A Feast of Fish..... Some Good Eating. | SouthernPaddler.com

A Feast of Fish..... Some Good Eating.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
OK ...... get ready to go fihing so you can get the ingredients for these recipies. :)

BAKED FISH FILLETS

2 lbs fish fillets
2 tbsp lemon juice
1/4 cup soften butter
1/2 cup grated parmesan
1/2 cup mayo
1/4 tsp dry mustard
1/4 tsp tarragon
Paprika

Sprinkle fillets with salt & pepper in a shallow baking pan. Combine other ingredients , spread generously on fish , sprinkle with paprika and bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes. Can also be cooken on the grill with tin fol.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OYSTER CASSEROLE

1 pt oysters
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup chopped celery
1/4 cup chopped/minced onion
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp white pepper
1 clove garlic
1 tsp lemon juice
1/2 cup cream
2 cups Ritz crackers crumbled
1/2 cup graded parmesan cheese

Saute onions & celery in butter until soft. Mix drained oysters in the sauce and cook until they curl around the edges. Place in a casserole and other ingredients , top with cheese , bake until bubbly about 20 min at 400

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CATFISH CHOWDER

2 lbs catfish fillets
2 cups fish stock
2 cups lt.cream or milk
4 potatoes , peeled & diced
2 stalks celery , diced
2 tsp salt
1 clove of garlic
2 medium onions ,sliced
1/4 cup butter
1/2 tsp white pepper
1/2 cup sherry

Saute onions and celery in bacon drippings until tender. Add all other ingredients except milk and cook over medium heat until the potatoes are done. Add milk , heat on low .Do not let the milk boil.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BOUILLABAISSE .. Cajun Chowder

2 lbs fish fillets cut into pieces
1 lb shrimp , shelled
2 softshell turtles , cleaned and parboiled until tender,cut into small pieces
6 blue craabs , boil and remove the meat or one 7 1/2 oz czn of crab.
12 clams or one 7 1/2 oz can of clam meat
1 med onion sliced and 1/2 cup diced green onions
1/2 cup celrey chopped
1/2 cup green pepper
1/2 cup mushrooms
1/4 cup chopped parsley
2 one lb cans tomatoes
2 cloves garlic
1/2 tsp htyme
1/2 tsp saffron
2 bay leaves
1/2 cup oil
1 cup white wine
Hot Sauce to taste
2 cups fish stock

Saute veggies in oil until soft , about 10 min. Add wine , stock , tomatoes and bring to a boil. Add fish ect , cookover med heat about 15 min then turn on low and simer 20 min. Serve with french bread and garlic butter.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
COQUILLES

1 1/2 lb fish chunks , scallops or shrimp
1 cup white wine
1 tsp saly
1/4 tsp white pepper
2 tbsp minced parsley
1/4 tsp thyme
1/2 cup chopped green onions
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup butter
4 eggs beaten
2 cups package stuffing mix
Swiss Cheese slices

Saute oinons , celery and parsley until tender. Add fish , wine ,water and seasonings,cook 5 min. Mix inbeaten eggs and stuffing, spoon into individual buttered shells. Bake at 350 for 25 min. Top with slices of swiss cheese and broil on the lowest rack until the cheese melts.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FISH STOCK
Place fish skeletons in a large soup pot add any vegies you want , onion , celery,parsley,carrots,bay leaf and about a quart of water. Boil 15 min and simmer 1 hour. Strain and freeze to keep.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SEVICHE... I do this with shrinp or lobster and it is darn good This is a South American way to cook fish with lime or lemon juice.

2 lbs fish , white meat , cut into 1 inch pieces
1 cup lime juice (fresh is best)
1/4 cup chopped green onions
1 tbsp chopped pimento
2 tbsp chopped green pepper
1 clove garlic minced
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 tsp oregano
2-4 dashes tabasco

Combine all ingredients and sprinkle with salt. Cover and refrigerate at lese 6 hours or overnight (overnight is best) .Drain and serve on a bed of lettuce with lemon wedges.
( I will make this on Friday at 5 PM and then we will have it on Saturday at 5 PM..I let it sit (cook) for 24 hours. )

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

SPICEY REDFISH ( any fish can be used for this)

2 lb redfish fillets cut in strips
1/2 cup melted butter
1 tsp grated orange rind
1/2 tsp curry powder
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 cup orange juice (fresh if possable)
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 tbsp cornstarch
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp garlic salt
1/4 cup sliced almonds

Place fish in baking dish , salt lightly. combine all sauce ingredients (not the almonds) and cook over med heat until thicken ( about 7 min) stirring constantly. Pour sauce over fish , top with almonds and bake for 25 min at 400.

Chuck.

Jean

Fish sounds good to me

What time is dinner Swampy? :p

Boy those recipes sound good Chuck :!:

I got this recipe and it sounds like a healthier hush puppy.

Hush Puffins

1 cup cornmeal
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup onion -- finely chopped
1 tsp dill weed(optional)
1 egg
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup olive oil

Preheat oven to 450 F. Generously grease 8 muffin cups (1/3 cup
capacity each).
Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl; mix well. Spoon into muffin
cups, filling about 2/3 full. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes. Remove from
muffin pan immediately. Serve warm.

Makes 8 muffins

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Jack, before you say it, I know everything I make has a BIG onion! :p :lol: I guess my thinker stopped on the words :shock: , I have only been able to think of one other with only one letter changed- Smacaroni- being brutal with a noodle.

Jean

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Darn!!!

Lakes are just starting to freeze over, now I gotta wait 'til there hard enough to drill some holes and get the fixn's for my meal. Guess the lakes are already frozen over in Florida to get some ice fish'n in!

( You might say that (sure has felt that way) but we still have to buy the ice down at the store.. :roll: ...Chuck )

pancho

Nov 29, 2003
Idaho falls Idaho
Be careful with that Ceviche. DONT use ANY kind of fish that spend any time whatsoever in fresh water. Such as Salmon, Trout or catfish. as no heat is used in cooking it, you can easily aquire parasites that can really mess up yeer week. Always cook freshwater fish.

aub77

Nov 15, 2003
Birmingham, Alabama
I tried the baked fish recipe at the top of this thread. Fabulous! Best baked fish I have done yet. I was a little leary of the mayonaise ingredient probably because I am not much of a cook but it pretty much cooks away. Probably just keeps things good and moist. Great recipe. Thanks, Chuck! Definitely a keeper--both Chuck and the recipe!

( Wow , Thank's for the good words ...All I want to know is when is supper :?:
Chuck.)

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Southeastern North Carolina
we just finished supper with the BAKED FISH FILLETS
as guests. They were great Chuck! Joel II saw the red fish recipe and he's now talking about going fishing tonight for reds. Good. I can eat fish tomorrow night as well! lol
Thanks again for the recipes Chuck and all!

swampy

pancho

Nov 29, 2003
Idaho falls Idaho
I bake fish all the time in the summer. Just mix half and half sour cream and mayo, mix in yeer favorite seasonings I like Montreal steak seasoning.
Bake until fish is flaky yummy.
have used on Cod, Salmon, Halibut, an Trout

andrewp

Aug 27, 2003
Orlando, FL
I remember this recipe, and it sounds funny but tastes great!!

1-2 lbs white fish fillets (your choice of fish)

1 8oz package of Philadelphia cream cheese

1 package of instant or quick-fix wild (brown) rice

Butter or PAM to coat cassarole dish

1 8" square cassarole dish (glass)

a couple of toothpicks

Prepare the wild rice per instructions. Once completed set aside.

Butter (or PAM) your backing dish. Place fish fillets in dish. Top fish filets with spread of cream cheese. Top cream cheese with portion of wild rice.

Now, pin the fillets closed and turn the fillets on their side. You now have a "pinwheel" of fish, cream cheeze, and rice. Bake in oven (350-400) for 7-10 minutes or until fish looks to be flakey and done.

The cream cheeze gives the fish a slightly "sweet" flavor and retains moistness while the wild rice adds some "ooomp" ......

Enjoy.