A bit cockeyed, but I like her | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

A bit cockeyed, but I like her

MuddlerOH

Apr 24, 2007
Dayton Ohio
One problem solved, Additional Advice Needed

Well, the wife issue resolved itself. I helped with her project and we got it done in a day or so. BTW, snake thing would not have bothered her as she is a former member of the Ohio Herpetological Society. And before we go commenting on any names or anyone's wife, that is a group that studies reptiles. (No wonder she married a lawyer).

My question is about filets. I know I am supposed to glass first, but is that with straight epoxy or the stuff thinned with acetone. Any help appreciated. I hope to start the filet process tomorrow.

Mudd/Steve

cctyer

Apr 20, 2007
Short Shorts, Arkansas
Mudd, the fillets go in before the glass to radius the sharp corners facilitating much easier glass application to said corners. That lawyer speak stuff is real nifty :lol:
Anywho, after putting masking tape along all the joints about a 1/2" on either side mix up about 3 oz of epoxy (work in one section at a time) and add enough wood flour to make the epoxy like a paste or putty.You will know when it's right.
Then take a quart size zip lock plastic bag and turn the edges over a jar or container that will allow you to put he putty into the bag. cut a small corner out of the bag and spooge it out like it's cake icing into the taped corners. then take the tounge depresser and scrape along the joint with the rounded end of course at 90 degrees and your left with a nice neat rounded fillet. As you work you can scrape the excess putty into a plastic cup and reuse it in sections that are thin or need more material. Don't play with it to much and let it set up for a bit till it's tacky. then peel off the tape before it becomes part of the boat. Then you can glass after all is dry and lightly sanding the inside

It's all good Mudd. Here are some pics of the process.

P5220015.jpg

P5220016.jpg

P5230017.jpg