Where's my dang apron...... | SouthernPaddler.com

Where's my dang apron......

A

Anonymous

Paddlin' Friends,

I know I aint give ya'll any cookin' tips yet, but I been advisin' our president 'n chief cowboy on how ta deal with Canada, workin' fer a livin', avoidin' Christmas 'n discoverin' Irish Whiskey. Whew!

When Kayak Jack finishes hiz Tri-Chi wok stand, I'll likely borrow hiz apron 'n learn ya'll how ta stir fry grits.....but fer now.....let me jest contribute a recipe frum one of my airgun pals.

enjoy.....Miz Jean, this mite dry out fer a nice change of pace? 8)

http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/thr ... 1072155623

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Southeastern North Carolina
Oh Lawd ya'll haz got sum taste budz! :shock:
Thiz haz got to come frum a Jimmy F. Cooper novel
"Mouse Slayer"
What would Mickey say?!
"Who'z th' leader o' th' club thatz made fer you an' me?
B-E-A-R
R-I-D-G-E

Beary Ridge ~~~Beary Ridge
Forever hold your thighs!"

30 rats.... ya gotta live up nawth to git that many.....

swampy

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Just two days ago, I was pricing mousey traps inna hardware store. Two of the Victor standard types for $0.99. Hell amighty! If John Boy woulda had them in the BWCA, he'd a eat like a king.

Onliest thing that concerned me is, good bait for a mousey trap is a string tied around the trigger, soaked in a bit of bacon grease or smeared with peanut butter. That attracts bears too. I can see it now ....

Camp on a lonely shore, a far away lake. Chuckie, Swampus, n Jackus are snoring. E a s y like a slip of fog, the griz sneaks into camp. Slowly slipping sideways so she sneakily sidles, securely stopping, she sniffs ... smells ... samples ... suddenly SNAP!! ROAAAARRR

Chuck n Jack both elbow Swampus, and whisper in unison, "Swampy! Wake up. Your trap worked. Gop get'im!"

Later that morning, Chuck sez to Jack, "I was gettin to like that guy."
"Yep, gonna miss him around here. Got any more coffee in that pot?"
"Naww, just gritz."
"unprintable"

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Head lines that day:
"Hillbilly saves two in bear trap!"
..... Swampy, a fellow paddler of the two survivers, was gulped down by a grizzly bear moments after sniffing the other two. Seeing that the Sampy was a bigger meal , and possible smeld better, he chose him.
"Tried to wake the boy up but he'd just wave us off." Said a nervous Kayak Jack.
"I was wetting my sleeping bag to do any good in trying to save him," quote Old Sparkey who continued to shake as reporters questioned them.
The two said they celebrated their survival with several bowls of gritz.
"Best thing since kool-aid," Jack was reported to say.
However, later Swampy was found to be wondering along the shore line.
"Bear didn't like tickling inside of 'em. So he jest tossed me out an' run off." The men continued their trip with only one change. Kayak Jack started sleeping with one eye open and a box of yellow gritz at his side.
:wink:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Jack

We are safe up there in the North woods .... Our snoring would make any bear think that a monster is in camp ... so they would steer clear of us and just naturally go over to swampy and his light snoring.

Anyway swampy say's that I snore .... Never heard it myself. :roll:
Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
... and per local legend, neither does Jack snore.

There is, however, a very canny Lynx-type catamount about who knows ventriloquism very well. Some say she haunts the shores where Ole Kayak paddles and camps, sleuthing about in the underbrush like a rejected lover, just waiting to ruin the reputation of this otherwise immutable man of the wilderness.

Anyway, that's what I read on the latrine wall.

Jean

bearridge said:
enjoy.....Miz Jean, this mite dry out fer a nice change of pace?

Bearridge, you know me too well!! :p When I have a good recipe like that one, I have a little song I sing. 8) It goes like this

"greasy grimy goffer guts,
insulated monkey meat,
little bitty birdy's feet,
and me without my spoon!" :twisted:
lol

Say, while scrolling down on the page the recipe was on, I noted the following info:
bearridge
bodine culinary school
randall mcmurphy award

You been holding out on us!! :p

Your friends in the airgun group sound like a fun group. I especially liked the way to dress the mouse :shock: lol

Do you think that may be who has been giving Swampy tips on his cheerleading outfit!! :D

miz jean

A

Anonymous

Miz Jean,

Aint them airgunners a hoot? Aint never seen a group made up a such folks. They got Berkley lab science fellas, a child tv star (whose buddy filed them charges agin Mikey Jackson), a Texas bike racer who done some ridin' with Ole Lance Armstrong, professors, a ton a computer nerds, HVAC fellas, Auburn College architect teacher, 80+ year old Willard frum that little town in Nebraska where them Mexican banditos killed all the folks down at Willard's bank, cops, photographers, old soldiers, young soldiers, hunters, paper punchers, Russ (hardest workin' man in show bizness...'n former beaux ta Miz Martha Stewart), Bubba who runs the Southern Test Facility outta Nixa (where they had the shootin' team sponsored by Hiney Wine), some doctors, lawyers, injuns, etc. There iz fellas frum all over the world, even Johnny frum Sweden who iz all the time runnin' down the USA....' n our troops. The Canucks iz fine fellas. No french however. Yrrah iz frum OZ. Daisy iz frum Aussieland. Lotsa Americans frum south of the Rio Grande. Brits 'n Californy fellas.

My cookin' days iz becomin' a memory cuz Miz Bear kin whup up vittles quick 'n tasty....kinda like Po Campo in Lonesome Dove.

Once upon a time I scairt Ole Lance on New Years cuz I tole him I wuz bringin' stir fried earthworms ta hiz party. I wuz jest kiddin', but he took it serius. I seen them asian folks eat some strange food so I aint sho stir fried earthworms wouldnt be a big hit. Hey, that mite be dried fer backpackin' too?

I'll see if Miz Bear thinks I oughta work on this recipe.....on our stove. :wink:

regards,

bearridge

P.S. Lance wuz jest on that Turner South show called Off the Menu. He took chef Wally Jo out 'n showd him how we catch yeller cat, then Wally showd how he cooks 'em. Now Lance aims ta take George Bush 'er Morgan Freeman fishin'. I'm gwine ta work on the invite (president's) next week. We figger we're already on guviment lists anyhow. Wonder if the secret police ever been hoop net fishin'?

I mite ask 'em if they want ta watch a earthworm hunt 'n then stir fry? Thats how the show works. The chef goes huntin' 'er fishin'. Whatever he shoots/catches, he cooks.

My nephew Andrew comes on at the tailend when him 'n Wally Jo go ta the Vietnam Grocery up in Memphis. He wuz stuffin' hiz basket with quail eggs cuz he sez they mite fine in somethin'. [My hearin' iz gittin bad az my seein'.] :cry:

The Turner folks dont allow Yankees ta see this show. They have ta listen to Emerald. He kin cook, but I caint listen ta him talk. I miss Ole Justin Wilson.

Reckon this iz the longest P.S. I done so far.

Jean

Earth Worm Stir Fry

Hey Bearridge,

Now that group sounds almost as diverse as this here Southern Paddler group!! :)

I was thinking on your Earthworm stir fry, and I saw some grubs fried up one of the cooking shows called "unusual food finds". We did carry a book called "Entertaining with Insects", but it is out of print now. Folks seemed to like it for lots of different reasons. Some like a good gag gift, and some think it is a good survival cookbook. It is out of print , but I was looking around for you an earthworm recipe, and found the following recipes and information on insects that I thought you might want to share with your friends :

If Americans could tolerate more insects (bugs) in what they eat, farmers could significantly reduce the amount of pesticides applied each year. It is better to eat more insects and less pesticide residue. If the U.S. Food and Drug Administration would relax the limit for insects and their parts (double the allowance) in food crops, U.S. farmers could significantly apply less pesticide each year. Fifty years ago, it was common for an apple to have worms inside, bean pods with beetle bites and cabbage with worm eaten leaves. Most Americans don't realize that they are probably already eating a pound or two of insects each year. One cannot see them, since they have been ground up into tiny pieces in such items as strawberry jams, peanut butter, spaghetti sauce, applesauce, frozen chopped broccoli, etc. Actually, these insect parts make some food products more nutritious. An issue of the Food Insects Newsletter reports that 80 percent of the world's population eats insects intentionally and 100 percent eat them unintentionally.

The nutritional content of edible insects and other animals based on a 100 gram serving are as follows:
Energy(Kcal) Protein(g) Iron(mg) Thiamine(mg) Riboflavin(mg) Niacin
Termite(Macrotermes subhyanlinus) 613 14.2 0.75 0.13 1.15 0.95
Caterpillar(Usata terpsichore) 370 28.2 35.5 3.67 1.91 5.2
Weevil(Rhynchophorus phoenicis) 562 6.7 13.1 3.02 2.24 7.8
Beef(Lean ground) 219 27.4 3.5 0.09 0.23 6.0
Fish(Broiled cod) 170 28.5 1.0 0.08 0.11 3.0

Some tasty insect recipes obtained from the Iowa State Department of Entomology EntoGopher are as follows:

Rootworm Beetle Dip
2 cups low-fat cottage cheese
1-1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons skim milk
1/2 cup reduced calorie mayonnaise
1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
1 tablespoon onion, chopped
1-1/2 tsp. dill weed
1-1/2 tsp. Beau Monde
1 cup dry-roasted rootworm beetles

Blend first three ingredients. Add remaining ingredients and chill.

Banana Worm Bread
1/2 cup shortening
3/4 cup sugar
2 bananas, mashed
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup chopped nuts
2 eggs
1/4 cup dry-roasted armyworms

Mix together all ingredients. Bake in greased loaf pan at 350 deg F for about one hour.

Chocolate Chirpie Chip Cookies
2-1/4 cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
2 eggs
1 12-ounce pkg. chocolate chips
1 cup chopped nuts
1/2 cup dry-roasted crickets

Preheat oven to 375 deg F. In small bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt; set aside. In large bowl, combine butter, sugar, brown sugar and vanilla; beat until creamy. Beat in eggs. Gradually add flour mixture and insects, mix well. Stir in chocolate chips. Drop by rounded measuring teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 8-10 minutes.

Bug Blox
2 large packages gelatin
2 1/2 cups boiling water (do not add cold water)
Stir boiling water into gelatin. Dissolve completely.
Stir in dry-roasted leafhoppers.

Pour mixture slowly into 13 x 9 inch pan. Chill at least three hours. BLOX will be firm after one hour, but may be difficult to remove from pan. Cutting blox: dip bottom pan in warm water 15 seconds to loosen gelatin. Cut shapes with cookie cutters all the way through gelatin. Lift with index finger or metal spatula. If blox stick, dip pan again for a few seconds.

Source: Eating Insects, Bees Wax, Newsletter for ESA's Youth Member, February 1994

Fried Green Tomato Hornworms
Yield: 4 servings

What does a tomato hornworm taste like? Well, what would you taste like if you'd been stuffing yourself solely with tomato leaves for the better part of a month? Hornworms are ridiculously chlorophyll-rich. They taste great with just about any summer vegetable, but my favorite recipe draws inspiration from the cuisine of the Whistle Stop Cafe, that fictitious Alabama diner made famous by novelist Fanny Flagg.

"You'll think you died and gone to heaven," boasts Flagg of her recipe. To which I add, "If you do go to heaven, ask the Powers That Be to keep the tomato hornworms out of my vegetable patch."

3 tablespoons olive oil
16 tomato hornworms
4 medium green tomatoes, sliced into 1/4-inch rounds
Salt and pepper to taste
White cornmeal
In a large skillet or wok, heat the oil. Then lightly fry the hornworms, about 4 minutes, taking care not to rupture the cuticles of each insect under high heat. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.

Season tomato rounds with salt and pepper, then coat with cornmeal on both sides.

In a large skillet, fry tomatoes until lightly browned on both sides

Top each round with 2 fried tomato hornworms.

Garnish the paired hornworms with a single basil leaf.

From the Eat a bug cookbook.

and last but not least:

The following recipes are from: Entertaining with Insects: The Original Guide to Insect Cookery By Ronald L. Taylor and Barbara J. Carter. 1992. Salutek Publ. Co. Yorba Linda. 160 pages.

Mealworm Cookies

Ingredients:
550 ml (1-1/4 cups?) all-purpose flour
5 ml (1 tsp.) baking soda
5 ml (1 tsp.) salt
250 ml (1 cup) softened butter
175 ml (3/4 cup) white sugar
125 ml (1/2 cup) crumbled dried mealworms
175 ml (3/4 cup) firmly packed brown sugar
5 ml (1 tsp.) vanilla
2 eggs
360 grams (1-1/2 cups) chocolate chips

Place the cleaned and prepared insects on a cookie sheet and dry in the oven for 1 -2 hours at 100¡C (200¡F). Preheat oven to 190¡C (375¡F). In a bowl, mix the flour, baking soda and salt. In another bowl, cream butter, white sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla. Stir in eggs. Gradually add the flour mixture. Stir in chocolate chips and mealworms. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto a cookie sheet, and bake 8- 10 minutes.

Mealworm CanapŽs

Ingredients:
85 ml (1/3 cup) mealworm larvae, slightly thawed
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
5 ml (1 tsp.) tomato paste
15 ml (1 Tbsp) olive oil
5 ml (1 tsp.) lemon juice
5 ml (1 tsp.) red wine vinegar
plus: red wine vinegar, freshly ground pepper, loaf of French bread (baguette), finely chopped fresh parsley

With a mortar and pestle or in a blender, mash the mealworms, garlic and tomato paste into a puree. Stirring constantly (or with the blender running), add the oil, a few drops at a time. Add the lemon juice, wine vinegar and pepper. Cut the baguette into 1.5 cm slices. Under the broiler, toast one side of the bread slices, and spread the untoasted side with the mixture. Place the canapŽs on a baking sheet and bake at 200¡C (400¡F) for 10 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley.

Siu Mai

Ingredients:
250 ml (1 cup) mealworms
4 water chestnuts
60 ml (4 Tbsp) green onions, sliced
125 ml (1/2 cup) bamboo shoots
1 egg
5 ml (1 tsp.) salt
23 ml (1 - I/2 Tbsp) soy sauce
30 ml (2 Tbsp) sherry
5 ml (1 tsp.) sugar
23 ml (1 1/2 tsp.) cornstarch
1 ml (1/4 tsp.) pepper
plus: wonton wrappers, dipping sauce (see below), vegetable oil

Place mealworms in blender, and grind until paste-like. Chop water chestnuts and add mealworm paste, green onions, bamboo shoots, egg, salt, soy sauce, sherry, sugar, cornstarch and pepper. Mix well. Fill center of won ton wrapper with 30 ml (2 tsp.) of mixture. Fold won ton in shape of a triangle. Moisten finger tips, and seal edges. Fold creased corners backward and secure the ends with more water. (They should now be shaped as a bishop's cap.) Place in skillet containing oil heated to about 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Fry for about 5 minutes. Serve with Dipping Sauce.

Dipping Sauce:

15 ml (1 tsp.) boiling water
15 ml (1 tsp.) mustard
15 ml (1 tsp.) vinegar
30 ml (2 tsp.) soy sauce
Add boiling water to mustard and mix well. Add vinegar and soy sauce. Stir well.

Well, got a little carried away with the bug recipes. But you may have fun with them shocking your friends with some dinner suggestions, :twisted: and it will probably flip them out to have the nutritional!! They are raised for food in some places and called "micro-livestock" :shock: "No Kidding!" :?

Let me know when the next segment of off the menu with Lance will be on.
Sounds like fun.

Miz Jean

P.S. Looks like the nutritional chart isn't going to come out on this in chart form, but if anyone wants it I will send it to you. Also, if you haven't had your fill :lol: of insects at this point, you might want to check here: http://www.pedagonet.com/other/cuis.html

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
bearridge said:
(Large - and well justified - SNIP) I miss Ole Justin Wilson. (SNIP)
Br'r Bear,

Now DER is a fine observation. "Brought yursef heah for five or four minuett. I wan for me to SEE you. Dot damn Jeansonne he a bad'un, ehh? He cheat Hebert otta hiz likker jug. Hebert - he ain too bright no how, he."

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Now ya'll haz got to remeber that Sister Jean livez in trout waterz up thar in th hillz! She maybe givin ya'll a NC secret recipe fer fishin ! :shock:
Anywayz, they'll work in the waterz down hare in the swamps too!

swampy

Jean

Secret recipe for Trout fishing

Bearridge and Jack, I'm a Justin Wilson fan too!

Swampy, since you know I have a secret recipe for Trout fishing, I might as well share it! Keep yourself a little packet of freeze-dried corn in your fishing tackle. When you get ready to trout fish, just take a kernel or two out of the pack and put it in your fist and swish it around in the water a minute to rehydrate, then bate your hook with the corn. :D

No ugly cans on the bank to get cut on, and spoil the view, and corn whenever you need it! :wink:

Calamity Jean

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Calamity ya haz done gone an' given them nawtherner's our secret bait fer farm grown trout! Now they iz gonna wade th' whole mountainz thnik'in they will catch 'em all! Not to mention one in particular who'll make gritz outta th' left over corn! But then ya kin sell him sum of yer maple syrup! Jest don't mention the "G" word to em.... :wink:

swampy

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Fellas,

Ya know how sometimes ya jest caint find an ole recipe? Well, I went lookin' fer the stir fried field mouse recipe, but the link inside the link dont work no more, so I set off lookin' round on Mister Gore's web. I caint find the stir fry recipe, but I did run across a field mice pie.....the oldtimey one. Whoever typed it musta fergot a big tsp of Zatarains.

FIELD MICE PIE (OLD-TIME)

12 nice plump field mice, cooked & deboned
1 qt. mixed vegetables
1 med. onion
1 qt. potatoes, cubed
1 lg. pinch salt

Cook all ingredients together and place in a casserole lined with pie dough. Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour at 375 degrees. If no field mice are available, 1 pound of pork sausage may be used.

I dont know if it iz as good as the stir fry, but here iz a good one fer visitors. See, I tole ya'll a Cajun will eat anything that dont eat him first.
068.gif

If a Cajun wuz fixin' this fer hizownself, he would put at least 2 tsp of Zatarains 'n lay low on the salt.

Bayou Blackbird Jambalaya

Ingredients

30 Blackbirds; cleaned
1 1/2 lb Pork sausage
1 lg Onion; chopped
1 lg Green pepper; chopped
1 c Chopped celery
Salt; to taste
Freshly-ground black pepper;
- to taste
4 c Water
2 c Raw rice
1 tb Chopped green onion tops
1 tb Minced parsley

Instructions:

Brown birds and sausage in a Dutch oven; cook until birds are tender.
Add onion, green pepper, and celery, and cook until onion browns slightly. Add salt and pepper to taste, then the water.
Bring to a boil and add rice; be sure there is sufficient liquid to cook rice. Cover tightly and cook for about 40 minutes. Just before serving stir in onion tops and parsley.

regards
bearridge
bodine culinary institute

A liberal is a person whose interests aren't at stake at the moment. Willis Player

Jean

Bear's Field Mice Pie - Now that's home cooking!

Bear, I sure have missed your good recipes. You are so right about adding the Zataran's. That would just make that dish complete. :)

Here is one I had in my file that you might like. Like yours, it might be helped with some Zataran's too.

Jellied Moose Nose

1 Upper jawbone of a moose
1 Onion; sliced
1 Garlic clove
1 tb Mixed pickling spice
1 ts Salt
1/2 ts Pepper
1/4 c Vinegar

1.Cut the upper jaw bone of the moose just below the
eyes.
2.Place in a large kettle of scalding water and boil
for 45 minutes.
3.Remove and chill in cold water.
4.Pull out all the hairs - these will have been
loosened by the boiling and should come out easily
(like plucking a duck).
5.Wash thoroughly until no hairs remain.
6.Place the nose in a kettle and cover with fresh water.
7.Add onion, garlic, spices and vinegar
8.Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until
the meat is tender. Let cool overnight in the
liquid.
9.When cool, take the meat out of the broth, and remove
and discard the bones and the
cartilage. You will have two kinds of meat, white
meat from the bulb of the nose, and thin strips
of dark meat from along the bones and jowls.
10.Slice the meat thinly and alternate layers of white
and dark meat in a loaf pan.
11.Reheat the broth to boiling, then pour the broth over
the meat in the loaf pan.
12.Let cool until jelly has set. Slice and serve cold.

Merry Christmas!
Jean