A bit cockeyed, but I like her | SouthernPaddler.com

A bit cockeyed, but I like her

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Mudd,

Danged if I can tell how you got that boat up onto the wall! Makes a nice wall hanging for nick knacks and such.

Keep the lawn mower in the boat. If Chuckie ever rides with you, you'll need it to cut weeds on the bottom of the lake or river or wherever he is with you. (We don't call him "Overboard" for nuthin'!)

cctyer

Apr 20, 2007
Short Shorts, Arkansas
My neck hurts! keep the pics coming Mudd. The lawn mower adds a touch of flare to the boat. What horse power is she gonna be? :wink: All kidding aside it looks like you are at about the same stage as I am building. The guy's here have made me feel right at home. Kind of like getting a big noogie from an older brother.......... hang on a sec.............I am fightng back a tear as I type this..............um..............er... ah.. where was I? Oh yeah great job so far. I think this whole process is very cathartic and helps me release stress from work.

Good luck with the rest of your boat and judging bye your handle (muddlerOH) you are probably a fellow fly fisherman. well if that's the case we really are in the same boat! you paddle right and I'll paddle left and vise versa.

MuddlerOH

Apr 24, 2007
Dayton Ohio
Cockeyed

Well, its not just the boat that's cockeyed, but the pictures as well. 6HP pirogue if I keep the mower, may take her over 45 lbs though so I am reconsidering. After all those clean shop/garage photos I just had to show what its like to build in a 1 and 1/3 car garage with 4 bikes, wheelbarrows, red wagons, basketballs a mower and a partridge in a pear tree.

CCtyer, I hope that this will be a nice shallow water fly fishing transport, or maybe for slow moving rivers.

Well, off to mulch so I can get back to the boat.

Thanks,

Mudd

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
YES !!!!!! A cluttered working area is diffidently the results of an organized mind. Or in my case a person who is running out of room.

Down here in the land of Heat , Humidity , Hurricanes and smoke ( Use to be called Florida) we have to keep things inside. Florida , a non smoke free state , cough , gasp , choke.

Chuck.

cctyer

Apr 20, 2007
Short Shorts, Arkansas
Maybe I should have wrote. I find it therapeutic? :wink: Yeah that works to! Either way I get into what I'm doing and forget about daily bull! Same thing when I'm fly fishing or tying flies! I'm sure I will get the same enjoyment from paddling as all of you folks do!
Can't wait!

Chad

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
Kayak Jack said:
NO - not therapeutic - cathartic fits much better here. Both in process and in product.

The shrink says therapy is a waste of time around here :lol: :lol: :lol:

Building and paddling boats are as Jack says, the second and third most fun you can have.

MuddlerOH

Apr 24, 2007
Dayton Ohio
and the beat goes on (update and a question)

Well, life intruded and it took awhile to get back on track. I did not realize it, but it has been about two months since I started.

Progress, slow but sure, continues. Also, I have a question.

Here are pictures with the bottom attached. I even swept the garage first after seeing Cctyers spic and span digs. Three photos show progress and the other, a problem. That photo is an are where the epoxy did not form a seal. There are 3 or 4 of these areas, about 3 to 8 inches in length. Will a filet of epoxy and wood flour address this, should I re-epoxy and use clamps or is there a third option?

BTW, a friend of mine lent me a mini belt sander and sanding the edges of the floor to meet the sides was a breeze. I highly recommend this.

http://s180.photobucket.com/albums/x90/MuddlerOH/?action=view&current=DSCN0167.jpg

http://s180.photobucket.com/albums/x90/MuddlerOH/?action=view&current=DSCN0165.jpg

http://s180.photobucket.com/albums/x90/MuddlerOH/?action=view&current=DSCN0161.jpg

http://s180.photobucket.com/albums/x90/MuddlerOH/?action=view&current=DSCN0159.jpg

Steve/Mudd

cctyer

Apr 20, 2007
Short Shorts, Arkansas
Hey Mudd, good to see your back. I know how life can get in the way of things at times. The boat looks like it's coming along great. How long is she gonna be?

WARNING :shock: I had a place on mine that did the same thing. I just glued it again and put weights on it. Although I put too much weight on it and the side bowed in some there and now I have a wavy spot in that section of the boat. It's a minor flaw but I learned from it. Also putting to much weight will squezze out all of the epoxy goodness and leave the joint starved. I also found that adding some wood flour to the epoxy to thicken it helped in some applications as well.
After you get the inside fillets in then it will hold much better and you can sand the bottom to shape. Just don't take off to much material or you will end up with a void or a very thin bottom on the edge.

keep us posted,

Chad

MuddlerOH

Apr 24, 2007
Dayton Ohio
Nothing serious came up, just the same ol' stuff; work got busy, went on a family vacation, the house, the yard, some existential ennui. All those things that can interfere with the highest and best things in life like good coffee, pirogue building and finding the perfect horseradish sauce for a rare roast beef sandwich.

Thanks for the tip. I am leaning toward letting the epoxy just start to thicken and then re-applying epoxy and using a clamp. I got a few 24 inch clamps from this same friend and will probably use those. A friend who is a general contractor is a great source for tools that one rarely needs, but which are essential when needed.

I need to measure, post floor attachment, but I think she will come in at just under 13 feet.

Steve

cctyer

Apr 20, 2007
Short Shorts, Arkansas
Man that sandwich sounds good. :) I make my horseradish sauce with about a table spoon of good horseradish and add an almost equal amount to taste of sour cream. It's mmm good on rare prime rib.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
My Dad used ta raize hiz own.....horseradish. I made up a batch back in the 80's. I put a label on the jar....ta warn the little pards. "Sadaam's Delight". If ya leaned over the blender, it burnt yer eyes......teared up like that ole Italian fella went he seen all the trash in floatin' in the river.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
When I was kid, we always raised and ground our own horseradish. One summer night, when I was about 5 or 6, Mom had ground up a bowl of it, sat it on the kitchen table, and turned to another chore. I came in form outside, hooked the screen door, and walked over tho the bowl. I took a D-E-E-P whiff, and B A N G inside my head.

I went right back out through that screen door, never pausing to unhook the latch.

MuddlerOH

Apr 24, 2007
Dayton Ohio
Revenge of the Wife

Tonight I came home from work, expecting to fix my faulty pirogue seams. I walked out to my garage and found the following-

http://s180.photobucket.com/albums/x90/MuddlerOH/?action=view&current=DSCN0169.jpg

She has disassembled a piece of furniture and is painting the same. In the garage. Where I am building my pirogue. What the heck. Doesn't she realize that others may have to use the garage and that she cannot just fill it with projects and let them sit. Hmmm.... That may not be the best avenue of argument to pursue.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Politely inform her that, "The (whatever piece of furniture it is) will have to be trimmed by - OOOHHHH say about 6 inches (or whatever dimension seems to make sense) so it will properly fit inside the boat."

This will immediately let her know that she has transgressed upon sacred territory, and had best turn tail and run. I'm sure that she will see the wisdom of your leadership.

If she doesn't, Chuck has a spare room in his shed. (Whenever HE isn't sleeping in it.)

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
MuddlerOH...

Is your wife from New Jersey , mine is and she loves to do stupid stunts like that.
What's mine and what I'm working on is no where as important as what ever she has dreamed up to do. Only way I managed to make head way was to tell her about the snakes living in the work shop and how , when you go to get something , that is not a piece of hose you grabbed.

Then I cut up a old black hose and threw parts of it around in the shop. :lol:

Chuck.
PS. This is one benefit of having a messy workshop.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Mudd,

There is some kind of snake pestering along the Lake Erie coast. Can't remember much about it, but have a buddy there. If you need the info, I can get markings for you so you know what kind of garden hose to buy.

On the other hand, if your wife isn't familiar with its markings, then ANY hose will work.

Ohio, like Nam, has 5 kinds of snakes. Four of them are poisonous, and the fifth one eats you whole.