Yaking | SouthernPaddler.com

Yaking

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Got a question and it's just because I am nosey.
How many years ya'll been yaking and how many miles you figured you have paddled.
Ron

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Ron,

I reckon I paddled near bout 50-75 miles in a kayak. Started bout 15 years ago.

regards
bearridge

Remember, FDA employees are serious about fear. We pay these people to panic about an iota of rodent hair in our chili, even when the recipe calls for it. FDA employees are first-class agonizers, world champions at losing sleep. When Meryl Streep got hysterical about Alar, they actually checked the apples instead of Meryl's head. P. J. O'Rourke

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I have been yaking for a long time and even my parents could not shut me up. :lol:

As far as paddling a canoe or a kayak , I started at a really young age ( 2 or 3 ) in a Old Town canvas and wood canoe with Dad and graduated to other canoes over my life time.

Been playing in kayaks since the age of 13 ( When I made my 1st one ) and I have no idea of the miles I have paddled a kayak or canoe but I can guarantee it has been a lot of them over the last 60 years from the 1st time I stepped in a canoe with Dad.

Chuck.
PS. I had a canoe before I had a bicycle , you can't fish out of a bicycle and they don't float worth a dang.

PSSTT - Texas River Rat - ask him when his parents let him start playing with tidal charts. Jack here, paddling AGAINST the tide

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Don't have a clue Ron.....Myn yaks have alot more miles on them on top the truck roof than I have paddled them.

A couple of months ago, I paddled a 100 miles one day, on the map it was only seven miles. Some damn cracker was reading the tide charts.....he don't know what in and out is.... :shock:

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
.... and we ain't EVER gonna let that Cracker fergit it, are we!! Just wait'll Miji.

"No, Chuck, that track there (measuring 15" long X 8" wide with small, long indentations on the front end) is a beaver track. Those big piles (measuring about 2' across) are where he coughs up excess wood chips. Haven't been any bear around here in forty odd year."

Yakus Ancienticus adds, "Here, Chuckie, let me add some more honey to your hammock fly. Indians always did that for good luck."

( Fair deal , then I get to put bacon drippings in your shorts..."O" I found a tide chart for Miji , they said there is no tide there....Chuck)

Heya Chucky, - Need some-one ta watch ya back here mate? :D ..hairy

dangermouse01

Sep 8, 2006
Palm Bay, FL (East coast)
Built my first kayak way back in 2002-2003.
Started keeping track of my mileage in 2004. I just about always bring my GPS along to keep track of my miles. Started keeping an excel log on the computer of the day, the miles, where I was, who I was with. The excel log is written so that it keeps a running total for the year, and also a running total since I started keeping track.
2004- 291 miles
2005- 322 miles
2006- 281 miles
2007- 72 miles (I am about 100 miles behind where I usually am at this time for the other years, but 32 miles from the 1000 mile mark)

DM

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
hairymick said:
Been paddlin all my life. started out on surfboards, progressed to skis, then to canoes then to yaks & pirogues, heading back to canoes.

No idea of mileage

Mileage does not matter to me if it was just a paddle till you get there or for the long run , Not for me , I want to enjoy life , smell the flowers , and move on. Anyway this is my way of doing it for all of my life. I could really care less about the distance .
I enjoyed the trip , the friendship of anyone along on the trip and if doing it solo then it is just as much fun for me , sometimes even more fun doing it solo , have always been that way and will stay that way.

The water under the boat is a pleasant memory and looking forward to new water makes it even more fun. If I want to count miles then it will be the disgusting ones to get there and back home.

The river or water miles are the fun ones to enjoy and not count unless they are for reaching your campsite so you have an idea of where it is , then something to be forgotten. The companionship of fellow paddlers and the good times out weight the miles you have paddled to have that fun , be they a mile or 80.

Start putting limations on things and the fun goes down the drain.... I can see it now ...... Ya Bum's , we were suppose to paddle 20 miles today not 12...... That creates some bad feelings , paddle till everyone wants to camp , or camp sooner and have a good supper to have a happy crew.

Forget the miles ... Look at the fun side of paddling , that is why we do it......... Ya want stress then stay at work.
Short distances and easy times are a lot more fun and sure gets rid of any stress.

Want to pile up miles then enter a race and run yourself into denile of personal pleasures and create personal exhaustion. Anyone can do it but for the love of God I don't see why.

All I can say is I have a lot of miles under the boat or boats and I have no idea what the total of them are but it would be a damn good amount from the last 60 or so years.

By the way .... All of them have been some good fun , never had a bad one , even the worse ones were good times. :D

Now remember this , I grew up in a canoe , paddled one all of my life , then when working with the Sheriffs Office for 27 years , 8 of them were on the Range and Water unit and I was in boats or a Jeep , everything from a 21 foot inboard on the large lakes and rivers to a canoe or kayak in the side streams and a 500 H.P. air boat on the really skinny waters that would do over 130MPH ,that was 6 days a week. , every week for 8 years.

For recreation (vacation or a few days off ) I was in either a canoe or kayak out camping on my own....... The only place to get away from everything and really enjoy life.

There is nothing better then sitting on a river bank , supper cooking , camp set up and then hitting the sack and enjoying the night life as you relax in a dream world of Owls and all the critters under the stars. Well I take that back , a nice rain on the hammock or tent sure does put you into dreamland and that fresh cool air from the rain .........:D

Chuck.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Thanks for the replies
Chuck I agree with you whole heartedly, enjoy every day and every experience long as we are still walking its a good day. I think I miss worded this in a way the years experience is really what I was curious about.
I have had bass boats canoes john boats still have an airboat I built hull out of .096 alum sheets I even carved the prop for it.I like to build.
My first boat was a hood boat . My dad was a welder he took two 40 ford car hoods butted them together welded them then sealed a square gas tank strapped it in middle for seat and floatation gigged a lot of frogs from that boat.
Ron

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Fresh frog leg's ...fried up in a cast iron skillet ....... I just had supper and you are getting me hungry. Man could I ever do some damage to a big pile of them. :oops:

Chuck.
PS. I have always been someone that like the simple , but down right tasty , pleasures in life.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
oldsparkey said:
Man could I ever do some damage to a big pile of them. :oops:Chuck.
PS. I have always been someone that like the simple , but down right tasty , pleasures in life.

Chuckles....who in the hell are you kidding? You would do damage to a big pile of monkey turds if someone garnished them with a banana slices! :shock:

Jack.....I figured out the tide chart problem....Our leader, Chuckles
(AKA:Snuffy Smith), didn't take off his shoes and socks to use his toes for ciphering the tide tables. Common Cracker practice..... :roll:

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
Tx Rat for me I haven,t been paddling but for about two years in a canoe. Bought a used old town guide 14.7 . Was like new , changed one seat to a web seat. For what time I have been in it maybe have 50 to 100 miles in it , have enjoyed every moment.

I agree with Chuck & some of the others. For some one that hasn,t been yaking or canoeing on a stream there is something definatly different about it . ( solitude & tranquilaty) :D

Chuck I agree with you about taking your time if you don,t have to be in a rush. As far as the health thing we all better enjoy every moment of life with loved ones,friends & geezers. (Yes you to Yak) :wink:

It don,t take long to get down in bed with things like cancer, etc. I,m thankful for my health , my familys & everything the good lord has given me.

As we all get older it is harder to get out of bed of a morning ,walk & do other things . We complain about the little things of life or take them for granite.

Like I have said before look down the road @ your neighbor he may be having a worse day. He may not have legs to walk on, the food on the table , clothes on his back.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Yeah Chucky, Miles don't mean anything to me either unless I am in a hurry to get somewhere. (very rare) I do love a fast canoe/kayak though. Easy paddling :D

I don't know what it is like over there, but here, paddlers - be they canoers,kayakers or sea kayakers seem to be a breed apart. We seem to be less intent on destroying the places we go to and seem to find the little things to get joy from and to talk about at the camp site, like " Did you see that such and such bird back there?"

Have you ever heard a stink boater talking about these things. I haven't.
Another thing, most kayak or canoe fishermen I know seem to be more content to just take what they need. They don't seem to have an overwhelming desire to fill the ice box every time they go out. I release most of my fish unharmed. (sure hope no peta guys read this) :D yeah, we got them here too. :x

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Power boaters think in terms of destination. Paddlers think in terms of journey. My late wife would rev that 70 horse outboard & hit some fishing spots - then sit and watch a bobber. That's about as exciting to me as watching paint drying.

I'd paddle up to her anchored boat and slam my hand o the side. She'd jump about three feet and question my family ancestry. Asked (TOLD) me to stop that. So, next time I came sliding in and placed the bow of the kayak right over her bobber before she knew I was there.

Kayaks are stealth boats; they're meant for hunting.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
catfish said:
Like I have said before look down the road @ your neighbor he may be having a worse day. He may not have legs to walk on, the food on the table , clothes on his back.
Friend catfish,

Then he needs a kayak. Everbody haz food on the table these days....less they caint find their way ta the welfare line. It got so bad the feel guilty folks had ta quit lyin'.......caint say "starvin'" no more. They come up with "food insecure". I reckon they feel guilty over that too. :? :? :? Teach a fella ta fish instead of givin' him a fish........

If a fella needs some white, 1959 t-shirts, I know who ta call. :roll: :mrgreen: :roll:

regards
bearridge

Woodrow Call: That was a dang stupid thing to do--bringing that old sign along--you'll have us the laughing stock of the whole country--with that--we don't rent pigs part.
Gus McCrae: Well, we don't rent pigs. I figured it's better to say it right up front--'cause a man that does like to rent pigs is--is hard to stop.
Woodrow Call: If that ain't bad enough you got all those Greek words on there too--
Gus McCrae: I told you Woodrow a long time ago it ain't Greek -- it's Latin.
Woodrow Call: What does it say in Latin?
Gus McCrae: Well, it's a motto--it just says itself -uva uvam vivendo varia fit....
Woodrow Call: You don't have any idea what it says--you found that in some old book or something-- for all you know it invites people to rob us.
Gus McCrae: Well, the first man that comes along that reads Latin is welcome to rob us as far as I'm concerned. I'd like the chance to shoot at an educated man once in my life.