width and stability | SouthernPaddler.com

width and stability

Gran23

Dec 24, 2009
Hey guys quick newbie question. I am getting ready to build the Uncle John Pirogue. I am trying to decide if I want to increase the bottom wide from 27in to 31in.How big a difference in stability will 4in make? Also, if I do extend the bottom, I plan on raising the sides an extra inch.
Thanks!!!!

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Welcome, Gran23. Reallistically, stabilily is personal thing. It kind of boils down to your preference and use. If you're not really concerned about paddling long distances and plan on cruising at 3mph or less, go with the 31" bottom. More room and probably enough stabilily to stand comfortably. if standing is not on the list and room is not a big necessity, go narrower. I can promise you that any bit of tippyness you experience will lessen with use. There's no magic number for stability, speed, room, handling, etc. Short, fat boats are more stable , slower and more manuverable and long, skinny boats are more tippy, faster and a bit harder to turn.

My pirogue is close to the UJ in size and it as good an all around boat as you can get. Unless you need a cargo hauler, go with the 27"bottom ( or less).

Joey

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
joey's correct

i'd like to add that wider bottom and higher sides also mean you have to reach farther over to paddle or scoot your behind to the side of the boat.

may be ok if you're built like a basketball player, but to a short person like me, you can get too wide and too high in a hurry

24" plus or minus just a bit is pretty much a standard width because it allows you to build with two sheets of plywood

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Figure it this way , a canoe is wide , a kayak is narrow and between the two is the pirogue , not as narrow as the kayak and not as wide as the canoe. All three boats have a stability factor and it depends on which one will work for you and only you know that because you know where you will be paddling.

Personally I find the standard pirogue a good combination of all three boats for my use. Something I like to suggest when a person has a question or worry about the stability of the boat.

1. Have your seating low in the boat so the center of gravity is low , the higher it is the tipper the boat will be.
2. After the boat is made , take it to the lake and with you wearing a swim suit , get in the boat and play with it. See how far you can lean it and be comfortable with it.
3. The more you use it the more it will be comfortable for you , just like when you learned how to ride a bicycle. As Joey said ... The more you paddle it the more it becomes old hat to you.

Chuck.
( A 4th rib add additional stability to it by widening the center a shade )

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Gran23, a large part of stability is actually how predictable the hull is as it tips further and further. A flat bottomed boat will feel stable when level, and as you tip it will feel OK, then - all of a sudden - you're wet. Sides that are widely flared will help this a lot, as the footprint of the boat widens as it leans.

Only practice and use will allow you to learn where your limits are. A boat loaded with gear low on the floor will gain stability. Carry along a friend who is smart enough to be ballast, but not so smart as to cause difficulty.

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
Kayak Jack said:
Gran23, a large part of stability is actually how predictable the hull is as it tips further and further. A flat bottomed boat will feel stable when level, and as you tip it will feel OK, then - all of a sudden - you're wet. Sides that are widely flared will help this a lot, as the footprint of the boat widens as it leans.

Only practice and use will allow you to learn where your limits are. A boat loaded with gear low on the floor will gain stability. Carry along a friend who is smart enough to be ballast, but not so smart as to cause difficulty.

Hey, turn my back and Jack starts talking about me. :mrgreen:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:

So far no flat bottom boat has dumped me in the water , friends have and round bottom boats have but never a flat bottom boat in the years I have been paddling..... I'm 66 and have been in boats all my life. Heck I was paddling a canoe before learning to ride a bicycle. :wink: :wink:

Friends ... They paddle there own boat , Not in mine , I go solo and stay dry.

Gran23

Dec 24, 2009
Hey guys for the all great advice. I am going to go with the 27in bottom.I have ordered the kit and epoxy from RAKA. Can't wait to get started.