at the ttt forum.

I did not draw the plans I posted before. I used them. There are a bunch of different designs a guy can dream about in the designs section of that site. The lights are all 12 volt running off a battery. I will be pretty much self contained but I am also making room for a microwave oven I can plug in when I go to the state parks or wherever I might have access to 110v. I decided not to wire the camper for that though. I can just run an extension cord when I need to.

Here is a link to the gallery to more if you want. when you hold your cursor over the thum nail it gives you a discription and you can click on it and see it bigger.

http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/album_personal.php?user_id=2609

mosportsmen

Jul 29, 2005
Kirksville MO
mosportsmen.com
Well at least you can see the photos by clicking in. I wish I was done and camping with it but there is still lots more to do. Working on doors tonight. Got to order windows for the front doors before I can finish them though. The back doors will most likely be hung in place this week though.

mosportsmen

Jul 29, 2005
Kirksville MO
mosportsmen.com
I got my roof vent and windows ordered yesterday but did not make much progress on the monstrosity yesterday. This thing is 20.00$in' me to death. I think I am making it pretty inexpensively but it adds up. I could have probably found an little old camper cheeper but it just wouldn't be the same.......kinda like boat building huh?

mosportsmen

Jul 29, 2005
Kirksville MO
mosportsmen.com
I had to push it this weekend and took it camping dispite the fact that it still is without a roof, doors, cabinets. My son and I slept in it two nights and it was great. I just covered the openings with camo burlap and netting, then rigged a tarp over top. Can't wait to get it done.

I had the pirogue on top of the yukon all weekend four wheeling all over my buddies farm and forgot the paddle and the fishing rods so i never took it off the top........looked cool though. We got the cabin and hunting land in shape pretty good.