1st nice fish in new pirogue | SouthernPaddler.com

1st nice fish in new pirogue

bluegrasslover

Feb 18, 2009
Willow Springs, NC
The pirogue I just built is my first boat ever. Fishing from it is the first small boat fishing I've ever done too. I hooked into a 4.5 lb bass the other night and I couldn't believe how he spun the boat around and dragged me around before I finally landed him. I thought it must have been a monster lunker. I had no idea how much a descent sized fish can drag you around!

crkdltr

Mar 3, 2009
bluegrasslover said:
The pirogue I just built is my first boat ever. Fishing from it is the first small boat fishing I've ever done too. I hooked into a 4.5 lb bass the other night and I couldn't believe how he spun the boat around and dragged me around before I finally landed him. I thought it must have been a monster lunker. I had no idea how much a descent sized fish can drag you around!

Down here we call that a Cajun sleigh ride. :mrgreen: Imagine if you were hooked on to a 25 pound redfish. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Steve

When I was a kid, about 13 or 14, I got my first canoe from a friend's dad. . . and old aluminum critter from Grumman. . . I took it out to Sabine Lake and was fishing in the salt grass for specks. . .

My mom and dad being divorced I hadn't had anyone to teach me about playing a fish out and I hung me a huge 32 incher and was trying to just bring him in, a skinny 100 lb kid trying to muscle in a big bull red. . . ain't happenin' . . . that bugger pulled me to he** 'n' back and headed for headed for the jetties. . . thankfully a man in another boat saw what was happening and came along 'n' helped. . . Cajun sleigh ride from hell. . . I laugh about it now but at the time I was scared S'less. . . Dang, what a ride. . .

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day Greg, and welcome to the dark side mate. :D

This, for many of us is the joy of canoe or kayak fishing. Not only do we catch more fish than the stink boaters, the fight is on more equal terms and every good fish landed is well and truly earned.

Bloody glad you are enjoying your pirogue mate. It only gets better from here :D