1st Timer Build Log | Page 4 | SouthernPaddler.com

1st Timer Build Log

bluegrasslover

Feb 18, 2009
Willow Springs, NC
Well, it looks like the repair took. Before removing the clamps I put 2 screws into the scarf from the outside. Then removed the clamps and put 2 screws in from the inside of the boat. If this ever happens to anyone else the key to getting the proper contact of the scarf use another board about 2 feet long on the inside of the boat to clamp. The curve of the boat will be much more true to what it is supposed to be as opposed to just trying to clamp the rub rail alone. I've very happy with the repair and still breathing a sigh of relief. I used high strength epoxy, not the epoxy I bought for the finish and glassing.

041109_212200.jpg

041109_212600.jpg

041109_212100.jpg

bluegrasslover

Feb 18, 2009
Willow Springs, NC
One thing you can't tell from the pictures is that the screws on the outside are very slight counter sunk so I'll be able to cover it.

I also wussed out and put 2 screws into each of the other rub rail scarfs from the inside of the boat.

bluegrasslover

Feb 18, 2009
Willow Springs, NC
Bottom is rough cut and I'm almost ready to glue it. Will either a flush trim or round over bit work well to get a closer cut? I'm probably going to try it but have to test it on the luan to see how it takes a router.

041209_211500.jpg

rpecot

Nov 10, 2006
Katy, TX
bluegrasslover said:
Bottom is rough cut and I'm almost ready to glue it. Will either a flush trim or round over bit work well to get a closer cut? I'm probably going to try it but have to test it on the luan to see how it takes a router.
I used a flush trim bit on the sides. My sides were a little proud of my rub rails, so I ran the router over them. Worked real well. I was wondering about the bottom too. With the sides not being perpendicular to the bottom, you can probably get close, but still have to sand.

BTW - you have officially passed me up :lol:

bluegrasslover

Feb 18, 2009
Willow Springs, NC
rpecot said:
I used a flush trim bit on the sides. My sides were a little proud of my rub rails, so I ran the router over them. Worked real well. I was wondering about the bottom too. With the sides not being perpendicular to the bottom, you can probably get close, but still have to sand.

Yea, I figured that about using a flush trim bit. That's why I was thinking about a round over. Seems like that would work pretty good.

bluegrasslover

Feb 18, 2009
Willow Springs, NC
I rough cut the fabric tonight and I'm going to let it rest on there and lay down as much as possible. I'm going to try and apply the epoxy either tomorrow night or Wednesday. I didn't really know how to do the ends so I just cut them to shape up to the stems and I'll apply another piece cover the stem and overlap the sides.

042009_203300.jpg

bluegrasslover

Feb 18, 2009
Willow Springs, NC
:D I did it! I got the fiber glass on. It was nearly as bad as I was expecting but it did take me a lot longer than I thought it would. It actually looks way better in person than it does in the pictures. It is still wet when I took the pictures.

Some things I learned as an amateur...

I VERY roughly cut the fabric to fit with the thought that I would apply epoxy all the way down to the rub rails then cut off the extra. Well, it only took me about 6" of trying to get that to work before I figured out that it wasn't going to work. I had to stop, get the scissors and cut it to reach just above the rub rails. MUCH easier now.

Mix in small batches. I was making the minimum I could using the pumps (about 3oz) and I thought I could double that. It really started getting a little thick. Spreadable but not wetting the glass. I also ended up using 1 plastic mixing cup for every 1 or 2 batches because I got some lumps. Have more mixing cups available than you think you'll need. I used every one I had.

One of those soft yellow plastic spreaders (I'm not sure of the actual name of them) that I got from Harbor Freight works great on the bottom. I just poured the epoxy on the bottom and spread it out with one of those. I tried the high density foam roller but didn't think that worked well at all. I had a hard time doing the sides with the spreader so I used chip brushes. I'm pretty sure I used a lot more epoxy on the sides than I should have but it was difficult spreading it thin using the chip brushes.

Go back around the sides after you're done and brush out the runs. I didn't think there would be as many runs as there were.

I used at least 6 chip brushes so make sure you have plenty on hand.

Don't leave the door to the workshop open at night while you're applying epoxy. Bug magnet!

042109_223100.jpg

042109_223200.jpg

042109_223201.jpg

crkdltr

Mar 3, 2009
Uh oh... the exterior glass is done... that means all you have left is the tape on the front/back stems and the inside seams... You might be ready to take this thing out for a test drive by next saturday :shock: :mrgreen:

rpecot

Nov 10, 2006
Katy, TX
bluegrasslover said:
:D I did it!
Great! I'm gonna try to glue down my bottom this weekend. That is, if I can find time between smoking some ribs and boiling a sack of crawfish tomorrow, and then going to Jazz Fest on Sunday. :roll:

bluegrasslover said:
Some things I learned as an amateur...

I VERY roughly cut the fabric to fit with the thought that I would apply epoxy all the way down to the rub rails then cut off the extra. Well, it only took me about 6" of trying to get that to work before I figured out that it wasn't going to work. I had to stop, get the scissors and cut it to reach just above the rub rails. MUCH easier now.
That's great to know. I was going to do the same thing.

bluegrasslover said:
Mix in small batches. I was making the minimum I could using the pumps (about 3oz) and I thought I could double that. It really started getting a little thick. Spreadable but not wetting the glass. I also ended up using 1 plastic mixing cup for every 1 or 2 batches because I got some lumps. Have more mixing cups available than you think you'll need. I used every one I had.
I didn't get the pumps, thinking I could probably eyeball it. Am I kidding myself? Is the pump worth it?

bluegrasslover said:
I used at least 6 chip brushes so make sure you have plenty on hand.
What exactly is a chip brush? :?

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
Repcot sez

"I didn't get the pumps, thinking I could probably eyeball it. Am I kidding myself? Is the pump worth it?"

Bad guess equals big mess if the mix is off. You could end up with anything from a never-curing sticky mess to a mass of smouldering blisters. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: Do not question me further of this, Grasshopper.