1st Timer Build Log | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

1st Timer Build Log

crkdltr

Mar 3, 2009
bluegrasslover said:
Oh crap...If the rub rails are more a pita than the ribs then I'm not looking forward to them. I spent an hour tonight just trying to bevel and line up the ribs tonight. I'm using 4 instead of 3.

Don't sweat it... if you have plenty of clamps then you should be fine. :D

rpecot

Nov 10, 2006
Katy, TX
crkdltr said:
Don't sweat it... if you have plenty of clamps then you should be fine. :D
Yes, what he said.

Actually, if you have plenty of clamps, you probably still need plenty more :lol:

rpecot

Nov 10, 2006
Katy, TX
bluegrasslover said:
You can NEVER have enough clamps...That's the first rule of woodworking, isn't it? I actually bought some more tonight. HD has some pretty descent spring clamps for .99.
Every time I go to HD I grab a handful of those.

bluegrasslover

Feb 18, 2009
Willow Springs, NC
I glued on the second rub rail tonight. Anybody else nervous that the rub rails are going to spring the boat apart? When I make the next one, I will definitely go thinner than 3/4" on the rub rails. I'm a little disappointed about one thing. I didn't get good adhesion between the rub rails and the stems. Mostly, because I had done a little sanding on them and screwed up the angle. I had to put in a single screw in the ends of each of the rub rails into the stems. I was hoping it would be without screws. Not that it's a huge deal just a pride thing I guess.

rpecot

Nov 10, 2006
Katy, TX
bluegrasslover said:
I glued on the second rub rail tonight. Anybody else nervous that the rub rails are going to spring the boat apart? When I make the next one, I will definitely go thinner than 3/4" on the rub rails. I'm a little disappointed about one thing. I didn't get good adhesion between the rub rails and the stems. Mostly, because I had done a little sanding on them and screwed up the angle. I had to put in a single screw in the ends of each of the rub rails into the stems. I was hoping it would be without screws. Not that it's a huge deal just a pride thing I guess.
Greg - sounds like you caught up with me. I glued the second rub rail on this past Saturday. Clamping got to be more art than science at the stems. I did manage to get them clamped without screws. I was very concerned that they would spring out. But so far, no mechanical fasteners on my boat :D

dangermouse01

Sep 8, 2006
Palm Bay, FL (East coast)
bluegrasslover said:
I planned and did use a screw through the rub rails into the stems for gluing but I was hoping to take it out after the glue dried. :(

If you hold a hot soldering iron to the srew for a small while to heat the screw, the epoxy will loosen its grip on the screw and you should be able to back it out. Maybe not on the first shot, but if you repeat, heat & turn it should come out. Of course if you are using something other than epoxy for bonding..........i donno.

DM

bluegrasslover

Feb 18, 2009
Willow Springs, NC
Took the clamps off of the second rub rail last night.

In this picture you can see the small gap between the rub rails and the stem that I will have to fill when I do the fillets. Also, that's the reason I added a screw to each end.
040809_202600.jpg

040809_202601.jpg

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Greg,

It haz been good watchin' that boat turn frum ugly duck inta swan. Looks like the grain iz gwine ta stand out. How bout some stain?

regards
bearridge

God favors no group.  Only religions do that.  Anonymous

rpecot

Nov 10, 2006
Katy, TX
Looking good, Greg. I may have asked you this already, but I can't remember... how long is your boat? Reason I'm asking is I think I should have gone with 4 ribs rather than 3. Mine's 14'6". A problem I'm having is that, as it sits in my garage waiting to be worked on, the bottom of the sides are bulging somewhat out of it's "fair" curve. I may flip it and let it sit in an attempt to "un-bulge" the sides.

I also plan to go clear finish on the outside and paint the ugly (in)side.

bluegrasslover

Feb 18, 2009
Willow Springs, NC
I haven't measured it but the sides were just a tad under 16'. I'll measure it tonight and let you know. I think the bottom is just a tad under 28" wide.

What color are you painting the inside? I can't decide. I was actually going to leave the inside natural and paint the outside dark green but I put the sides on the wrong way not thinking about it so now the nice wood is on the outside. Maybe I'll go with some kind of cream color.

rpecot

Nov 10, 2006
Katy, TX
bluegrasslover said:
What color are you painting the inside? I can't decide. I was actually going to leave the inside natural and paint the outside dark green but I put the sides on the wrong way not thinking about it so now the nice wood is on the outside. Maybe I'll go with some kind of cream color.
I was thinking something dark to hide mud/dirt/grime/etc. But then I thought maybe not, don't want to soak up the heat of the sun. I thought maybe battleship grey as a compromise. Also, that's the color of everything offshore. It's a very familiar color; somewhat soothing :roll:

bluegrasslover

Feb 18, 2009
Willow Springs, NC
I have a bad problem. One of the scarf joints on a rub rail came apart. The rub rail is glued to the sides so I can't really take it off and fix it. Luckily it did not break the side when it came apart. I used a couple of c-clamps to see if it would at least go back together and it's under a lot of outward pressure which probably means that trying to glue it will ever work. Glue and screws? Anyone else ever had this unfortunate problem? I'm really heartbroken right now. :cry:

crkdltr

Mar 3, 2009
bluegrasslover said:
I have a bad problem. One of the scarf joints on a rub rail came apart. The rub rail is glued to the sides so I can't really take it off and fix it. Luckily it did not break the side when it came apart. I used a couple of c-clamps to see if it would at least go back together and it's under a lot of outward pressure which probably means that trying to glue it will ever work. Glue and screws? Anyone else ever had this unfortunate problem? I'm really heartbroken right now. :cry:

Yes, it did the same for me. Do you have inwales and outwales? I just counter sunk a screw into the meatiest part of the scarf joint and screwed it down with liberal amounts of glue and applied as many clamps as I could. Since I painted my outwales I ended up doing the best I could, sanded anything that wouldn't stay down, applied a lot of wood putty, sanded smooth and painted.

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
just had a thought - course it's too late to help you now - but is your scarf joint in the center where there's the greatest bend (stress)?

next time - there's always a next time - try scarfing where there's minimum bend

rpecot

Nov 10, 2006
Katy, TX
bluegrasslover said:
One of the scarf joints on a rub rail came apart.:cry:
Damn, sorry to hear that. I have one decent looking joint and one ugly (with a capital UG) joint on my rails. I keep checking it to make sure it's holding. I feel for you.
seedtick said:
is your scarf joint in the center where there's the greatest bend (stress)?

next time - there's always a next time - try scarfing where there's minimum bend
This is exactly what happened to me on my first set of rails (you may remember the other post asking for help on scarf joints). I had so much trouble getting the joint right, I had shortened the board too much. Then, I had them clamped in place to see how they would fit, and the long one split. Right at the center. So after another trip to Home Depot I got some longer boards that would allow me to move the scarf joint off the center of the boat. Only about a foot off center, but not at the that high stress point. [crossfingers]They still seem to be holding[/crossfingers] :roll: