Ya got milk? | SouthernPaddler.com

Ya got milk?

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Southeastern North Carolina
Commadore had with him on his trip boxes of milk. Small sized and did NOT need refrigeration! You do need it after opening it , if any left over. Taste was as good as 'real' milk, and better than powdered milk. Comes in Vitamin D and 2% flavors. Recon it's soybean, but it's great on cereals and oatmeal and such.
The meals that have "self" heating within them are fast and good tasting on the trail.

Fresh eggs will keep for a week in cool weather. I use the small one dozen plastic box to carry them in.

De-hydrated foods are a god sent to carry. Light weight, and most only need either to be boiled in a pot of hot water or just add hot water to the package and let stand for a couple of minutes before eating. Both casaroles and deserts are available in packs.

Floured tortillas are great for trips and many a combination sandwitch is made from them. Kept dry they last a long time.

Pre-fry up ground beaf and freeze the package in a zip lock bag for the trail. That should last for up to a week before using. Mix spices when heating up. KT fried and froze a qt size worth and packed a bag of spices in a seperate bag. AT camp, Chuck added water and the spice to the ground beef. A'la chile! Good , hot food on a cool night. (She told me when I got home that I had forgotten the tomatoe juice for the chile... I told her we ddn't need it at all and that the taste came through without the mess!

Just some thoughts for anyone who wants to pack fast and be full in camp..
swampy

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I would take a Floured tortillas and dropped in several large spoons (4 or 5) of the chili then roll the tortilla up to form a log and BOY it was GOOD.

The chili was really thick which made it even better. By the way if you fold over the one end you won't have that much of the filling falling in your lap when you take a bite. :D
Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Dried hamburg: Buy really low-fat hamburg. Fry it up & crumble it well. Drain as much fat as possible. Put into a colandar and run hot water over it to wash off all fat. Dry on paper towels. Dehydrate until it looks like Grape Nuts cereal. Pack in a ziplock, rehydrate at time of use. Add spices.

Tomato juice for chilli/ spaghettti sauce: Buy tomatoe paste, dehydrate on plastic wrap to make fruit leather. Pack in ziplock & rehydrate on use. Add spices.

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Southeastern North Carolina
Great idea! I gotta get a better de-hydrator.... and one of the small vacume pumps.... At this rate , I've got to live to 150 years to enjoy everything here!

swampy

( Are you saying you want to be as old as Jack :?: ...Chuck. :lol: :lol: )