Wood boat tryout | SouthernPaddler.com

Wood boat tryout

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
I meet another designer builder a few weeks ago
Well yesterday he came down brought a couple of his boats Gerald builds some nice ones
One was a flat bottom similar to the Freedom and the other was a strip built marathon boat 19 fter
I got to paddle all three yaks side by side
My boat is overbuilt because it was built for the 400 mile trip down the Brazos
His schr 16 was fast light and the marathon boat would fly ( I didn;t turtle :lol: ) My Freedom was just a shade slower but more stable still in the ballpark Really enjoyed the day playing with the different styles
When got home unloaded the Freedom smiled patted her for me shes still the boat makes me feel good to own one that will meet my own criteria and I built ( with Matts Help :lol: )
Ron

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
There is nothing as nice as paddling the one you made the way you wanted it , others are out there and today and we do have a choice. Something that was not there just a few years ago.

This might be the reason why most builders don't have just one wood boat. You can build them save a lot of $$$$$ and have more fun then anyone.

Think of what it would of cost you to go downtown and purchase the one you have , providing you could have it customized the way you want it.

I will build mine , there are a lot of memories , myself and my friends help in it and for me that makes it priceless. I have people asking me to make one for them and I tell them ... No Way... You make it and I will help you. If you have a problem I know where there are several hundred of good folks that will help and hand then one of my southernpaddler cards. :D

We don't make our boats all by ourselves , we have help , support , and sometimes with a little cutting of the fool thrown in to make a grin and lessen the problem.

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
oldsparkey said:
... We don't make our boats all by ourselves , we have help , support , and sometimes with a little cutting of the fool thrown in to make a grin and lessen the problem.
I'm constantly amazed how the flow of advice comes from all around our world. What a helluva a group that has assembled here. (Some aren't very handsome, but good guys nonetheless.)

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Chuck
I know just what you are talking about I have really enjoyed this forum
and the information and BS
This guy is a really good builder has built over 50 boats , so it felt good being able to look at mine and still be pleased with it.

And tell me about the adiction of boat building I have three boats I am behind on right now.
2 for granddaughters and another for me .
Ron

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
tx river rat said:
Chuck
tell me about the adiction of boat building I have three boats I am behind on right now.
2 for granddaughters and another for me .
Ron

:lol: :lol: :lol: It is not an addiction , it is an OBSESSION , just like Capt Ahab after Moby Dick "The Great White Whale".

Or the little dog pulling that little red wagon where the kid in the wagon has a hot dog dangling on a string in front of the dog. There is always one more to make. :D

Now for the bad news , there is no cure for it besides paddling the one you just made and then the others to see what the difference is between them and thinking about the next one and what to change. Now I will not even go anywhere about family members or friends that want one.

I do know of one person who made enough of them to fill a garage so he would have them as Christmas presents for his kids , nieces and nephews since all of them wanted his boat.

Chuck.