Zip Stoves ------Question to them...... | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

Zip Stoves ------Question to them......

A

Anonymous

Friend Swampy,

It haz been a while since we talked bout 'em, but Miz Bear jest found some folks over ta Athens, Bamalama who sell Zip Stoves. They sez fer $48.99 ya kin git the stove 'n the upgradin' kit. I aint sho what ya git fer ya dollar somewhere else. He sez he jest raised the price near bout $5 cuz of the shippin'.

If ya look this fella up 'n he sounds like a yankee....hiz Dad iz frum Ohio. :wink:

Hiz $48.99 gits a stove, plus the upgrade kit with a grate 'n all. Mebbe ya got one already, but here's the web spot. It aint clear bout the upgrade kit frum the Campmor folks.

http://www.wisementrading.com/campstoves/zipztoves.htm

regards,

bearridge

P.S. He sez he even made reglar cornbread on it....but ya gotta use less water.

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Southeastern North Carolina
I don't have the up grade for my stove, but Chuck got it for hiis I believe. Get it for yourns at $6 it'll come in handy.
ZZ people didn't have that when I got mine some 15 years ago or so. I only use a pan that fits over the three little tabs at the top. Or I have just held a metal cup over the fire to get it warmed up to sip. ( the metal is all that has to get warmed up as the lips won't allow the contents to get that hot!) :lol:
The little Zip stove does an outstanding job for small heat ups of soups, canned goods, water for drinking and additives ( coffee, tea, instant oatmeal, ect.)
Out in my wood shop I cut up small bags of oak, pine , popular, and such for burning. Since it's not that much and not worth weighing to know how much it weighs I can just toss the small bag around a twart and go on my happy way. That way I may not pee off an enraged beaver along the way! :shock:
Guess I'll get the upgrade...
swampy

A

Anonymous

Friend Swampy,

Writin' clear sho iz hard ta do. I wuz tryin' ta tell ya'll that ya git that upgrade too frum the fella in Bamalama fer $48.99. The $6 upgrade iz fer folks like you who didnt git no upgrade back when they bought their stove.

I caint tell bout the one in the Campmor book. Theirs iz $47.99, but it dont tell if ya git no upgrade. It haz a $19.99 windshield 'n grill, but I dont figger thats the "upgrade".

regards,

bearridge

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Bear

The Zip Stove will do everything for you that a camp stove will do and the fuel is free, just pick it up as you paddle or hike and zip lock it. Now camping in a hammock there are always trees close by :roll: so the fuel for the stove is not a problem. :D

No need to carry extra fuel with you it is there for the taking and all you need is a spare AA battery and it does not take a lot of space or add a lot of weight to your backpack or canoe. Like the white gas or a bottle of propane would.

One problem and that is you will have to add wood to the pot for the fire and your pot will become sooty. Big deal.....I like the smell of wood smoke a lot better then I like the stink of the ole Coleman fuel being burned , besides I have never ran out of wood when camping.
Do I like my Zip Stove .... Ya Bet. Less to tote and more for me.
Chuck.

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Southeastern North Carolina
Chuck , I'll bring extra chips and let ya use them and see how much longer the pot lasts with them. Of course the hardwood burn better coals.

Bro Bar, that $19.00+ kit has an electo fan er somethin on it. A lot to pay for something you don't need. The little adjustable dampner works great.

I just bought a cheap aliluminum (sp :lol: ) dinner set. At $5 it'll get me through the next few years fine. I really think it will heat up quicker over the Zip. "Damn the sooot! Beans an franks full speed ahead!!"

swampy

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
We have a couple of posts about the Zip Stoves on here .... this one and the http://www.neilbank.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=383 one. :D

I have used my Zip Stove when out camping by myself (Some good company :lol: :lol: ) me and my Zip Stove.

This last trip (Dec ,05 .... St. Marys River) Bear had his Zip Stove with him (Like he does on all of the trips) and it never got used so on the next trip with Bear it is going to be a Zip Camping Trip. :D ......... He will get his stove dirty and learn how to use it like I have done and naturally Swampys stove is well used , he just sets it out puts the pot on it and it starts brewing coffee before he gets the wood for the stove and lights it off. :lol:

The food (fuel) for the stove is all around you when you are paddling & camping ...plus the little stove only weighs a pound but it can throw out 18,000 btu's of heat if you want it to which will boil water in two minutes as one of Swampys tests proved.

Chuck.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
oldsparkey said:
This last trip (Dec ,05 .... St. Marys River) Bear had his Zip Stove with him (Like he does on all of the trips) and it never got used so on the next trip with Bear it is going to be a Zip Camping Trip. :D ......... He will get his stove dirty and learn how to use it like I have done
Mister High Sheriff,

When ya let us down last week, I finally had to crank up my own stove. The Commodore always offers hiz percolated java, but I figgered after four years, it wuz time ta make my own. I tried that Budweiser stove ya sold me fer $29.95. I poured some ethanol inta it, then I put it inside my Zip Stove....so a small pot would set on the Zip. It burned purty dang fast, but did not boil the water, so I poured some more ethanol 'n tried agin. After three tries, it come close ta boilin'. The flames wuz mitey high.

I decided to try my Zip stove fer the first time. Miz Bear found some lighter knot shavings in a bag at Mister Sam Walton's store. I took a few pieces of beehive wood ta git the fire goin'. Fired up quick. Then I put some little sticks in it. The fan on "low" worked good. On "high", I felt like I could bend a horseshoe. :wink: Miz Ann loved it....so did Lucien. I finally made my own cup of java.....drip with Folgers Simply Smooth mixed with some self ground beans frum the S. Walton store. I poured it thru the Campmor drip coffee maker. After some mistakes (too much coffee in the strainer), I cut back on the coffee 'n made a smaller amount....that worked okay.

Now dont git me wrong. I love ta stand round with a handful a "gimmie" 'n a mouth fulla "much obliged" when the Commodore or Swampy make coffee, but ole folk like their favorite coffee. :lol:

regards
bearridge

The little boat gently drifted across the pond exactly the way a bowling ball wouldn't.  Unknown high school student

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
bearridge said:
Mister High Sheriff,

I decided to try my Zip stove fer the first time. Miz Bear found some lighter knot shavings in a bag at Mister Sam Walton's store. I took a few pieces of beehive wood ta git the fire goin'. Fired up quick. Then I put some little sticks in it. The fan on "low" worked good. On "high", I felt like I could bend a horseshoe. :wink:

regards
bearridge

The little boat gently drifted across the pond exactly the way a bowling ball wouldn't. Unknown high school student

The Zip on high puts out 18,000 BTU's per hour.

The Colemans......
Liquid stoves 10,000 BTU's
Canister stoves .. 14,000 BTU's
Dual Fuel ... 9,000 BTU's.
Exponent ...16,400 BTU's.

MSR does not list the BTU's for there Whisper lites or any of there stoves.

To top all of them , the Zip has the most heat if a person wants it , plus it can be used in a no burn area and we have even used it as a small fire place on cold mornings to warm up by , after the coffee was brewed. :lol: Plus there is no fuel to buy , just pick it from your immediate area for nothing.

One guy who used the Zip on hikes would carry a Zip Lock bag with him and as he walked along , he would see the dead branches on the trees and bushes so he would fill the bag with short 3 to 4 inch pieces as he went along.
He would have all the fuel ( dry wood) he needed at night for his stove and some for in the morning.

The alcohol stover (Budweiser can) is for warming (heating ) soups to the bubbling (boiling) point or two cups of water for coffee or tea , not a whole coffee pot full. Then with some imagination you can actually cook other stuff over them , it just takes some practice and different amounts of the alcohol in the stove , usually 1 ounce will do the trick.

It does a good job in the holder I have for it and with the stainless steel GI Mess Kit or a stainless pot and even a Titanium one.

Chuck.