17 lb pirogue.......maybe | Page 7 | SouthernPaddler.com

17 lb pirogue.......maybe

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
I've been paddling the pirogue in the bayou behind the house. I paddled up current a mile (approx. 1/2 to 3/4 mph currrent speed) and came back down at a good steady pace. Not pulling hard enough to cramp or get winded, I averaged 5 mph....so a little over 4mph net speed. I can live with that. My next one will be close to the same length and width with much smoother hull and a sharper cutwater. This boat has a rather blunt entry and the sealing job is really rough and causes tons of turbulence.

The 22" bottom with the extra flair makes it really stable. I was able to lean WAY over and get some water in over the gunnel with no tendency to tip suddenly. Using the bow rope to pull myself up, I was able to stand in the boat easily. Can't quite dance a jig, but it's stable enough to run into the soft bank and get out over the bow.......really handy in this neck of the woods.

I experimented with the seat height and got it up around 5 1/2" and still plenty stable. Good comfortable fishing height for me.

Joey

Reactions: BEARS BUDDY

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Kayak Jack said:
This experiment is a success.

Jack, I would have to give that a conditional "Yes". As far as basic dimensions.....bottom width, flair, length......it gets an A. Paddling performance, comfort, ease of entrance and exit, ........B. Materials and strength .....as designed I'd give it a C+. The way I built it.....C- to D. I still think, for the right person, it's a good , viable design. Beefed up with maybe a bit thicker aluminum and weighing in at 35 lbs or so...... a lot of bang for the buck.

I'm planning one with very similar dimensions but using a good, quality plywood. Using WRC for gunnels, chines, breasthooks and stems, and tweaking things here and there for lighter weight, I hope to get it in the low 50's weight range.

Joey

jpsaxnc

Jan 28, 2012
Hi Joey, I have an idea about re- attaching the aluminum to the framing of your boat. I would order a 1/4lb. bottle of ca. glue (Tower Hobbies) and just run a bead along each frame member and it should wick in. I would use the thin stuff, because you have a clean tight fit , I think it would stiffen up the boat noticeably.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
The alum. is pretty solidly attached with the nails. Sealing is the problem. I might just slather on some gutter caulk and use the boat until it fails. It really is a workable fishing platform.

Joey

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
jdupre' said:
The good, the bad and the UGLY. This is what I came up with to salvage this build.

100_1351.jpg

Sealed her up with PL Premium adhesive/sealant. Supposed to stick to just about everything. But, it doesn't finish up nice at all. From what I've read, this look is about normal for the product. It doesn't like to be smoothed and it actually bubbles up and expands as it cures. I've read that it can be sanded. Not too worried at this point. $4.00 a tube to save the build where the epoxy didn't stick to the aluminum. She was meant to be an experimental short trip fishing boat. I don't need slick , blinding speed. Still, not bad for the $75.00 I've got in her.

Joey

Which PL sealant did you us? I have seen the concrete/crack sealer recomended. My understanding was that if you don't "smooth" it while it is wet, it will not bubble. The roofing/chimney suposally drys like 3m5200. It can be trimmed smooth befor it sets. This was in the context of appling it in the joint as you would glue or epoxy "peanut butter".
Your choice may have been best for sealing after the fact.

beekeeper

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Well, that IS a story. The original boat used factory coated aluminum flashing, which sealed to the frame with epoxy very well. I didn't see that important detail and went with bare aluminum. The epoxy didn't seal well so, after the fact, I put on an exterior coat of PL Premium, which was ugly as sin, but sealed it up just fine. Used VERY carefully, the boat was usable. As wrote earlier, a 2 lb catfish would make serious dents in the sides. Not a hard use boat.

oldbuffpilot

May 13, 2014
Central Kansas and Central Texas
After your original post I built 2 1/2 of these in a similar manner. One is unfinished (basically unused) I think my grandson will finish and take it home next month. The first 2 were luan bottom no cloth epoxy only. They got some hard kid use, sides held up real well, but both bottoms delaminated. The unfinished one has a strip cedar bottom with 6 ounce cloth. Also I used aluminum trim coil that had a colored coating, the epoxy has held well The build post are on here somewhere.The builds were fun, but I have decided for light weight the stripped cedar was overall a better choice.
Good fish'n
Andy