Wintry Grip | SouthernPaddler.com

Wintry Grip

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
The pleasures of living up north. :wink: The newspaper had pictures of folks , yesterday , in shorts out walking there dogs and the paper advised to clip the pictures out and send them to someone in the north.

Like John said down at Picnic Key , it is nice to walk , barefooted , in something white and not have it being snow. When he left his place he said there were 4 foot drifts that even stuck 4 wheel drive trucks. I told John not to worry , the only ice we had on the trip was in the cooler.
Yesterday while enjoying a cold brew I was sitting out on the back porch and had the fan going to cool down. Was thinking of turning on the AC but remembered the weather man saying it would cool down to around 60.

You guys keep that white stuff up there , I'll take the almost 80 days and 60 nights. :D

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
If it took only a few minutes to drive to Florida, I'd be there for lunch. As it is, it's easier to just turn up the thermostat a bit. In a few months, the advantage will reverse. Nowhere is perfect. sigh

a Bald Cypress

May 7, 2007
Northwest Louisiana
Kayak Jack said:
If it took only a few minutes to drive to Florida, I'd be there for lunch. As it is, it's easier to just turn up the thermostat a bit. In a few months, the advantage will reverse. Nowhere is perfect. sigh

Above ground and not in a box is perfect! :lol: No matter the locale.

a Bald Cypress

May 7, 2007
Northwest Louisiana
A little factoid that most do not know.

The Ox Babe was blue because he was so damn COLD from living up nort. :lol:

However, it has been a balmy 17 deg, in the morning for the last three days. Bout time for Spring to spring. :evil:

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
It was 4 below zero here this morning. I ran in the lawn sprinkler only a few minutes instead of my customary 1/2 hour.

Never did hear why Babe was blue, but he was loyal to old Paul. There was a river here in Michigan that was round. Pretty soon, all the logs they put in it filled it up, and they just went round and round, never going downstream to the mill. Well, old Paul hooked up Babe to the Round River and straightened it out, and today, it flows into Lake Huron at Oscoda - Michigan's famous Au Sable River.

An, that's the truth. Cause, over 200 years ago, Cap'n Meriwether taught me to be honest, and I have been ever since.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
acttemp_440x297.jpg

Feb 03 -11 Welcome to Florida. :lol: Windows open , fans going and picking fresh Oranges ( Navel Oranges ) off the tree for a snack. I'm located between the 73 and 69 but you have to remember it is the evening time and things do tend to get cooler then.

Next Tuesday they are saying it will be 39 in the morning , like that will ever happen :roll: .... They are just trying to keep the tourists down here from up north happy so they won't get heat stroke.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
WX warming up, getting a bit slushy. Going to 46 today. Guys drawing maple sap to make syrup are happy - freezing nights and cold days. Pretty soon, it'll be "April showers bring May flowers" time here. One local creek is forecast to flood today.

In a week and a half, I'll be wallowing in Louisiana warmth. In a couple of months, I'll be lounging on the Au Sable with other geezers (and young, Dapper Al).

In the meantime, I'll enjoy some songbirds, squirrels, deer, turkeys, a seegar, and a single malt or three. Could be a lot worse.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
In a week and a half, I'll be wallowing in Louisiana warmth.

Ha Ha Ha , It is short's and "T" Shirt weather down here and shoes are an option , bare foot rules for comfort. The windows are open and the fresh air is really nice after our bitterly cold winter , for what it was and has left us. Spring is the time frame and everyone has a spring in there step. The nice time before summer hits us and we melt. We melt in the summer and you freeze in the winter. :twisted:

The lawn mowers are going and the grass is being cut , what a nice aroma , when that happens. Then the folks with the grills are cooking all sorts of good things and it just smells so good.

You will have to readjust your whole life style when you get into the Good , Old , South where the living is easy and a pleasure. My advice is to just lay back and Go Native while you are here. :D :D :D