A little fly fishing | SouthernPaddler.com

A little fly fishing

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Went out on Lake Verret exploring for a couple of new places to fish.

100_0935.jpg

The first couple of bayous and canals were really muddy due to the downpour we had yesterday. Paddled about a mile past the last camp on the east bank and found a tiny natural bayou that had some good looking water and started throwing a popping bug. About the fifth cast, this little guy smacked the bug.

100_0936.jpg

Followed a few minutes later by these guys.

100_0937.jpg

100_0938.jpg

Caught a couple more and then the action slowed. I decided I would drop in at my neice's camp. No one was there so I kicked back on the porch and ate the salami sandwich I brought.

100_0940.jpg

This is a typical camp for the area, but some people have a rather elevated idea of what a "camp "should be.

100_0934.jpg

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I sure like your niece's camp , that would make a good place to live and really enjoy the outdoors. A porch to sit under when it is sunny or if it is raining and stare out at the lake. Better yet a good sleeping area in the summer if the bugs are not really bad and fishing right off the dock.
Bad weather , inside listing to the rain on the roof while just kicking back and enjoying all the wonders of being out there away from the stuff we put up with everyday. Did I say I really like the cabin , it is pure relaxation , down here we call it a Cracker Cabin. :D
( Cracker Cabin , nothing but comfort , good times and a wonderful place in the woods or on the water to get away from everything and revert back to the simple times of life. Sometimes it is called a fishing camp or hunting camp , by Yankees. )

Now you never told us about that and I can understand why after looking at the beautiful kayak she made. Her taste in boats is identical to yours , must be something that runs in the family.

The picture gave it away , I can see the bow of the boat you used ( lower left of the 5th picture) to get to the cabin so you could paddle her wood boat. :roll: :wink: :wink: :lol:

Chuck......
PS. Throw some grits off the end of the dock , providing there are some left over when you or they have them ..... Great bream attractors along with catfish. Don't Ask......... :lol:

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Yeah, Chuck, imagine my surprise when I paddled up and saw that nice looking kayak on her wharf. :) I'll have to borrow it sometime.

The camp is a nice place to visit but I surely would never own one. While sitting on the porch, I saw a dozen things that needed fixing. There's ALWAYS something to fix. If a boat is a hole in the water into which you throw money, a camp is a platform above the water that you stack money on. My niece and her husband are workaholics. When they bought the camp a few years back, the first thing they did was add a bedroom on the back. This entailed wading through knee deep mud and hip deep water to hand drive small pilings to build a floor to attatch to the existing camp. NO THANKS!

Joey

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
jdupre' said:
Yeah, Chuck, imagine my surprise when I paddled up and saw that nice looking kayak on her wharf. :) I'll have to borrow it sometime.

Joey

Yep , I did a little fishing about the kayak and it's builder .....as normal you are a good sport about it , like you always are, a true gentleman. I would suggest that you use it all the time since they will be working on that cabin and not out fishing , camping in hammocks and doing the things we like. A hammock is a lot less maintenance and it can be put up anywhere. :D

Grant you a cabin is a lot of work , just like keeping a home up and in running shape but a cabin does offer a lot more relaxation when everything is completed. Cabins like that are great for us retired folks or a club of close friends who will share in the work.

I know I will never be able to afford one so my cabin in the woods is the hammock and a tarp to sit under when it rains.... Low maintenance , cheep to replace and can be put up anywhere with no taxes to pay , overhead , or rebuilding after the initial purchase. :lol: :lol: :lol: Might call us water Gypsy's when it comes to camping and being outdoors. When I leave an area there is nothing but foot prints and a rain removes them. No one knows I was ever there. :D

A good boat , a comfortable place to sleep and something to eat..... we are happy. When tired of the view ... on to another area , here or someplace else. Variety is the Spice of life.
Like a good friend explained it to me ... No Anchors on me , I go and do what I want and he sure does it , more then any of us have ever done it , here and elsewhere . :D

Something I use to do around here , no one ever knew I had been there ....now days it is doctor appointments , medication and all the rest , a lot more planning is required to do what I use to do. To be honest it really stinks , getting older is for the birds.

The up side is I am camping at home , the wife is gone for a week while the one daughter has skin cancer surgery and the some plastic surgery to repair the damage to her nose. She is over there with her so right now this place is my camping cottage...... baring my Doc appt's for a couple of vertebrates out of whack that moved a few ribs out of where they should be make's moving and especially sleeping really a problem. :x I can't even get out and work on the Skiff right now.

Chuck.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
I'll gladly give up a few creature comforts of a stationary camp for the flexibility of a hammock setup. Compact, versatile, and very little maintenance. Throw in a little grub and a sleeping bag and you can change scenery according to your whims.

Joey

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
jdupre' said:
I'll gladly give up a few creature comforts of a stationary camp for the flexibility of a hammock setup. Compact, versatile, and very little maintenance. Throw in a little grub and a sleeping bag and you can change scenery according to your whims.

Joey

Every day on a different river in a different location .......... :D

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
oldsparkey said:
<SNIP> my cabin in the woods is the hammock and a tarp to sit under when it rains.... Low maintenance , cheep to replace and can be put up anywhere with no taxes to pay , overhead , or rebuilding after the initial purchase. :lol: :lol: :lol: Might call us water Gypsy's when it comes to camping and being outdoors. <SNIP> A good boat , a comfortable place to sleep and something to eat..... we are happy. When tired of the view ... on to another area , here or someplace else. <SNIP>
That's the way I think about it too. I paddle past a lot of places I'd like to visit, but if I owned one of them I'd sell it and use the money for something I wanted more.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Belly Buster, an even better base camp is one of Joey's "high" camps - that's almost anywhere more than 3" above water level. Cypress bayous are very different from our Great Lakes country, you betcha.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
Belly Buster, an even better base camp is one of Joey's "high" camps - that's almost anywhere more than 3" above water level. Cypress bayous are very different from our Great Lakes country, you betcha.

I know what you are saying....... My river trips I consider a permanent place as a spot where I like to go all the time during the year or on a different river and spend a night or several nights there...... The difference is when I leave there there is nothing but foot prints left and the 1st rain removes them.... Definitely not a Base Camp ( Man made shelter ) where a group can go to anytime of the year.

I can also understand what he was talking about on the Base Camp.

Down here we call then hunting or fishing camps. A central area for everyone to enjoy and then radiate out from there for there fun and what they want to do. A shelter for them as security and to return to if they want to use it. It gives a person the commodity of being with friends or going out on there own. Actually the best of both worlds and if I may say so some really good chow at the Base Camp.
1st Kill is the camp chow when hunting.... Same when fishing , you limit out back to camp and everyone gets to enjoy your success.
There have been some good times by doing that , same as taking out on my own..... The best of both worlds. :D

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Kayak Jack said:

Yeah, we have a saying around here ..." A ridge is a place where you only have to use knee boots instead of hip boots." :mrgreen:

I envy you guys from the higher elevations. Y'all can camp on sand bars up to the ordinary high water mark. Here, the high water mark may be 1/2 mile back from the water's edge. Technically, maybe it would be legal to camp in that area here, but you might have to contend with a landowner with a 12 guage.

Joey

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
hey joey man that is a nice catch. you should have throw-ed them in the grease.fish is better than a sandwich. :wink: :) that is a some pretty places both of them. i have to agree with chuck i believe i like the old fashioned one. since you don,t like cabins i don,t guess your niece would want to donate to anyone? :wink: :D :lol: i believe i could find use for it.

hey joey & the rest of you Louisiana geezers with youalls pretty places like this to fish & paddle i posted one on it awhile back. but with the oil catastrophe still going on in the gulf i have to ask you guys since you know better than anyone whats the chance of the oil getting into these places & destroying them? i guess like they said if there happened to be a hurricane it would make matters worse. :x :(

looks like it gonna destroy everything before they get it contained shrimp,fish,oysters&tourist & economy.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Catfish, Lake Verrett is about 30 miles from where the marsh starts. I can't see a hurricane backing up oil that far, but anything's possible. Now ,the marshes could really suffer with hurricane winds pushing oil inland. Marshes are as much water as they are land and are not much of a barrier to waves several feet high carrying a load of oil. If they cap the well tomorrow it'll still be years before the marshes recover here.

Just think about us the next time you fill up your vehicle with gas. No pity. Just be aware of that the nice things in life have a price.
Joey

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
joey ,tick,piper and all you other geezers over that way my thoughts are with you guys. joey you are right even when they done get it contained it will be a long long time before mother nature will heal herself. :( who knows joey i guess it could even end up on our side (atlantic)

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
catfish said:
joey ,tick,piper and all you other geezers over that way my thoughts are with you guys. joey you are right even when they done get it contained it will be a long long time before mother nature will heal herself. :( who knows joey i guess it could even end up on our side (atlantic)

Tell you what, if that oil slick ever gets up around Martha's Vineyard area THEN you'll see some action being taken. People from around that neck of the woods got bent out of shape because of a few windmills. Oil on their beaches would make them freak.

Joey

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
JD
I have a few spots like that in this part of the country but they are my wintertime places. I am fixing to start the Northwind in the next few days and have been toying with the I deal of being able to make a net and tarp where you could sleep in the boat if you needed to . Might be interesting.
Ron

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Ron, that's an interesting idea. Maybe you could use flexible bows to attach the net and tarp to-- kind of like the old Conastoga wagons. You could attach the net under the cowling lip with elastic to keep the bugs out.

Joey