Wolf Creek | SouthernPaddler.com

Wolf Creek

qpassage

Took a little fishing trip this last weekend.
Fantastic fishing caught walleyes and rainbow trout. We ate fish till we couldn't eat any more.
Wolf Creek is just below the dam of Cumberland Lake in Kentucky.
Here are a few shots I thought I would share.
Foggy morning river paddle
100_5269.jpg

Fishing
100_5197.jpg

Ha at last a decent fish.
100_5277.jpg

Tasty Trout
100_5225.jpg

Still foggy at 11 am.
100_5274.jpg

Wading in.
100_5245.jpg

Name that Trout
100_5243.jpg

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Good job Q. Love that "wading in" pichur. Dam release schedule?

regards
bearridge

My Mama always said you've got to put the past behind you before you can move on. Forrest Gump

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Q.

I've been scouting out a trip to that area. Thinking of a large house boat as a mother ship, with 4-10 paddlers having their canoe or kayak aboard and let off in the morning, and rendezvous in afternoon.

Thoughts?

qpassage

bearridge
As the lake is down 90 feet or so due to repairs being made on the dam. They were not running much water, they were only running one sleuth gate an hour each morning and an hour each evening. The water would rise about 18 inches on the river but quickly receded.

Kayak Jack
Cumberland Lake is nice, but I would look closely into renting a houseboat. A 90-foot drop in the lake level really changes the size of the lake. I would highly recommend the campground near the dam. Very reasonable rates $21 a night includes water, electric, showerhouse and close to the river. I walked the campground looking for the better sights. 1 thru 41 will be closer to the river and offer more shade. I esp liked 19 and 41 if that helps. Keep in mind it is much cooler on the river than the lake. Water temps on the river rarely get above 60 degrees. The reason is the water ran in from the lake, comes off the lake bottom. Last weekend it was mid 90’s in the campground and low 80’s on the river.
This may not be of importance to you , but if you are drinking adult beverages, be sure to bring your own. Closest beer store is 65 miles from the lake. About 80% of Kentucky Counties are dry.
The trout and walleyes will be in the river. Strippers in the lake, strippers this time of year are in the deep water near the dam :wink: Spinners worked best for the trout and shad raps for walleyes. Be sure to have a trout stamp on your fishing lic. they check!
Here are a few more pictures.

Shots of the lake.
100_5238.jpg

100_5239.jpg

The long boat ramp to the lake
100_5240.jpg

Running the sleuth gate.
100_5255.jpg

Our campsite, not shown are two tents behind me.
100_5253.jpg

qp