Wood fired camp stove | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

Wood fired camp stove

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
Looks like my griddle too except two of those fillet are a little small for evening meal for two. Maybe your not sharing and the camp mate has the rest of evening plate?

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
I've sampled many a box o port but never walked away the next morn on a trip farther than the water jug then the head.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day Ozzie,

Mate, I am happy to share everything I have - except my lovely wife. :D

Those fillets were about a pound each and were just the start of the meal. :D

My mate Kris, who had never eaten fish like that before reckons it was the best he has ever had. Fresh Aussie bass, rolled in flour -lightly salted and cooked in olive oil. With a sprinkle of fresh lime juice on top. :D - and lots of ice cold beer to wash it down. :D

(Dehydration is a dangerous thing ya know :p )

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
Your griddle must be larger than the picture indicates. Forgive me as I thought you could eat more than what I perceived as a griddle half full of fish.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Nothing to forgive mate. :D Griddle is a little big for most of my purposes but it is what I have, so I use it.

I really like the looks of your little stove and will start making something similar very soon.

Mike, Can you post a link to your Bibbulmun track please. I have neaver heard of it.

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
Tell me about your new I guess I'll call it the logo. The blue cross with stars tell me the meaning of this just curious no worry.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day Ozzie,

The stars on the blue background are our Eureka Flag. Many would argue that it is the true Australian Flag and I am one of them.

The stars represent the Southern Cross, A constellation of stars visible from the Southern hemisphere and sacred to the heart of many Australians.

The Eureka Flag was the first flag of this country that Australians swore allegance to as opposed to the hated British Union Jack.

We fought no War of Independence but were rapidly approaching it. I think the Brits might have decided that the arse kicking you guys gave them was quite enough for their taste.

Here is a link you might find interesting. BTW, It would seem to be not very well known but the leader of the rebellion, Peter Lalor was an American :D

http://www.cultureandrecreation.gov.au/ ... astockade/

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Mike, I like your re-engineering of the Nimblewill Nomad stove so you can use it in several applications. I admire ingenuity. That 960 km trek was a real hauler! Did you have food stashed along the way? Or, maybe, sent to post offices ahead?

My hiking days are over, and I paddle with camp gear now. You are more extreme in weight and simplicity than me, but we share a philosophy of simple, cold breakfasts and lunch whilst on the move. Another thing I've given up (not reluctantly) is canned (or foil packed) tuna or salmon. UGH! It's edible, but not palatable to me.

We can get dried cherries here, and they are a lot better to me than dried cranberries. Much tastier. Another thing I like is dry roasted peanuts. Damned red squirrels like them too, unfortunately. So I added a large rat trap (Victor, on a wooden base about 4" X 9") to my gear. Looking for recipes for squirrel pie now. :lol:

I make my own jerky and buy some. Store bought jerky brand of Jack Links are very good. (Mine's better, but time intensive)

Dehydrated tomato paste with seasonings separate (powdered garlic, sweet basil, oregano) and pasta are always a welcome meal at my fireside. JARVIS good eatin'!

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Reading the Eureka rebellion site - that sounds so bloody Aussie! Give'em hell! (oh, and pass the beer, mate.)

A true highlight of my year in Nam was meeting a gaggle of Aussies at Vung Tau. Almost didn't make it out alive. Didn't make it out sober, fer sure.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
If you take your time and do some looking around in the grocery store you can come up with some good meals for camping.

There is a wide line of dehydrated items and with some mixing and matching have a filling and satisfying meal. You only have to figure out what you want to have , then get the items and repack them in Zip Locks for the individual meals. Make sure you list the preparation steps on the outside of the bag.

One that I like when paddling is some of the dried beans ( I use black eyed peas) , rice , onion flakes , a little salt and pepper when heating it up. At the start in the morning put the beans , rice , onion flakes , and anything else you like in a Nalgene Bottle , add water and let it roll around in the bottom of the boat till you hit camp.
( It's really good with the Black Eye peas , onion , a little celery and a few snap beans , young Green beans , rice and the ham.) You can use a couple of ham bullion cubes in place of the ham , They are in the Hispanic section at the grocery store.

Put it in a pot , add a can of ham ( like the ones tuna comes in ) and have what we call Hopping John for supper. Ham , beans , rice and onions. Really good with some corn bread. or forget the ham and have it as a side dish with some fresh fish , right out of the river.

Another one is a pack of turkey , Stove top dressing and a pack of the dehydrated gravy. Cook the stuffing , add the gravy with some more water and the turkey , mix all together and have a turkey, stuffing hash.

All it takes is some imagination to make some good meals. Or go to Adventure Foods and get it from Ms.Jean and Sam.

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Chuck is right. In the last few years, many aisles of a normal grocery store offer lotsa meals that are readily adaptable to our camping styles. Bulk food aisles are a good place to look, and the "ready to eat" meals like Lipton's are another. Other stores, health food types, offer other options. I find that, in almost all of these, high sodium is a consideration.

Mz Jean's Adventure Foods http://www.adventurefoods.com/afsearch. excels in not only easy to fix and joy to eat foods, but healthy to boot.

I like to go spartan for breakfast and lunch, and get decadent as all hell at supper time.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
I like to go spartan for breakfast and lunch, and get decadent as all hell at supper time.

Jack's not joking , at Outhouse Key when I cooked 3 pounds of shrimp and 1. 1/2 pound's of bay scallops for supper.

GLADES%20034.jpg

Ha made them vanish and poor ole Mac , oldyaker and myself had to have crackers with rotten little canned fish and kayak Jack power bars for supper. :lol:

All Joking aside .... Supper is always the main meal when we are out camping and paddling , the camp is set up , the firewood gathered and the drinks are in the glasses , everyone is tossing the BS around so now it is time for a good filling meal. :D

Chuck.

Manjimike

Jun 18, 2007
Manjimup, West Australia
Kayak Jack said:
Did you have food stashed along the way? Or, maybe, sent to post offices ahead?

Damned red squirrels like them too, unfortunately. So I added a large rat trap (Victor, on a wooden base about 4" X 9") to my gear. I make my own jerky.

Dehydrated tomato paste
G'day Jack,
I dropped some along the way to the midpoint where I left my car with friends and posted the rest forward and caught a bus to the trailhead.

I kept my food in freezer bagsfor each day, then put 5days into Odour-proof Aloksacks, that way the possums didn't go near it -
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin ... _5x20.html

I guess our tomato paste concentrate is the same, I put 1 with my spag bol meals

Cheers Mike

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
I may have to get some of those. I seal my food in Tilia food saver bags in a vacuum. Red squirrels would drill right through a nylon stuff bag straight into the peanuts in a hermetically sealed plastic bag of mixed jerky, cherries, & peanuts.

Charlie had told me they could smell peanuts through the bag, & I didn't believe him. Aye god - he's right!