Won Tons | SouthernPaddler.com

Won Tons

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
These won’t appeal to everybody. You can make these into soup, or eat separately. Mine sorta disappear before the soup stage.

Buy a package of won ton wrappers at the freezer/ refrigerated section of either an oriental market, or your super market. Keep them refrigerated before and after use.

Fillings can be regular breakfast sausage. I also like turkey burger, seasoned with either the Broth Powder or Basic Rub cited below. About 2-3 tsp of seasoning per pound of meat. Dice up an onion and about 3-5 cloves of garlic, and about ½ teaspoon of fresh ginger (or, about ¾ tsp of dried ginger) and mix all well into the meat.

Take one wrapper, using a pastry brush (or, fingers in camp) moisten 3 or four edges of the wrap about ½â€Â

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Matt, you'd be surprised at how many Chinese places don't "make" their food at all. Food services sell similar stuff, all packaged in a heavy duty pastic pag that heats, opens, and goes onto the serving line. The local restaurant sprinkles on some almonds or noodles.

Any restaurant I patronize has to pass four criteria:
1. Clean (ablsoute MUST)
2. Good food
3. Good service
4. Fair prices

If it's an ethnic restaurant, that folks of that ethnicity had better be the owner-operator, staffed by, and patronized by. Otherwise, I get suspicious.

BTW, next time you're in a Chinese restaurant, and want better service, say "Thank you" in Chnese, "Shay shay nee". It'll get their attention and you better service, I gawr-rhun-tee.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Jack

I go one step further............

Before I even think about going into one of those places ... I check out the dumpster behind there business ....... Ya don't even want to know what I have found, if you did then you would never go there and you can bet anything that I sure DO NOT go in there when I have found things that make me go to McDonnell's for there fat and grease meals and that is something I hate.

I have located things that anyone would not want to know about, except for folks missing there pets and even have found some illegal substances growing there..... some Mary Jane anyone.
One of the local joints had a full blown Marijuana garden on there roof, someplace no normal person would look at....... But I am not normal.

if I want something oriental then I cook it here at the house, this way I know the meat is not a persons pet or anything illegal for spices or the cooks pleasure ...

When it comes to that type of cooking I trust myself and NO ONE ELSE..........Cat chops anyone..... Meowwwwwwwwwwwww Then order out.

1. Clean
2. Good food
3. Good service
4. Fair prices ................ Ya bet ..... The pets from the neighborhood , Low over head , little sally is out looking for her cat who is swimming in the sweet sour sauce now.......... Heck , when her folks order the take out then the cat comes home.... :evil:

Jack
Get you a copy of Fried Green Tomatoes, or it might be Driving Ms. Daisy then sit back and take a look it is quite entraining or enlightening and an eye opener.

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
oldsparkey said:
I go one step further. Before I even think about going into one of those places ... I check out the dumpster behind their business ....... Ya don't even want to know what I have found, (SNIP)
THIS from the guy who, when impressing us with how much of an outdoorsman he is, sez he eats anything that walks, crawls, swims, or flies. Chuck, kitty cats walk, and eat good food to boot.

If you ask real nice, I'll tell you my recipes for house cat soup, real dog furters, and gold fish souffle. Stuffed guinea pig/ hamster is good with mint jelly.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Jack

Some place around here I have a cookbook .......... 101 ways to wok your cat or dog. :lol:
If I can find it we can swap recipes.

I have this suspicion that pup's noticed me thumbing thru it and when I put it down he hid it.
Pup's is rather clever / sneaky.

Chuck.
PS. For right now I will have to try the won ton with ground turkey and the broth powder , it does sound good.

A

Anonymous

Friend Ole Sparkey,

All yer pet talk made me hungry. Ever been ta the Road Kill Cafe? See below. I bet Ole Jack will find a way ta bag some a this stuff....."Run over Rover"? :mrgreen:

regards,

bearridge
geezer

See, the problem is that God gives men a brain and a penis, and only enough blood to run one at a time. Robin Williams

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Jack

Fur lunch today (I like to start the new Year with something different) and since the folks at the Road Kill Cafe were still hung over ...... I did your Won Tons and broth powder or power.

I was mixing the spices together when the wife walked in and it almost slapped her silly, then she took another breath and told me ..."That is some powerful stuff." What is it drain cleaner? Nope .. Just some spices for the noon experiment ... pardon me our lunch.

Had to go to the store for the won tons and 2 of the spices. But I used ground pork in place of the turkey. To get rid of some of the fat I pre cooked it and then added the diced onion and garlic , a little sage , salt & pepper. When it was about 2/3 done off went the burner and I started packing those won tons. That is a trick unto itself but after you do a few it gets easier.
Steamed them for about 12 minutes and when done then dropped them in a soup bowl and added some really hot French Onion soup ..........

Ya know they are rather tasty and I have a bunch of the power ....OOOP's... Broth Powder mix left over for seasoning anything else.
I'm a thinking some of it mixed in with eggs would be quite good. :D

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Good for you, Chuck. I never thought of adding them to onion soup. Could be done in camp! JARVIS good eatin!

I used the 2 lb of ground turkey, split into two batches with two different spice mixes. Had some SEASONED turkey left. Have had fried turkey sausage for breakfast the last couple of mornings. Not too shabby!

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Jack or Kahuna

I want to ask a question.......... This is one of those What If Questions.

What if a person would take some hamburger, cook it up with onions & garlic, salt & pepper and your spice mix. You could even use some chili powder or hot sauce.
Let it cool then take a won ton and add a large spoon full of it in the center of one of them. Now add some spicy tomato sauce and a little cheese. Just some not a lot ......

When this is done take the 2nd won ton and put it on the top and seal it. Get several of then ready and then steam them, after steaming put them on a plate and add the remining tomato sauce and cheese over them with what ever spices you like.
Or let them swim in some Campbell's Tomato soup to stay warm while the rest are steamed then when serving them add the cheese. That would make one good soup. :D

I know it is called Ravioli but the stuff in the cans stinks.................. I would lot rather have fresh home made ones.

Have you ever tried it :?:
I am just thinking about how to do things out in the woods when camping and have something good to eat and simple to make.
I will bet there would not be any left overs. :lol:
Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
oldsparkey said:
(SNIP) What if a person would take some hamburger, cook it up with onions & garlic, salt & pepper and your spice mix. You could even use some chili powder or hot sauce.

Let it cool then take a won ton and add a large spoon full of it in the center of one of them. Now add some spicy tomato sauce and a little cheese. Just some not a lot.

When this is done take the 2nd won ton and put it on the top and seal it. Get several of then ready and then steam them, after steaming put them on a plate and add the remining tomato sauce and cheese over them with what ever spices you like. Or let them swim in some Campbell's Tomato soup to stay warm while the rest are steamed then when serving them add the cheese. That would make one good soup. (SNIP)
Before the experts jump in, I'll sound off.

Most cultures have "tasty little sandwiches" of some kind. Won ton, spring rolls, pierogie, pastys, ravioli, tortillas, etc. etc. The variety is nearly endless - and they're all good.

Trying to handle these won ton covers with all that stuff will be a juggling act. I'd try taking two, wetting three edges and placing them together to form an open-mouthed little sack. Then dump in the goodies, wet the fourth edge, and seal it.

When you steam them, be sure to apply some oil to the steamer basket first. Otherwise, they stick to the surface and tear up some. Once they're made, (if they don't get snitched first), putting them into soup is a natural. Onion, chicken, tomatoe, etc.e tc.

I'va also been toying with the idea of frying sausage in link form, rolling it in dumpling dough, and cooking the dumpings either in soup or boiling water lightly salted.

DANG! Made myself hungry again. Where IS that cat?

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
I'va also been toying with the idea of frying sausage in link form, rolling it in dumpling dough, and cooking the dumpings either in soup or boiling water lightly salted.

We do that down here..... :D They are called Pigs in a Blanket and are quite good. If you want to after they are cooked and before coating them slice them down the center and add some pepper jack cheese and a splash of hot sauce.... Then put them in there blankets and bake them. There won't be any leftovers.

Most of the time they are just rolled up in some biscuit dough and baked. But you could roll them in just about anything , even a pancake batter. Better yet just do it like the Dutch Boy Pancake in the bakepacker and have the center filled with them.

Put 1/2 of the batter in the bag then the sausage links ... then add the rest of the batter and cook for 15 minutes ..... a really thick pancake with the links filling the center. Some good syrup or honey over it and what a breakfast or snack.

Hell , we have just created....... Pigs In a Pen ........ forget the blanket. :lol:
Now you have me wanting to try it................ :p

The bakepacker is a good oven to use for this when out camping.

After all cooking is nothing more then some good taste and imagination. :p

Aardvark

Back to dogs and cats and restaturants...

Went TDY to Turkey a couple three times when in Uncles Flying Club. Used to love the Kebabs until I noticed the lack of strays around (in other sections of town there were plenty)

Cooincidence?

Might be!

I didn't eat anymore Kebabs!

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Art,

The same flying club sent me TDY to Taiwan - beats Turkey hands down. I learned to enjoy Mongolian Bar-B-Que there. I also learned to pick my cab drivers carefully, stay out of alleys, and to not inventory the local fauna. These three attributes alone made eating a lot better. Over a beer, sometime, I'll tell you about some of the people I met there.

I'd learned these techniques in Saigon. I also carried a firearm there. In town, it was a Colt .25 automatic. I used it to teach English to cab drivers. They had a nasty habit of pretending they didn't understand English, then trying to take you outside of town and sell you to the Charlies. You know, when I pulled the slide back & let it go forward, they learned English in that 1/4 second? Ain't I a good instructor!

JEM

The Flying Club took me to a couple places.

One was the Azor Islands where I sampled a local dish. My veins about slammed shut. Sausage, eggs, more sausage, ham, some sort of gravy, and other stuff I can't recall...all layered in a bowl. That was one greeeeaaaazy breakfast.

Luckily, during the times I was in the Flying Club (right after the 1st time in Iraq), I didn't see combat except for one hop over the pond to a hot area. There was known to be a sniper in the area we landed, in a KC-10 which is a giant flying gas station. But they generously gave us M9s and a marine with a M16 to defend us. :shock: yea that would have helped if it got ugly. :roll:

Now you want some good eats, go to Hawaii, get "stuck" there for 7 days because you receivers are broke in Guam, meet a local girl, and have her to take you to the non-commericialized parts.

Never mind what else happened with the local girl. :p

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
JEM said:
(SNIP) Now you want some good eats, go to Hawaii, get "stuck" there for 7 days because you receivers are broke in Guam, meet a local girl, and have her to take you to the non-commericialized parts.

Never mind what else happened with the local girl. :p
Were you following me in Taiwan?

Kahuna

Aug 27, 2003
DEEP SOUTHERN ILLINOIS
What if??

Chuck It'll work. DO whatever "floats your boat". :lol:
Here's another tip. An Oriental friend of ours many years ago taught me this easy method of making steamed filled Dim sum. Buy a can of rerigerator bisquits. take a bisquit and flaten into a small circle. In the middle add your filling of choice. Crimp and seal at top. Steam until cooked. Kahuna
oldsparkey said:
Jack or Kahuna

I want to ask a question.......... This is one of those What If Questions.

What if a person would take some hamburger, cook it up with onions & garlic, salt & pepper and your spice mix. You could even use some chili powder or hot sauce.
Let it cool then take a won ton and add a large spoon full of it in the center of one of them. Now add some spicy tomato sauce and a little cheese. Just some not a lot ......

When this is done take the 2nd won ton and put it on the top and seal it. Get several of then ready and then steam them, after steaming put them on a plate and add the remining tomato sauce and cheese over them with what ever spices you like.
Or let them swim in some Campbell's Tomato soup to stay warm while the rest are steamed then when serving them add the cheese. That would make one good soup. :D

I know it is called Ravioli but the stuff in the cans stinks.................. I would lot rather have fresh home made ones.

Have you ever tried it :?:
I am just thinking about how to do things out in the woods when camping and have something good to eat and simple to make.
I will bet there would not be any left overs. :lol:
Chuck.

Kahuna

Aug 27, 2003
DEEP SOUTHERN ILLINOIS
Famous for Nuthin......

Along time back...about 30 years ago there was this roadside b-bq joint around here called "Dads Famous for Nothin" B-BQ. I never ate there but some friends and cousins of mine swore it was the best they ever ate. Place got closed down. They were B-BQing dogs...I kid you not. I later asked my cousins and friends what they thought. They said "Still the best Q we ever ate." :lol: Kahuna
oldsparkey said:
Jack

I go one step further............