A Dual Purpose Salsa Rum Chicken | SouthernPaddler.com

A Dual Purpose Salsa Rum Chicken

Steve

Pour some rum into your pot about a 1/4" deep.
Add one whole chicken and pour one large jar of Pace Picante sauce over that. (Of course, Russ, could probably use HIS hearty salsa 8) . . . I use the hot salsa but lighter weight stomachs may prefer the mild stuff.)
Cover and cook under the chicken is ready to fall apart at the touch.
Cook up enough rice to have a little left over. And the same with a vegetable.
Serve up over the rice with the veggie on the side.
After eating, add leftover rice and veggie to the pot with the chicken and when re-heated you have yourself one outstanding chicken soup. (One word of caution. . .the picante will be much more spicy in the soup stage after having set for a while. That's why I said lighter weight stomachs may prefer the mild salsa.)

Works just as well in a slow cooker at home as it does in a dutch oven in camp. . .

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Steve,
That Sir, sounds good. Will show this to Mrs. B. Also want her to make more of Jacks Dark and Dusky Chicken. That is good. Did you try some of it at Keith's shindig?
Jack,
You ought to put the receipe on here so other people can enjoy it also. Should work with ham too.
Bob

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Chicken - Dark & Dusky (as best as I can recall)

3-4 chicken breasts, 1" cubes, marinate in the refrigerator, in: 1 pint beer, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup salt/ 1/2-1 tsp liquid smoke (I used hickory, others would work as well), juice of a lime (or lemon), 1 tsp powdered mustard, 1 tsp powdered ginger (or slices of fresh would be even better), and about 3-6 cloves of minced garlic.

After a day or so in a large, Ziploc bag (can easily turn to assure total coverage and good immersion of chicken chunks), put chicken into a crockpot separately. (I like to use a crockpot liner bag, because I'm lazy and that makes for easier cleanup). Add a couple tsps of corn starch to marinade, mix well, and pour over chicken. Cook on low 6-8 hours.

One could add goodies to the chicken like, say, mushrooms, orange sections, cherry tomatoes, but not pickled pig's feet. (You DO have to show some restraint now and then, ya know!) Yakus Eye-tal-eeanicus would likely add stuff like gobs of pizza dough, old wine bottles, and another shovel full of garlic.
(sigh)

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Steve......

Just a few questions

When you use the rum is it a Light or Dark rum and please don't tell me Captain Morgan spiced rum , that stuff reminds me of cooking vanilla. :x
Can the chicken be in pieces and not whole or is the whole bird a better choice. I'm thinking of using several pieces of the breast meat.

Chuck.

Steve

Chuck, you can add the chicken however you want to do it. . . I just prefer to throw it in whole, bone and all. . . for me one of the joys of eatin' chicken is suckin' da marrow out dem cooked bones. . . :D

Oh, yeah . . . you can use any rum ya like. . . I use whatever happens to be under the bar at the tinme. . .

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Wannabe said:
Jack,
After the Shindig Chuck dissapeared em like he said he was gonna do. :(
Bob

Bob...

You are correct , I did a search and it is nowhere on here to be found. It had to be in the trip planning section which vanishes after the trip or shindig is over with and is old news. Not a good place to put stuff you want to keep.

Simple reason is that it is not in the being planned stages anymore and the actual happening/item/occurrence is in the trips section or should be. :roll:

Chuck.
PS. If anyone would think back I did post a notice that it would vanish ( as a 2nd reminder) a week later after the party was over and I got home from the party and the Brazos River , which was more then a week later.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
oldsparkey said:
When you use the rum is it a Light or Dark rum and please don't tell me Captain Morgan spiced rum , that stuff reminds me of cooking vanilla.
Dang, ya must hate cookin' vanilla. [grin]

Why aint this in the Geezer Cafe section? [chuckle]

regards
bearridge