Which canoe | SouthernPaddler.com

Which canoe

thylton

Mar 26, 2009
Sulphur. La.
I am looking to build a canoe to use for fishing in the marshes, bayous, and small lakes in southwest louisiana and soetheast texas. I am 6' /320lbs with bad knees and am considering these designs, Sasquatch 14-30, Issaquah 14-32, Eno 13-28, and Paul Fishers Baby Raven 12-32 or Raven 14-32.
Does anyone have any comments on any of these designs or should I consider others or perhaps a pirouge. Any comments will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
thylton

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I have the Sasquatch 14 x 30 and it will take myself along with all my camping gear without any problems. I am 206 and with the camping gear and several gallon jugs or water it might be 400 pounds or so in the canoe. There is plenty of free board and maneuverability with the canoe.
I also do the same thing with a Uncle John Pirogue at 15 1/2 feet. In the pirogue I sit a lot lower then in the canoe , that might cause a problem for you when getting up with the bad knees. You do want to sit lower in a pirogue since it is narrower and the center of gravity is best when lower in the boat. The wider the boat the more stability.

The boat you would decide on is a personal choice and what you like.

Chuck.

thylton

Mar 26, 2009
Sulphur. La.
Thanks oldsparky and hairymick, am leaning toward the Sasquatch canoe. Would love a touring tv pirouge but just don't think my knees would allow it.

thylton

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
That 32 inch wide T-V you can sit up high in ,mine is the 29 inch wide and it has the seat mounted 9 inches high.
Both are good boats.
Ron

thylton

Mar 26, 2009
Sulphur. La.
Thanks Ron and Bob. looks like I'll have to give some serious thought to the Touring TV pirouge. If a seat height of 11' is doable I could probably manage that.

Tony