Woodgate/Theodolite Creek - again | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

Woodgate/Theodolite Creek - again

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Anybody who has ever had the mis-fortune to use an overhead casting reel from the beach and casting into the wind can attest to what a bitch they are in these conditions. (even the very good reels) never mind the hours spent in stripping the bloody things down and cleaning them after a trip.

with an Alvey, you simply bring it home, hose it off (if you feel like it) and put it away. :D Occasionally, you need to undo the centre nut (by hand), slip the spool off and wipe the sand out with an old rag. Aply a bit of axle or bearing grease or any other lubricant that happens to be handy at the time and slip it back together. 5 minutes - max. :D There is nothing in them to corrode, no gears or flash drag to worry about - nothing. :D if by chance you forget to lube the axle for a few years and it starts to get stiff to wind while fishing, just dip it in the water and give it a few spins. :D

I just don't understand why they are not more popular, particularly with beach fishermen.

There is an argument by some that they are not sporting - to just have a direct wind reel and to just wind the fish in. This is BS IMHO. What is unsporting about playing out a solid fish on light line without the aid of high teck drag, relying completely on the skill and reflexes of the angler?

cctyer

Apr 20, 2007
Short Shorts, Arkansas
Mick, Thanks for all the info! You even qouated yourself. That's cool. I will look into these reels more and see if it's something I might want to use. I think we are alike in our passion for fishing no matter what gear we are using! To that I say CHEERS my friend and happy fishing :wink:

Chad