3 most important things | SouthernPaddler.com

3 most important things

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
List what is most important to you in the order they fall ,lets limit it to five things,the top three being the most important. Ok we are talking camping ,primitive ,not a camp ground
Here is my list
Sleeping comfortable
eating well
staying warm and dry
remotness
A fire at night
Ron

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
1. A comfortable shelter providing protection from the elements , preferably a hammock
2. Liquids with water being number 1 followed with camp fire beverages.
3. A hot meal.
4. Comfortable clothing for the season.
5. A chair or something to relax in while in camp.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
1. Location ( the farther away from civilization the better) ( Good company would trump this as a first choice :mrgreen: )
2. Shelter ( simple to put up, comfortable , protection from the elements)
3. Food ( I would include water and other liquids in this item)

Joey

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
We pretty much agree on the three most important things , now the fun things you do in camp.
For me that will be fishing , Shooting the bull with other paddlers,pellet guns and bows.
Ron

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
The Fun Things.......

For me it is mostly the sensory pleasures of being out there.

1. Seeing the Sun rise and Sun set along with all the different wildlife. ( including the paddling partners) :wink:
2. The fire at night and the smell of the wood smoke from the last bit of the fire as it dies down as you lay in the sack.
3. The stars at night along with the moon which does make a good night light when full.
4. Besides what you can see there is what you hear , the Owl hooting , a Gator growling during mating season , The night bugs with there different sounds. If I don't hear an Owl while camping I consider the trip incomplete and so far there haven't been any.

I passed the 3 limit but could list a lot more pleasures for being out there. The fun part is being there.

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Three most fun things in camp? Hell, that's easy: Blondes, brunettes, and redheads. Got any tough questions?

Then, camaraderie of the guys, stories, learning from others, single malt & seegars, hot soup, more stories.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
dawallace45 said:
Soft toilet paper
Wet wipes
Hemorrhoid cream
Comfortable place to sleep
Good food
Comfortable chair
Lack of people

I only have a fire if I'm using it for cooking and then put it out or let it burn down , I prefer to sit in the dark

David

I like your choices and especially the "Lack of People" there are times when the best camping is when there are just the three of us , Me , Myself and I. I have camped that way a lot in my life and still do.
You can set up camp where ever you fell like it , no discussion about will it hold all of us. Then you can have whatever you want for a meal and do as you please , even a fire if you want one or need it. The only person that has to be happy with where you are is Me , Myself and I.

It is also fun to be with friends but then you have to consider there likes or dislikes to have a happy campsite so everyone enjoys the outing. Both are equally enjoyable but the solo one offers more personal freedom.

dawallace45

Most of my hunting camping and fishing has been by my self because if I waited for other peoples schedules to correspond with mine I would have been only able to go about three times a year instead of twice a month but now due to some health concerns my wife has put her foot down and no more trips by my self so I find I now have to work in with other people and I have to admit that I'm just not good at it ,

I have a tendency to scope out where I want to camp and I just start setting up as I want it , most people have been quite happy to let me do my thing , most times in camp I do most of the cooking , not all the time just most times , one mate I some times camp with is a much better cook than me and I just let him go , but most of the times the people I camp with can barely boil water successfully

I can he hard at time to settle in with a new camping mate and we all have our own little foibles , now I like to have a yarn at times but I also like the quite and am quite happy to just sit and listen to the bush noises or the sound of the ocean or the river

One mate that I went shooting with once was always known as a man of few words , but I found in camp for some reason he talked non stop , just couldn't stand the lack of back ground noise , it seemed to make him nervous and he just babbled non stop the whole time , drove me crazy

David

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
I guess Evie and i are pretty unsociable. When we go camping we try to get as far away from others as we can.

Depending on where we go, we like to go fishing,

PentaxWoodgate036.jpg

Bushwalking (hiking) in the rainforest

BunyaPentaxM119.jpg

or the mountains

BunyaPentaxM224.jpg

Photography of course :D

BunyaCanon344.jpg

Getting to know some of the amazing fauna around here
Male King Parrot
BunyaCanon022.jpg

Eastern grey kangaroo and joey
BunyaPentaxM186.jpg

King Parrot getting some Evie lovin. :D
BunyaPentaxM184.jpg

Scrub Turkeys
BunyaPentaxM182.jpg

Bettong (These are a small and very shy marsupial about the size of a cat. i think they are a member of the kangaroo family)
BunyaPentaxM079.jpg

Bettong
BunyaPentaxM167.jpg

Bettong
CaniaPentax117.jpg

Good food

BunyaPentaxM169.jpg

and sharing it with the locals (Eastern Rosellas (parrots)

CaniaPentax138.jpg

CaniaPentax134.jpg

Or just kicking back in camp with an adult beverage or two.

CMorelandPentax009.jpg

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
My God, what a country you have. The states have a lot to offer in terms of scenery, but the pictures you post of your homeland are stunning.

And bourbon, too!

George

rhutchinson

Jan 18, 2008
Middle Tn.
Hello Mick. Would you mind telling us what those critters are in the pics, especially the furry critter your lady is hand feeding? I can guess at some of them, others I can't.

Thanks
Richard