You Never Know .. Or something I never thought I would see. | SouthernPaddler.com

You Never Know .. Or something I never thought I would see.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Matt sent this to me and asked for a favor........ Something I find hard to refuse. :D
===========================================================
Chuck,

If you find the time, write a Swamp Girl review for me at http://www.paddling.net/Reviews/addRevi ... prod=Canoe.

That'll help spread the word. I'm going to advertise with Paddling.net once I get a few more designs and hopefully some more pictures from builders soon.

=============================================================
I sent this back to him..............

Matt

A short history lesson.....

They asked for this article which we did. Then we sent it to them and they said it was to long, we redid it and then it was to short, then we ended up with it this way and it was still wrong.

They kept stalling and stalling and stalling then they did an article about building wood boats and called the folks that make wood boats Wood Butchers. The did several articles whit that idea.
I got pissed and that is what caused southernpaddler to be here .... A place where you can express your thought and not get a run around like they do on Paddlernet.  Yes, we had a lot or e-mails between us and Jack even had breakfast with them one day trying to find out what was wrong.  I told Jack it was simple they sell and have sponsors that make and sell the Tupperware boats.

Now lets see what they do with the review of the Swamp Girl. This will be interesting.

Here is the article and it was the 1st thing posted on S.P. The two at the bottom of the Canoe Section.

http://www.neilbank.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=12&sid=65f31623d5069bf1832d92d628368839

http://www.neilbank.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=11&sid=65f31623d5069bf1832d92d628368839  

Chuck.
=============================================================

Matt said to forget it but I like a challenge .........Soooooo I did it and consorted with the enemy (even had to sign on the web site) but to help a friend anything goes.
Lordy the folks that called Jack, Andy and myself WOOD BUTCHERS actually printed it on there web site.

http://www.paddling.net/Reviews/showRev ... ?prod=1362
===============================================

Here it is .........

Reviews for Swamp Girl by Jem Watercraft Submitted by:

Chuck
06-24-2004
     Since I enjoy making my own boats and paddling them I contacted Matt at JEM Watercraft about designing a different type of a boat for me. Which he did and it is a cross between a Kayak, Canoe and Pirogue. We named the boat Swamp Girl after an ole time song about the swamps that I like. The Swamp Girl is easy to make requiring an average knowledge about building wood boat's using the stitch and glue method. I have built six boats (a kayak, canoe and pirogues) previously using this method.

The Swamp Girl when done was tested out on a local lake and it paddled like a dream, very shallow draft and really responsive to the canoe paddle. For a lot more speed I tried a kayak paddle and we really scooted along. The thought going thru my mind was how will it be with a weeks worth of camping gear in it and that test was coming up real soon on the St.Mary's River between Florida and Georgia.

Arriving at the St.Marys River and getting on the water with a fully loaded Swamp Girl was a pleasure. She handled the load like it was not there, paddling down River I crossed sand bars that some of the other boats would get hung up on and had the same luck with trees which were blown down across the river. A couple of the guy's that were on this trip also tried paddling her and all they could say was "What a Boat" they liked the way she handles as much or more then I do. They were paddling some boats that were not as responsive to the paddle.

She is 15 1/2 feet with a 32 inch beam giving her 13.4 feet of waterline and the way I made her she is under 40 pounds (36 pounds). This also makes her a great boat to car top and then carry back into the smaller lakes that no one fishes, but only if you like catching fish.
Rating: 10 of 10

Naturally they left out the web addresses for Matt at JEM Watercraft and the Southernpaddler one. :lol: :lol: :lol:

But they printed it. :D Something I thought they would NEVER do , This is WHY it is in the BRAGGING SECTION........... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jack ,Finally .... Wood Butchers 1.... Tupperware boats 0 ....... This is SWEET. Did you ever think you would see it and all it took was an ole fart that never would ( or is that Wood) not quit. :lol: :lol:

Chuck.

JEM

Thanks once again Chuck.

Funny......like I told Chuck....SP was born out of spite! :lol:

( We are here to let anyone speak the truth , something they did not want to do..... Actully we are here because I got Pi$%&# Off with them....& any idiot can have a web site .... Here is the proof... :lol: :lol: :lol: Chuck. )

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
RE:paddler.net

Well, Chuckey, maybe Festus and Janet Reno aren't with the kids any more. But, I see their article about "What Material" - the one that started it all - is still there. It still asks "Plastic, Fiberglass, or Metal" only.

Pay no atention to the old man behind the screen - these two kids still haven't learned. They appear to be serving economic interests primarily, and truth is still a victim. Let's me appreciate this crew all the more.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Oldtimer.....

It is real simple .... When a web site will not print what they asked you for because it does not agree with there policy and you have a daughter in collage studying computers (digital art) and her boy friend designs web sites .... :wink: .... The rest is history and we are having fun with it.

My question to Jack at that time was ..... Why did they ask us for it if they just want to play games? Anyway on here a person can admit they like the plastic boats even though we are (almost) a wood boat web site.
The way I see it they both paddle the same water ..... one is just better looking.... :roll:

We don't have any sponsors to worry about, so we can say what we think about a product and as you know I am ( Sure ) not chasing the almighty dollar..... it would be nice to have a few .. don't get me wrong on that. :D

Chuck.
Have you visited our gift shop at http://www.southernpaddler.com/ :?:

Oldtimer

Jan 21, 2004
Mis'sipy Delta--Temporarily
Yessir,

That's one of the reasons I keep coming back......

Anyway on here a person can admit they like the plastic boats even though we are (almost) a wood boat web site. The way I see it they both paddle the same water...

As I recollect the name of the Website is SouthernPADDLER.com, not WoodBoats.com. AND, the 'Southern' is optional. :D I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't more "talk" here on trips, places, equipment, camping, food, and plain, old-fashioned, fun BS, etc., than there is about actually building wooden boats. Tips, hints, advice, and opinions cover a broad spectrum of the outdoor water experience. Particularly, it seems, for at least one of us who won't go venturing unless it's raining. :wink: Did I say that? :shock:

Oldtimer

kc4zvw

Oct 26, 2003
Chuluota, Florida
www.billsbrough.org
As I recollect the name of the Website is SouthernPADDLER.com, not WoodBoats.com. AND, the 'Southern' is optional. :Very Happy: I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't more "talk" here on trips, places, equipment, camping, food, and plain, old-fashioned, fun BS, etc., than there is about actually building wooden boats. Tips, hints, advice, and opinions cover a broad spectrum of the outdoor water experience. Particularly, it seems, for at least one of us who won't go venturing unless it's raining. Wink Did I say that? :Shocked:

But ... but ... but... * 8)

What about sailing, rowing and pedalers of wooden boats?

http://www.autocanoe.com/

Where else would a mainstream user of a pedal powered amphibious recumbent tricycle and a roadable pedal canoe be seen!

:p

regards,

David

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
SEE ... That is just what I was talking about ...... good ideas from everyone (David when you get it built I would like to try it). That is one Neat canoe..... Someone was thinking. Forget the car or the trailer just use the canoe to get there, then paddle & camp & return the same way.

Sand bars or low water .... What is that :?: as you just scoot over them. This is one boat that would not sit on the shore line but could be in the camp with you.

"O" Matt ..... Have you seen this canoe................ :wink: Later it will even be Lectricity powered for us lazy folks.

Jack .. You might not like it since it looks like it might have a flat botttom....... :lol: :lol: :lol:

I can see it now ... cruising up I-95 from Florida to visit swampy in the Krackerlines....Heavy rain and the cars are stalled and I just float by them.... Boy "O" Boy what would the troopers think .... Heck they could not get me since there cars would be drowned out ......Yep, the sparkey curse does have it's good sides. ...besides if they tried to stop me then all I need to do is paddle into a river and wave By By to them.. :lol:

Chuck......

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Oldtimer said:
(SNIP) Must be a helluva life getting ulcers late at night when you're tossing and turning, scared to death you might have offended some deep pockets or agonizing over how to suck-up and fawn even better. Where the Hell did Pride and Dignity and Integrity get off to?(SNIP)
I don't know about pride and dignity, I'm just plain rude. I calls'em the way I sees'em. If I like it I tell them I like it. If I don't I tell'em I don't. They don't give a damn one way or the other, and neither do I.

Difference is, I can sleep at night.

Course, I'm always polite n nice to Chucky. He's a powerful dude. After the St Mary's trip, four guys back channeled to me to tell how strong he was. Actually, they did say strong smellin, but I forgot that part.